Chevy SSR Forum banner
12061 - 12080 of 12101 Posts

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
Premium Member 2004 Smokin' Asphalt
51,754 Posts
It was a beautiful day here so we went for nice top down ride on some western Pennsylvania back roads. It got a little hot and we did not want to put the top up so turned on the air and that worked out just fine, I'm sure we burnt up a little extra gas doing that but who's keeping track at $6.25 a gallon for non-ethanol. On the way home we stopped at our favorite restaurant and had a nice dinner.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,229 Posts
Spent the day trouble shooting the waterfall fuse box in Del. Just started showing things without power. Trying to get ready to head out to Penticton, hopefully with everything working. BlueStreak has been there 3 times and Del needs more states and another country to try and catch up.

·
SSR Believer
3,491 Posts
Replaced the battery today. Even though it was still going strong after more than seven years (see the sticker in the photo plus I have the receipt from the original owner o_O), I decided it was time for a new one. We’ll be headed up to the Peach City Beach Cruise next week so I didn’t want to risk it.

Since they continue to be one of the highest rated I installed a group 78 Interstate battery from Costco ($99). Fit perfectly.

Also replaced the battery ground cable while I was at it. Connections on the body and frame were nice and clean. I put some liquid electrical tape on them for good measure.

Since I was going to do more than just replace the battery and based on some good advice here I used this 9v “battery backup” for minimum power while the battery was disconnected to ensure various system memory settings weren’t lost. May not have needed it, but JIC.

Also, based on some expert advice (cough, thanks Mike! (y)) I removed two fuses, #28 for the RDM and #40 for the TBC to prevent any damage; both located in the interior fuse console behind the passenger seat.

Everything went fine, window indexing and as far as I can tell all else continues to work as expected.

R&R on the battery wasn’t too bad. It is a bit awkward but having it on the QuickJack made it relatively painless. So many different sized nuts and bolts. Sheesh!

I’ll continue to keep it on the Deltran battery tender and who knows, maybe this one will last another 7 years!

EDIT: Just returned from the Peach City Beach Cruise and everything performed as expected, so it looks like no memory was lost and all of the electrical system is still working fine. (y)
Black Font Gas Auto part Electric blue
Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number
Camera accessory Material property Font Tints and shades Electric blue
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper
Hood Automotive lighting Trunk Automotive exterior Bumper
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
Premium Member
06 Redline Red FPR & 06 S/C Pac Blue
1,071 Posts
I see it also takes the Magic Creeper for the install 😁... I've had good luck with the ACDelco batteries. First one lasted 7+ years so when I replaced it (like you thought I was living on borrowed time) went back with the same thing, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,575 Posts
Helped a rogue Pac Blue chrome get his top working again. Worked in the driveway as his truck was already hot. Listened to the top, heard the pops of the both tonneau latches, and then TLAT fault. Reached in and confirmed they were fully unlatched. No problem, pulled the driver side first, and found and fixed the culprit. Then made sure all good with the top operations. Then pulled and cleaned the passenger side for good measure. Gave all the struts and seals a quick shot of LPS-1. He was happy and the top worked like a champ.

He’d already been using LPS-3 on the hinge points….

Side note: The 10mm bolts were burning my hands as I picked them up off the mat.:oops: 95F, real feel 105F.
Tire Plant Wheel Car Land vehicle

It’s good to be back in the A/C, and now to start some upgrades and maintenance on my R.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
9,214 Posts
Helped a rogue Pac Blue chrome get his top working again. Worked in the driveway as his truck was already hot. Listened to the top, heard the pops of the both tonneau latches, and then TLAT fault. Reached in and confirmed they were fully unlatched. No problem, pulled the driver side first, and found and fixed the culprit. Then made sure all good with the top operations. Then pulled and cleaned the passenger side for good measure. Gave all the struts and seals a quick shot of LPS-1. He was happy and the top worked like a champ.

He’d already been using LPS-3 on the hinge points….

Side note: The 10mm bolts were burning my hands as I picked them up off the mat.:oops: 95F, real feel 105F.
View attachment 615156

It’s good to be back in the A/C, and now to start some upgrades and maintenance on my R.
=====================
@TXNSSR Robert, you are a gentleman and a scholar!!

Now you can relax ((with an adult beverage!!)) out of the sun and in the A/C. - (y)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Sorry only hinted at it. The driver side tonneau micro switch was stuck. The top had not been run in quite a while. My very first comment upon lifting the tonneau cover was, someone has been in here, as the pump cover was torn and rotated. Apparently a son had tried to lubricate it. I cleaned out the cobwebs, some leaves and cleaned all the shafts and seals. I the told him about cleaning out the drains, etc. I then sent him a link to get the new roof struts

He is the original owner. He’s only seen one or two other SSRs around. I said, heck there are 6 PAC Blues in our group down here…

PS. He really liked my gray R. To which I said thanks and chuckled and told him most don’t, but I love it.

·
SSR Believer
3,491 Posts
@TXNSSR what is Lps-1 and or Lps-3?
I'm convinced that Robert (@TXNSSR) has a stake in most if not all of the automotive aftermarket products world-wide. Probably half of the cans, bottles, and assorted what-not I have in our garage is his fault. To quote Robert... "This is the best product for [insert SSR maintenance requirement here]".

Already had LPS-1 and LPS-2. Now I have to go and get LPS-3. o_O Thanks Robert. Thanks a lot.

FWIW, he has yet to be wrong so far. Just sayin'. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Yellow Drink Automotive tire Automotive design Display case
Liquid Bottle cap Fluid Drink Cosmetics

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Full Disclosure: I do not own stock in the company (yet).;)

LPS-1 is a great cleaner/lubricant for the pneumatic struts.
LPS-2 is great for most everything else.
LPS-3 is for areas prone to rust and intentionally leaves a waxy residue.

I would not use LPS-3 on my roof mechanism hinge points. I use it on the hood latch and the hood hinge joints to keep any corrosion away from the chrome hinges.

The LPS lubricants have a very distinctive smell. As soon as I stuck my head into the roof compartment yesterday, I knew it was sprayed somewhere and a pleasant flood of memories of my dad and papa swirled into my head. Hoppe’s #9 triggers similar memories.

Happy Father’s Day everyone.

·
Premium Member
9,258 Posts
I'm convinced that Robert (@TXNSSR) has a stake in most if not all of the automotive aftermarket products world-wide. Probably half of the cans, bottles, and assorted what-not I have in our garage is his fault. To quote Robert... "This is the best product for [insert SSR maintenance requirement here]".

Already had LPS-1 and LPS-2. Now I have to go and get LPS-3. o_O Thanks Robert. Thanks a lot.

FWIW, he has yet to be wrong so far. Just sayin'. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 615215 View attachment 615216
I used his advice (which is right-on) several times. I ordered and used the LPS products myself. Works great. Thanks Robert. Of course with a name like Robert you can't go wrong.☺☺☺☺

·
SSR Believer
3,491 Posts
I used his advice (which is right-on) several times. I ordered and used the LPS products myself. Works great. Thanks Robert. Of course with a name like Robert you can't go wrong.☺☺☺☺
Giving credit where credit is due, with a few exceptions, the rest of the goldmine of maintenance products that I have is thanks to the advice of two other SSRFanatic guru-wizards, @Mike in AZ and @Dicktator. (y) (y)

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
51,754 Posts
Took the SSR in for her annual Pennsylvania state inspection. She passed with no problems and the inspector told me it has the cleanest chassis of any vehicle he has ever inspected, that made my day! :)

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 16yrs. Start 9K, now 159K miles
14,377 Posts

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 16yrs. Start 9K, now 159K miles
14,377 Posts
Took the SSR in for her annual Pennsylvania state inspection. She passed with no problems and the inspector told me it has the cleanest chassis of any vehicle he has ever inspected, that made my day! :)
Question? What is State Inspection? Florida doesn't have that, whatever it is.

Dicktator

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
51,754 Posts
Question? What is State Inspection? Florida doesn't have that, whatever it is.

Dicktator
They check tires, brakes, lights, all the suspension parts, exhaust, glass, license and insurance, look for body and frame rust, etc. basically a good safety inspection.

12061 - 12080 of 12101 Posts