Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2005 6-Speed
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this broken spring in that cab of my SSR while cleaning it out.

OD of spring coil is 1-3/16".

Does anyone recognize it?

It may not even be a part from this truck?

Jewellery Auto part Bicycle part Circle Font
Audio equipment Wood Automotive tire Art Personal protective equipment

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
5,839 Posts
Thanks for the info! I think I found one of those on the floor of Thunder recently. Couldn't figure out where it came from either! Clutch seems to be working fine but I better get it fixed before it doesn't! :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
Clutch does work fine but you'll notice the pressure is easier that before it broke.
Also, because of the added pedal drop, there are times when your cruise control won't arm/function. Best to replace the spring.

·
Registered
'05 Aqua Blur 6-spd
985 Posts
Also, because of the added pedal drop, there are times when your cruise control won't arm/function. Best to replace the spring.
My clutch pedal return spring has been missing on my '05 6-speed since I bought it 2 1/2 years ago.

I've considered replacing it. I know where it goes but have only seen the place as the result of "selfie" pictures. How ever does one actually get hands, arms, head, body positioned to replace it? o_O

Wood Material property Gas Rim Automotive exterior

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,455 Posts
Very good question judging by the lack of answers. I am betting that @Mike in AZ might have a suggestion but it might have to wait until after Christmas.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,953 Posts
Very good question judging by the lack of answers. I am betting that @Mike in AZ might have a suggestion but it might have to wait until after Christmas.
I’m sorry…. I have never had to install one of those. My best guess is that you get a 25 year old guy to install it for you. Gotta lay on your back and work over your head. Not my cup of tea.

Have a great Christmas,

Mike

·
SSR Believer
3,886 Posts
Well, here's a thought... don't replace it! More here:

Or if you do, apparently it's not that difficult:

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
My clutch pedal return spring has been missing on my '05 6-speed since I bought it 2 1/2 years ago.

I've considered replacing it. I know where it goes but have only seen the place as the result of "selfie" pictures. How ever does one actually get hands, arms, head, body positioned to replace it? o_O

View attachment 605923
Let me tell you as an OLD Chubby Guy With Bad knees and Bad Shoulders it ain't an easy feat. But I did it!

·
Registered
2005 6-Speed
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There was a break in the rain this morning, so I decided to install the new clutch assist spring.
I opened the driver's door all the way, got on my knees outside on the concrete and was able to get reasonable access. My son used a broom handle to hold the clutch pedal down for me. He put it through the steering wheel and held the clutch pedal all the way down for the final step.

The spring gives the pedal more of an on/off switch kind of feel. I preferred the clutch feel without this spring, but my cruise control kept dropping off randomly without it. My wife likes the feel of the assist spring though, so as Huey would say, "Doing it All for My Baby".

Here is a link to some "How-to" instructions for the Corvette which has the same setup:

And a video:

·
SSR Believer
3,886 Posts
Great to hear @MidBubSC! Well done, and doesn't sound too difficult providing you have a helper and a broom. ;)

For anyone that follows that does NOT want to replace the clutch pedal spring, you can compensate for cruise control activation (per @Tom Savini here):

"Only thing I had to do was readjust the cruise control switch on top of the clutch pedal 1 time."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts