Chevy SSR Forum banner
11,621 - 11,640 of 14,825 Posts
Reactions: Firetruck
I took Tuckerred out on about a 40 mile jaunt to stir the fluids, charge the battery and also filled the fuel tank to prevent condensation issues while it sits during the bad weather.
The last time I had fired the truck up was to go to Athens on I think the 13th of November for a Georgia Fanatic lunch, so it had set up for a full 8 weeks and I was getting concerned that the battery might go flat after all of the issues fellow Fanatics seem to have with batteries, and it is not on a tender. Spun over like a champ, you would have thought I had driven it yesterday. I have assembled all of the front-end pieces I think I'll need to put on Mike's front shocks soon, then my springtime project is to take the whole truck down to Mike @Dragon2U to put in stepper motors and change my IC faceplate to a red one. Possibly fix my right door latch too. Does anyone know if it is worthwhile or even possible to replace the stepper in the volt-meter? Generally, it will be either pegged at 0 or indicate 16 volts (not pegged), though randomly I'll get what looks right at about 13 to 14V.
Bad weather coming in the next few days if the weatherperson is correct.

I took Tuckerred out on about a 40 mile jaunt to stir the fluids, charge the battery and also filled the fuel tank to prevent condensation issues while it sits during the bad weather.
The last time I had fired the truck up was to go to Athens on I think the 13th of November for a Georgia Fanatic lunch, so it had set up for a full 8 weeks and I was getting concerned that the battery might go flat after all of the issues fellow Fanatics seem to have with batteries, and it is not on a tender. Spun over like a champ, you would have thought I had driven it yesterday. I have assembled all of the front-end pieces I think I'll need to put on Mike's front shocks soon, then my springtime project is to take the whole truck down to Mike @Dragon2U to put in stepper motors and change my IC faceplate to a red one. Possibly fix my right door latch too. Does anyone know if it is worthwhile or even possible to replace the stepper in the volt-meter? Generally, it will be either pegged at 0 or indicate 16 volts (not pegged), though randomly I'll get what looks right at about 13 to 14V.
Just a thought on the red faceplate. I know two that did red and didn't care for it because it was difficult to read. Just one man's opinion....

Just a thought on the red faceplate. I know two that did red and didn't care for it because it was difficult to read. Just one man's opinion....
Great, I agonized over this at length before I bought the plate, looking at pics I found on our site. Originally, I was going to go with white with red needles courtesy Dragon2U but thought the red would pick up the red trim & the waterfall. If I end up disliking it, it can always be changed out again. Such is life. 😟

take the whole truck down to Mike @Dragon2U to put in stepper motors and change my IC faceplate to a red one.
I agree--IF, I changed the face's I would go with White. To me they look the best. BUT everybody to their thing.

Nick

@SWT RYD I recently purchased a white face plate from a fellow Fanatic and would like to do the blue lights as well. Appreciate the pictures so I know what it will look like. I think Thunder will like it! 💙
Do you have the link for the blue LED's? Thanks!

@SWT RYD I recently purchased a white face plate from a fellow Fanatic and would like to do the blue lights as well. Appreciate the pictures so I know what it will look like. I think Thunder will like it! 💙
Mike (@Dragon2U) supplied and install them. Give him a shout. Can't beat his price.

I replaced my OEM faceplate by Dragon2u with a silver one with LED’s. He informed me the newer ones are tinted blue. You might want to try holding an LED light behind the replacement to see if it’s tinted already. Painted my OEM needles orange and are really easy to see. A must upgrade for a PAC BLUE SSR.
Speedometer Car Odometer Motor vehicle Tachometer
Speedometer Vehicle Odometer Car Motor vehicle

The volt meter I don't think uses a stepper motor. When key is off it will read 0 when the key is on but engine not running it will show actual battery voltage around 12 volts, when engine is running it will read higher with alternator out put close to 15 volts. Yours sounds like it is working properly or normally I guess I should say.

The volt meter I don't think uses a stepper motor. When key is off it will read 0 when the key is on but engine not running it will show actual battery voltage around 12 volts, when engine is running it will read higher with alternator out put close to 15 volts. Yours sounds like it is working properly or normally I guess I should say.
No, there is definitely an issue here. Key off it goes to 0, that would certainly be normal. If it has been sitting a while(days) if you turn the key on usually still at 0, although I cannot say there have not been times when it responds in a normal fashion and moves somewhere, just not regularly. Start truck and the gauge will probably stay at 0 or occasionally move into the 13-14V range which I consider normal. If it has remained at 0 it will stay there until you have driven some distance, maybe a mile maybe 10 miles at which point it comes alive and again moves to what I think is its normal range. After this it will gradually move on up to the 15-16V range and usually stay there for the remainder of the day if you continue to drive it, even during multiple start-stop cycles. I guess what I need to do is get an independent voltmeter and compare the system voltage at the alternator vs what the gauge reads.
Thanks though

No, there is definitely an issue here. Key off it goes to 0, that would certainly be normal. If it has been sitting a while(days) if you turn the key on usually still at 0, although I cannot say there have not been times when it responds in a normal fashion and moves somewhere, just not regularly. Start truck and the gauge will probably stay at 0 or occasionally move into the 13-14V range which I consider normal. If it has remained at 0 it will stay there until you have driven some distance, maybe a mile maybe 10 miles at which point it comes alive and again moves to what I think is its normal range. After this it will gradually move on up to the 15-16V range and usually stay there for the remainder of the day if you continue to drive it, even during multiple start-stop cycles. I guess what I need to do is get an independent voltmeter and compare the system voltage at the alternator vs what the gauge reads.
Thanks though
Ok that is a strange one. Doesn't sound like a bad connection, because you would think that would not work then work. Maybe start a thread on this problem and what you find. It would be nice to know what the problem is.

11,621 - 11,640 of 14,825 Posts