Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
What does it take for a stock SSR to win a :trophy: at a local car show?

:black: :smile2:
:|

Interesting question. No great answers either. Many car shows are put on by local car/streetrod clubs. So, right off the bat, politics (like it or not).......as does occur in most endeavors .........politics enters the equation.

Club owners cars may be included in the show. Guess who most of the "judges" will be and if you said (club members), move to the head of the class. Beyond their own members, those guys have friends with cars that just maybe aren't in the club but are well known.

It might be a car belonging to a local Paint shop or Body shop owner.......where many club members go for getting work done. That guy will have a better shot at a trophy than will a stranger with an equally impressive car/truck.

Get the picture.

Beyond that, the SSR doesn't really fit into a specific "class" as defined by the entry form for many car show events.

Add that you said "stock" SSR, and that would make getting selected even tougher.

My 2 cents.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,075 Posts
The two car shows I have gone to this year were put on by two different local corvette clubs and a percentage of all trophies go to corvettes. However the judging beyond that is scored based on appearance/cleanliness first -- then type of car.
I took home a top 50 twice this year so far -- Mine is not stock but I spent a day at a car show with a good friend on a real hot fathers day and his car is a stock very, very clean 70k mile white '03 Cadillac SLS. He is proud of his caddy and has wanted one his whole life (he just turned 70) I helped him find this clean one 6 years ago and it has brought him pleasure like my SSR brings me! I would have given up my trophy so he could get one - but I didn't have too! he won on his own :cheer: :sunce:

Of course I live in Ohio where SSRs and Older low mileage Cadillacs are not common like they are in other states. :whistling:

And before @Firetruck can speak out :pokey: -- there were more people that went home WITHOUT a trophy then went home with one!

So first off in my experience clean it and then detail it! and when you think your done - do it again!

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,647 Posts
My opinion is ask who votes?! If the PUBLIC votes = FAIR chance. If PARTICIPANTS ONLY vote = SLIM chance. Problem is most shows around here are Participants Only vote!! Sooo, if you just want to contribute $$ to the Charity of the show, enjoy talking to folks, watching the kids get interested and junk food trucks---GO FOR IT!!!

Nick

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR Aqua Blur
1,582 Posts
We live in the Dallas/Fort Worth MetroPlex TX and went to a car show and WON best in class. It’s a 2005 all stock. Aqua Blur. Christian Classic Cruisers. Looked at some cars. Went and had dinner came back and won. Happy Fathers Day gift. ????

·
Premium Member
7,343 Posts
Practically all local Car Show's are simply fund raisers and do go for a good cause. My complaint is they charge you to show your vehicle but let all the spectators in free. If it's a find raiser merely charge each person that wants to look just a Dollar (maximum 5 Bucks per family) !!! I'm almost sure the Annual Ford F-150 show in Pigeon Forge every May charges for spectators.

Today is "Hump Day" and now that we're 3 Fifths thru the week, everybody have a good weekend.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,686 Posts
The two car shows I have gone to this year were put on by two different local corvette clubs and a percentage of all trophies go to corvettes. However the judging beyond that is scored based on appearance/cleanliness first -- then type of car.
I took home a top 50 twice this year so far -- Mine is not stock but I spent a day at a car show with a good friend on a real hot fathers day and his car is a stock very, very clean 70k mile white '03 Cadillac SLS. He is proud of his caddy and has wanted one his whole life (he just turned 70) I helped him find this clean one 6 years ago and it has brought him pleasure like my SSR brings me! I would have given up my trophy so he could get one - but I didn't have too! he won on his own

Of course I live in Ohio where SSRs and Older low mileage Cadillacs are not common like they are in other states.

And before @Firetruck can speak out
-- there were more people that went home WITHOUT a trophy then went home with one!

So first off in my experience clean it and then detail it! and when you think your done - do it again!

Dang! Beat me to it......

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,573 Posts
Not sure what it proves but one trophy I won at a "Public" show was Best Special Interest. Shocked the heck out of me when they called my number because there were 7 SSRs there and mine was a daily driver and higher mileage than most and there were several older restorations in the category. Still not sure why I won but will never turn down a trophy. The public got to vote in that one, as well as the entrants. I know for sure I did not vote for any of the SSRs in Special Interest because the Antiques Restorations were so good.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,413 Posts
What does it take for a stock SSR to win a :trophy: at a local car show?

:black: :smile2:
Around here all the car shows are put on by several major custom car clubs and the policy is in order to participate officially your car has to be a 1985 or older model. They are all very polite and let me park in the show, hood up, lawn chair etc. Get a chance to visit with all the motor/gear heads but I am not actually in the show. Still a fun day and you get to answer all kinds of questions and just have a good old time.

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
Not sure what it proves but one trophy I won at a "Public" show was Best Special Interest. Shocked the heck out of me when they called my number because there were 7 SSRs there and mine was a daily driver and higher mileage than most and there were several older restorations in the category. Still not sure why I won but will never turn down a trophy. The public got to vote in that one, as well as the entrants. I know for sure I did not vote for any of the SSRs in Special Interest because the Antiques Restorations were so good.
Maybe they were impressed with the .44 Mag in your belt. :glol

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,573 Posts

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Bought NOT Built

I asked this question after entering many shows after purchasing my 04 R in 2011. The response I most often received was these shows are sponsored by local car clubs whose members are mostly older "Street Rod Custom Builders". Corvette clubs hold their own events for this reason, and judge their cars separately from the other entries. I did win a "Best of Show" for my "Custom" interior at one event. :grin2:

Best wishes and "Long may you run"

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Entering a 'judged' carshow with a stock 2000+ truck is your best bet. This should level the playing field somewhat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts