Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in seeing what the Guage Package option looks like. This forum is the first place I have heard of this, and am curious. I did not see such an option in the SSR brochure, I assume it was a later addition? Does anyone yet have this option in their SSRs? Thanks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
guage

03 brosure show it 3 guages at front of console

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so I am picturing the cluster down at the leading edge of the center console, as in front of the shifter? (I have not ever seen an '03 brochure.) What gauges are added? Voltage? __? __?

I suppose adding to a vehicle not already equipped would be quite a task? ..due to the required sensors....?

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Gauge Package

The Gauge Package is offered as an over-the counter accessory at your dealership. It will be available in Satin Chrome as well as Body Colored. I don't know what gauges will be in the package as yet. Have not seen the location that it will be installed at.

It is listed as having interim availability now. Probably will be very limited.

Will post when I find out any more details.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Here's the artwork that was in the 2003 dealer display pack. If I understand correctly, one of the problems that kept this option off of the '03 run was interference with the ash tray compartment.

Keep in mind this is conceptual art, and GM may have changed the design significantly since the option was announced last year. The gauges were supposed to be a voltmeter, trans temp and instant fuel consumption gauge (of course, this last one is in the DIC as well.)

Personally, I'd rather have a voltmeter, Boost/Vac gauge (for the supercharger, of course) and outside air temp.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
i don't see how you can open the lighter/power source but i guess you could use the other power sources if you get the gauges but I keep wondering why anyone cares about instant fuel consumption and temp when we can pull that stuff up now.....

·
Registered
468 Posts
Here's an enlargement of the photo in the 2003 brochure. The gauge closest to the driver is the trans temp, the center gauge is the fuel consumption gauge (in gallons per hour), and the far right gauge is the voltmeter.

I don't think I'd like the GPH gauge. I don't need something telling me to keep my foot off the accelerator - that's what my wife does.:lol

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
jwthomp,

Maybe I could get your wife to ride with me. She might keep me from being told the same thing from law enforcement (stopped twice already).

Slingshot

·
Registered
468 Posts
outside air temp/compass option possibility

Gentex is the OEM supplier for the rear view mirror on the SSR. They have a version of the homelink rear view mirror that features a compass and temp display similar to GM's offerings in their other trucks. here's a link to the Mito corp website (Gentex's distributor) showing the mirror:

http://www.mitocorp.com/homelink_mirrors.htm

I've installed a comp/temp/autodim/maplight mirror in my '96 S-10 - they're pretty easy, and I'm considering swapping the SSR's mirror out for a fully loaded one. I haven't yet, since I have some unanswered questions:
Is the connector the same for the OEM mirror as the one with compass and temp?
Is there the "dim yellow" LED present in the replacement mirror?
since the center mirror controls the autodim for the side mirror as well, would this still work?

I could live without the dim yellow LED that illuminates the console at night, however I admit, it's begun to appeal to me. The console switches are lit, anyway, so the only thing that would be darkened would be the shifter, and it's not like I don't know where it is. I do like having the driver side mirror autodim at night, though.

Ultimately I haven't made enough payments to have the courage to start disassembling my SSR yet. Maybe I'll feel differently after I put the supercharger on. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
jwthomp

Thanks for the link and great questions about fitment. I will call when I find the time to check out the possiblity of swapping mirrors.

Slingshot

·
Registered
407 Posts
i am shocked that such a great car doesn't have a compass and temperature reading. if you guys find out that this mirror works (and it sure looks like the same exact mirror we have now) let me know.

thanks,

rick

·
Registered
349 Posts
Jwthomp - Great infor about the Homelink mirror upgrade. But more importantly, whose supercharger are you going to use and why?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Supercharger

I got an e-mail from Judd Reimers at Magnuson and he stated they should have their unit available for the SSR in about 6 weeks

·
Registered
413 Posts
guages

I checked with my dealer and guage package comes as a dealer installed kit with a wholesale price of over 600.00 I guess i will do without

·
Registered
468 Posts
Which supercharger?

Which supercharger will I use? Don't know yet - I'm kinda hoping Whipple will come out with a SSR kit for their screw type supercharger they currently have for the 5.3. I won't use a centrifugal for the SSR - screw type is the one I want.

Why? well, you can't have a boost gauge without a supercharger, you know. :D

Some folks lower their SSR, others paint it. Me? I supercharge things. Maybe not right away, but hopefully within the next 12-24 months or so. The SSR has caused me to make a much larger investment - a new home with a 3 car garage. With my Z28 ragtop and the SSR, momma got sent to the driveway, and momma wasn't happy. The irony is a 3 car was a compromise. I'm still trying to figure out where I can stash a 59 Chevy 2 door Biscayne which is the next project after I toss an LS1/T56 in my 96 S-10 extended cab stepside. I'm hoping this solution will work:

www.revolutionlifts.com

(the new garage has an 12 foot ceiling, but a problematic beam is in the way at 9 feet. We shall see.)

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
Gauge Package

I have a 03 with the factory installed gauge package mounted on the floor in front of the shifter! It looks good is about all I can say. Yes it does interfer with the ash tray opening. That does not bother me since I do not smoke anymore!::D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Scott
How did you get the guages did it come as a factory order or did you buy it over the gm counter. I am very interested in getting the guages for my ssr Thanks Mike

·
Registered
78 Posts
Scott,
You are lucky mine was ordered with gauges but then was told that if I wanted the gauges I would have to wait for a 2004 I settled for a 2003 model and would like to get the guages, hopefully i can get them over gm counter.
Thanks Mike

1 - 20 of 27 Posts