Chevy SSR Forum banner
12861 - 12880 of 12886 Posts

· SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 19yrs. Start 9K, now 166K miles
14,958 Posts
No! Don't fix the 05/06 Fuse Box. You want to wait until you're on a trip, or its raining and fuse box wire decides to separate.

Fuse box was not recall, or service bulletin. GM would not even look at it. GM did not make fuse box.

We found it in 2007 in Florida, R would stop, cool down and run again for 45 minutes. At that time, we would go to Dealer, they installed NEW Fuse Box and off we go. BUT that Fuse Box could be bad also.

Dwight aka Blue Streak said his Fuse Box wire separated on California Freeway at 75 mph in passing lane, he said he luckily got over without an accident.

Book lost his Fuse Box in NJ. SSRFather and Art Bonadies took out Pete's fuse box, drove to NJ and brought Book's R back to Florida. Dealer did not have one, couldn't get one, so Florida Chapter SSR Fanatics went to get Book.

Art Bonadies and Marty decided to find out "WHY" Fuse Box was failing. Yes, Florida Chapter found out "why" and came up with the present "repair". Thanks Art and Marty!!

Fuse Box wire was "broken" during manufacturing. Art and Marty discovered that when Fuse Box got to engine running temperature under hood, plastic Fuse Box would expand and "pull" the broken wire apart. Fuel Pump, Ignition quits!

Jumper repair is temporary fix. Buy New Fuse Box, if you can find one, expensive and may have "same" problem.

I don't know how many I have repaired but "lots". I am not worried about my R with 166,000 miles, it's a 04.

It's up to you, I know "It won't happen to me". You could be right, want to gamble?

Dicktator

Attachments

· Premium Member
7,028 Posts
As for the previous 4 post, there is the issue of, mailing, shipping it. After the thread a few weeks ago about the crazy experience members have had, no way I'm shipping anything that important !! o_O Hand / personal delivery for me.:p. or pony express or SSR Fanatic relay team:cool:. In 2017 or 18, we drove to Colorado to buy running boards🤣 Made a week vacation out of it.

Nick

· One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,749 Posts
Reactions: TXNSSR and nj6969

· Premium Member
6,139 Posts
My snow covered driveway has melted off and is dry, but the streets have not. So, I backed the R out of the locked garage, but not out into the street for sure.

Since I didn't have anything better to do, I then got my attorney to come over to look through my tool chests and inventory my tools . I thought maybe my kid may have used some of the metric tools, but I wasn't too worried because he only uses Chinese made tools because he gets them really cheap.

The attorney found some of my former employer's wrenches from my last job. I know I shouldn't have taken them, but I thought I might need them to fix something later. So, my attorney gave them back to my former employer. I hope they don't tell my new boss. I do take it very serious and always had my garage locked except when the door was open and my kids had friends over. I really don't think any of his friend went through my tool box.

· Premium Member
May 2017 ROTM 2005 Redline Red .
8,686 Posts
So started out to give the little red truck a bath, hard starting as it had sat during the rain for 2 1/2 weeks,
No gauges, locks or windows, drove around the block, still the same , return home pulled in the driveway , and now no start.
Been on the charger a few hours, now starts and stops in 10-15 seconds.

· Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,871 Posts
I don't know whether Jeff ever had the fuse box fix done on Thunder or not. I probably ought to be a little proactive and get that done!
@TXNSSR maybe I should include that with the package I'm sending you next week! 😉
You can certainly put it in the box and I can talk you through the removal. There is one “tell” if someone was in the fuse box previously, the jack screws pull out easily. That said, even if they do pull out easily I would send it so I can check the work. I say this as our blue had a “repair“ attempted by someone that used the wrong gauge wire and glued the wire down and it failed (at the wrong time).

· GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
2,374 Posts
Well after the OBDll check on my "R" in Maggie last year with Autoporf and the battery going dead at the Clarion just before the banquet.
Top Jimmy changed the Ignition switch, to no effect, thankx Jimmy. We jumped it off latter that night, fired right up. I took it to the Valley Inn, put it on a trickle charger over night and drove it home the next day. Since then I've kept it on a trickle charger and had NO problem with it for many rides, until 8 months later.
I took it for a ride for about 1.5 hours, got to my destination, shut it off and 1/2 hour later had to call AAA to get it going again.
Drove home, parked it in the garage, back on the trickle charger again for a few days.
Went out to start it and NOTHING!! Hey, 7 years isn't bad for a Costco battery. OK so I want to Costco and got a new one. $98, not bad it was $79 last time.
What a PAIN IN THE ASS to change it laying on the floor after having the battery box moved to install the spare tire. Now it's side ways not facing the back.
I bought a floor jack 2 years ago at Harbor Freight, good thing, I got to use it yesterday.

Thankx to BluMnM for installing the battery box. I only had to remove the fender stabilizer bar, so it could have been worse!!

· Premium Member
7,028 Posts
Drove home, parked it in the garage, back on the trickle charger again for a few days.
Went out to start it and NOTHING!! Hey, 7 years isn't bad for a Costco battery. OK so I want to Costco and got a new one. $98, not bad it was $79 last time.
In the old days, I would jump an old battery once, then clean the cables. If it went dead again, I'd get a NEW battery. No 2nd. chance. One failure is all they got :p In my old age, if they don"t go dead, after 4 or 5 years I change them.

Nick

· SSR Believer
4,214 Posts
Getting ready to send my under hood fuse box off to have the well-know '05/'06 corroded trace issue fixed. It's never been a problem, however since it's sitting in the garage for most of the winter except for the weekly startup, convertible top and a run around the block weather permitting exercises, I thought it'd be a good time for some preventative maintenance. Happy to see that the innards look pretty clean with little to no water intrusion. Phew!

Dropped one of the 60 amp fuses and it didn't land on the floor... so I'll get some exercise looking for that myself! ;)

Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle Audio equipment Automotive design
Product Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Auto part
Brown Wood Rectangle Font Pattern

· Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,871 Posts
Getting ready to send my under hood fuse box off to have the well-know '05/'06 corroded trace issue fixed. It's never been a problem, however since it's sitting in the garage for most of the winter except for the weekly startup, convertible top and a run around the block weather permitting exercises, I thought it'd be a good time for some preventative maintenance. Happy to see that the innards look pretty clean with little to no water intrusion. Phew!

Dropped one of the 60 amp fuses and it didn't land on the floor... so I'll get some exercise looking for that myself! ;)
If it was one of the 40amps and it went off the back, I’d say it could be tucked in the brake hard lines. But since it was a 60 and likely off the front, it say around the ECM or shelf underneath.

That said, I’m wondering why you’d remove them at all, much less in the engine bay?
If you ship to me I check them all and reorient them so the all are facing the same direction:oops:

· SSR Believer
4,214 Posts
If it was one of the 40amps and it went off the back, I’d say it could be tucked in the brake hard lines. But since it was a 60 and likely off the front, it say around the ECM or shelf underneath.

That said, I’m wondering why you’d remove them at all, much less in the engine bay?
If you ship to me I check them all and reorient them so the all are facing the same direction:oops:
Ha! I was just toying around with the fuses before I pulled it. That’ll teach me. :LOL: I’ll crawl under there and do a little brail search… or just buy a new one.

Not as OCD about the placements as some folks I know. ;)

Our good friend’s on it, but thanks for the offer! (y)

· Premium Member
10,034 Posts
Ha! I was just toying around with the fuses before I pulled it. That’ll teach me. :LOL: I’ll crawl under there and do a little brail search… or just buy a new one.

Not as OCD about the placements as some folks I know. ;)

Our good friend’s on it, but thanks for the offer! (y)
Okay, is this an inside joke or is someone serious about the fuses facing in the right direction. 🤔🤔

12861 - 12880 of 12886 Posts