Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I'm going to start removing both door panels to remove speaker grills and install some chrome speaker grills. Either or both doors may be open for the next day or so. My question is which fuse and in which box is the FUSE FOR THE INTERIOR LIGHTS?
Jack aka tnhillbilly

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Today I'm going to start removing both door panels to remove speaker grills and install some chrome speaker grills. Either or both doors may be open for the next day or so. My question is which fuse and in which box is the FUSE FOR THE INTERIOR LIGHTS?
Jack aka tnhillbilly
Not a simple as one might suspect -- the courtesy lights are controlled by the body control module (BCM) - which will turn off the courtesy lights if left on for approx 20 minutes. I am not sure which circuit the BCM uses to turn on and off the lights. The BCM receives power from 3 fuses. You might pull them one at a time and see which ones turn off the lights (might open and close a door again to be sure you didn't reach the 20 minute mark) The fuses in question are in the rear fuse box -- TBC 2 / Fuse #7, TBC 3 / Fuse #4 and TBC 4 / fuse #40.

I hope this helps

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Not a simple as one might suspect -- the courtesy lights are controlled by the body control module (BCM) - which will turn off the courtesy lights if left on for approx 20 minutes. I am not sure which circuit the BCM uses to turn on and off the lights. The BCM receives power from 3 fuses. You might pull them one at a time and see which ones turn off the lights (might open and close a door again to be sure you didn't reach the 20 minute mark) The fuses in question are in the rear fuse box -- TBC 2 / Fuse #7, TBC 3 / Fuse #4 and TBC 4 / fuse #40.

I hope this helps
EDIT -- I forgot a few - one that might provide power supply and three more that still go to the BCM
TBC 1/ Fuse #8 underhood

The BCM is the power mode master of the of the two different communications systems (both low and high speed data lines) and so it also receives power input from the ignition switch to determine which modules it should wake up (or should be communicating!) #19 Underhood for Run/Start, #50 rear for ACC/RUN/START and #31 rear for ACC/RUN. These used more as input and I do not believe that they actually are used to control any outputs (the courtesy lights).

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,563 Posts
If you are only concerned about running the battery down MY GUESS is that you leave the doors open and the light go out and stay out and you are good. If I am incorrect I am sure someone will remedy that.

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
If you are only concerned about running the battery down MY GUESS is that you leave the doors open and the light go out and stay out and you are good. If I am incorrect I am sure someone will remedy that.
You are CORRECT they will turn off after about 20 minutes - but I was assuming he would be opening and closing which would reset timer.

I know I would close doors ASAP to lessen the chance of damage -- open doors take up a lot of space and easily bumped into. The lights would probably never be on long enough to cause a problem -- I only provided the information he requested

To tnhillbilly - if you decide to disable BCM, be sure to roll down widows after you remove door panels before you disable BCM.
Window indexing may not function!

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks ya'll. 20 Minutes won't run the battery down so when I open the doors (both), I'll just leave them open.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2,051 Posts
I left my doors open overnight while removing and repainting my grill covers no harm no foul. While I had the panels removed I dry lubed everything in and on the door itself that looked like it might move.

Dave

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,956 Posts
Lights are timed by BCM, 10 minutes, at least all the R's I have seen shut off in 10 minutes.

Courtesy light fuse is #40, rear fuse box, YES same one for Bed Light.

I would not worry about fuse, just do what you will.

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
Lights are timed by BCM, 10 minutes, at least all the R's I have seen shut off in 10 minutes.

Courtesy light fuse is #40, rear fuse box, YES same one for Bed Light.

I would not worry about fuse, just do what you will.

Dicktator
Thanks, I should have known you knew which of the power supplies (fuses) the BCM uses to feed the courtesy lights. Wiring diagrams etc don't show the internal circuitry of BCM with enough detail to make that determination.

Service manual says 20 minutes. I never bothered to time it I just verifiy that they do go out.

I have also had doors open for periods longer than pulling door panels (chrome interior and exterior handles, working on/in dash, cleaning interior etc) and have never had a problem either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts