Chevy SSR Forum banner
12841 - 12860 of 12886 Posts

· Premium Member
154 Posts
Nice looking Spitfire. Stock or modified? I like the exhaust. Last Triumph I had was a TR250. Does all your Lucas stuff work? Great looking SSR too. Same color as mine.(y)
The Spitfire is mostly stock, Lucas wiring too, 12V, with a generator and regulator. Has points and condenser, easily changed. Prince of darkness kept at bay by keeping grounds clean. Just like our SSRs. Switched from twin SU carbs to downdraft Weber & manifold, added the stainless dual (fake) exhaust at that time. Re-painted original color, Signal Red.

· Premium Member
154 Posts
Boxes unpacked, lift assembled. Test runs to part then full height, all ok.
To (sort of) justify time and expense I took the opportunity to install Dick's permanent shift cable bolt kit. And yes, I used supplemental jack stands. All ok.
Lowered truck and lift completely, checked air pressure, one cylinder normal, the other almost empty. No bubbles on fittings leak test. Troubleshoot tomorrow.

· SSR Believer
4,214 Posts
Boxes unpacked, lift assembled. Test runs to part then full height, all ok.
To (sort of) justify time and expense I took the opportunity to install Dick's permanent shift cable bolt kit. And yes, I used supplemental jack stands. All ok.
Lowered truck and lift completely, checked air pressure, one cylinder normal, the other almost empty. No bubbles on fittings leak test. Troubleshoot tomorrow.
Had the same experience with the QJ air pressure loss. One held air no problem, the other would lose it within a few days. I tightened the valve stem cores, no change. I replaced the cores, no change. So I called QJ and the CSR said that the air cylinders are designed to help them come back down to the floor with little or no weight on them. She said to go ahead and empty both cylinders. (She also said that the next gen will no longer have the cylinders). I pulled the valve stem cores our of the Schrader valves of both cylinders and the QJ continues to work fine.. They're a tad slower at the end when there's no more weight on them but since the R sits so low to the ground already, that's not a big problem. I guess if you're impatient you could air them up before using them each time. ;)

BTW, handy tip I should have mentioned before... after the QJ is back on the ground, continue to hold the down button for a while longer. Put your ear to the fill plug on the pump and listen for any air that continues to escape and when it's silent, continue to hold the button just a little longer. This will ensure that all of the hydraulic pressure is released from the lines. Although they will disconnect easily, if there is even a little pressure left in the lines they will be a bear to reconnect the next time around.

Enjoy!

· Premium Member
154 Posts
Spent a couple more days in the garage, finally got the front shocks installed. Rears were easy, fronts not so easy! Had a couple hours invested in getting the front nut tightened on driver side top. I used new Monroe Strut-Mates and although the bolts were the same length as the factory ones, they were painted/coated so re-installing they had to be wrenched all the way down, about 1/4 turn at a time. Whew! Anyway, on now and all good. Wasn't going to change fronts until they actually "needed" to be changed, bounce tests and ride quality didn't indicate they needed changing. Once off I could see where the driver side had leaked badly, and the bump-stop was about 2/3 gone! The other 1/3 began to crumble as I examined it. The rubber from the shock mounts was beginning to fail on both sides as well, although wors on driver side.

Took a 20-minute test drive just before dark, up to about 75 mph (Friday rush traffic) and those Simple Engineering Touring Shocks do ride nice!

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Lighting Line Nozzle
Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Car

· Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,871 Posts
Just finished my little project--made up an Emergency Jumper ( under hood fuse box) for my 2006. Hope I don't need to use it---BUT if I do I have it!!! Plus Im caring an extra one incase someone else is stuck someplace.
Steve
You know someone that fixes the fuse boxes…. (me). I could talk you through removal and you could throw it in the box too. Then you’d have 2 for the those in need.

Side note: I carry the temporary fix in my saddle bags, and the instructions for where they go, in case I haven’t fixed one of those traveling with me.

· Premium Member
2006 Pac Blue 6-Speed
1,576 Posts
I had my 2006 fuse box expertly repaired by @Dicktator during last year's winter hibernation. The fuse box is simple to remove and ship via USPS Flat Rate Priority, Dictator repaired it and shipped it back the day he received it, and I reinstalled it the day it returned to PA.

With my luck, if it was going to fail it would do so in the passing lane of an expressway after midnight in a thunderstorm. For me, the peace of mind on long trips during the Summer was worth the little bit of time and minor expense for the repair.

· Super Moderator
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
6,143 Posts
I don't know whether Jeff ever had the fuse box fix done on Thunder or not. I probably ought to be a little proactive and get that done!
@TXNSSR maybe I should include that with the package I'm sending you next week! 😉

12841 - 12860 of 12886 Posts