Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice this weekend, some thirty something individuals looked at my SSR and these two guys said to me, "man, that is the ugliest Muther#$#@%% truck I have ever seen!". Today at the beach, a thirty something woman walking here child looked at me and said, "Wow! That sure is ugly!"

I was taught as a child that if you had nothing nice to say to keep your mouth shut! I didn't respond to any of these comments but sure wish I had thought of something at the time. The comments obviously come from automotive ignorance about styles and trends in the industry on their part, but what are they teaching their children? That little girl will grow up thinking it is perfectly ok to throw insults at people they don't even know.

How do you guys respond when someone says that about your SSR? :flag

·
Registered
705 Posts
I would say:
I'm too polite to return the favor about your child...

Who cares. I have enough people telling me this car is gorgeous, a few bad ones may be good to keep me grounded. Little by little, as my wife puts it, I am starting to believe the compliments are about me. She reminds me that they are talking about the car and I'm still the same ugly SOB I was. :lol

·
Administrator
8,206 Posts
Ugly????

I had a friend of mine say to me his wife had seen this old looking silver truck at the dealership. He went on to say she couldn't understand why anyone would want one of those old looking and ugly things?

I couldn't help myself... I busted out laughing, and then told my friend "Hey Danny, so .... what do YOU think of my new truck then? :) His eyes popped wide open and said "OH MY GOD... was that your truck???" He then responded by saying "if it were something new at Chevy, I would be the one to have it!" ;)

He then started to apologize for his wife's comments and I stopped him and said "Don’t worry Danny, not everyone enjoys big curvy round fenders and nice looking headlights."

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I agree with Ed, I was taught to be polite and to keep negative comments to myself. I don't really care what other people say or think about me or my choice of vehicles. I think my response would have been, that we all have our difference of opinions on art. So far no one has said that it was ugly to my face :)

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
I was getting gas yesterday and happened to notice this little old lady (had to be in her 70's) staring at my truck, she was driving a big Lincoln. Finally she walked over and told me how she used to have a pair of shoes that exact color and how much she just loved those shoes. I asked her what she thought of the truck, she thought for a moment and obviously not wanting to offend me she said you know a lot of my friends didn't care for those yellow shoes of mine, but everytime I wore them I felt good about myself. I told her I know the feeling I feel pretty good when Im driving my truck too! It didn't bother me that she probably didn't care for my truck I probably would'nt have liked her shoes! (Even though they were a great color)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Really haven't had a negative comment yet, but if one comes along it won't bother me. I've had compliments from Dodge, Ford, & Toyota truck drivers, old people and young people, and all races. Some teenage boys while walking in front of me asked, "how much"? When I responded with, "fifty", he hesitated and then said, "thousand"? I kind of liked his shock.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Old Guy??

One day, I was buying a Lotto ticket, I heard a 8 year old tell his Family coming out of a cafe "Great , the Old Guy has'nt left yet, we can see his truck!!! :lol

RickSSR :cool

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Old Guy

That's a good one Rick. Maybe someday when I'm as old as you I will get to hear comments like that.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I've had a few derogatory remarks hurled in my direction concerning the SSR. One was from a kid in a beat up mid-eighties Mustang - that was easy to shrug off. There have been a few other remarks that I simply chalk up to "to each their own." I had one older teen cross the line in his remark, although it seemed more linked to his negative view of his world than the SSR. I shrugged that one off as well, as he looked like he just got his butt kicked the night before (seriously), and he didn't need another beating. Maybe he'll learn, maybe not.

Overall, the negative comments I've received have been respectful, and I appreciate a person's opinion on the car regardless of whether it's positive or negative. As a father, I know young children tend to speak "unfiltered" and if a little girl thinks the truck is ugly, she'll tell you so. I'd point out she's not old enough to understand the appeal. ;)

M

·
0 Posts
cruzned said:
Twice this weekend, some thirty something individuals looked at my SSR and these two guys said to me, "man, that is the ugliest Muther#$#@%% truck I have ever seen!". Today at the beach, a thirty something woman walking here child looked at me and said, "Wow! That sure is ugly!"

I was taught as a child that if you had nothing nice to say to keep your mouth shut! I didn't respond to any of these comments but sure wish I had thought of something at the time. The comments obviously come from automotive ignorance about styles and trends in the industry on their part, but what are they teaching their children? That little girl will grow up thinking it is perfectly ok to throw insults at people they don't even know.

How do you guys respond when someone says that about your SSR? :flag
I am rarely "Politically Correct" and as such my personal comments here would be inappropriate. Having said that, I do believe we are all better served by smiling and saying "Thank You"!

The car speaks for it's self, it's like art, some get it and others do not.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Negative Comments

It bugs me when somebody goes to all the effort to roll down their window, catch my eye, distract me from watching traffic and looking out for all the morons in their So Cal rice burners, only to ask me, "How much?" What does it matter how much? If they knew anything at all about cars, they would know how much. I politely give them an ambiguous answer that doesn't answer, smile, and go on my way.

Now that I live in Flagstaff, I still get the looks and the questions, but from more intelligent people who are truly interested in the vehicle's technical aspects, or from tourists who are lots of fun, too. (I have got to get rid of this California plate. . . . . ) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
31 Posts
nonverbal communication

A few days ago, I'm cruisin' the boulevard. There's a couple jogging toward me on the sidewalk. The guy is about three paces ahead of his lady. He sees my red SSR, frowns and shakes his head from side to side, giving me a very visible "thumbs down" gesture with his left hand...

Meanwhile, he would have been mortified if he had turned around, because his good-looking ladyfriend was running along, right behind him, giving me a huge "thumbs up", complete with a great smile and a vigorous nodding of her head!!! I guess I'll go with her opinion over his...

By the way, I think female spectators enjoy looking at this vehicle MORE than males do - and that's just fine with me!!!

Cheers,
Randy :flag

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Texan Fan

redroadster said:
A few days ago, I'm cruisin' the boulevard. There's a couple jogging toward me on the sidewalk. The guy is about three paces ahead of his lady. He sees my red SSR, frowns and shakes his head from side to side, giving me a very visible "thumbs down" gesture with his left hand...

Meanwhile, he would have been mortified if he had turned around, because his good-looking ladyfriend was running along, right behind him, giving me a huge "thumbs up", complete with a great smile and a vigorous nodding of her head!!! I guess I'll go with her opinion over his...

By the way, I think female spectators enjoy looking at this vehicle MORE than males do - and that's just fine with me!!!

Cheers,
Randy :flag
And thanks for David Carr!!! Met him the other day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts