Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got our SSR last week, and I've gone through the manual thoroughly (and did a search here), but I can't figure out what that clip located on the driver's side of the console is supposed to be for.

The clip on the passenger's side is for the second cup holder and is oriented "horizontally," but the one on the driver's side is oriented "vertically," and looks larger.

Does anyone know?

·
Registered
159 Posts
It's also for the cup holder. You'll have to get the older version of the holder for the drivers side though, cause the newer one won't fit.

·
OP
8,226 Posts
JAustin said:
Just got our SSR last week, and I've gone through the manual thoroughly (and did a search here), but I can't figure out what that clip located on the driver's side of the console is supposed to be for.

The clip on the passenger's side is for the second cup holder and is oriented "horizontally," but the one on the driver's side is oriented "vertically," and looks larger.

Does anyone know?
Some of the '05's came with the old style verticle clip on the driver's side. They discontinued making that style due to the seat getting run forward and breaking the cup holder and clip and panel, expensive repair.
They have discontinued mfg. the verticle cup holder but i happened to find one in stock at another dealer, you can try it that way if you want one.
'03's and '04's had verticles on both sides, hopefully the later '05's and '06's will have horizontal's on both sides from now on, it makes sense.
Good Luck in your search.
Oh! if you do install a verticle holder, make sure you always remove it if someone else will be in your car for any reason. They will break it without even trying, you should not since you are conscious of it.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
When they installed my passenger side console cup holder piece last week it is the horizontally oriented type. Dealer said that is all you can order now. That doesn't mean some distribution centers might not have the vertical type.

P/P

Peace :flag

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mystery solved!

Thanks for all the feedback and the answers. Now I can stop wondering about it!

With only two seats, the two cupholders already there (one on the passenger's side of the console; the other in the dash), I don't need a third. So I won't be scouring the dealers' shelves for an old-style removable holder for the driver's side of the console. Maybe I can think up some creative use for that vacant clip...

Speaking of clips, I bought my SSR used, and the clip for the passenger's side cupholder was "delivered" in the console, along with the removable cupholder itself; seems the previous owner (or his service department?) got a little too aggressive installing or removing it!

The exact positioning for the clip was evident from the dried adhesive pattern on the console, so I superglued it back in place over the weekend. I'm just going to leave it alone until we need to use it, to allow the adhesive maximum time to cure.

One final question: what's the best way to install / remove the cupholder? I would assume to / from the front of the vehicle?

Thanks again!

·
OP
8,226 Posts
JAustin said:
Thanks for all the feedback and the answers. Now I can stop wondering about it!

With only two seats, the two cupholders already there (one on the passenger's side of the console; the other in the dash), I don't need a third. So I won't be scouring the dealers' shelves for an old-style removable holder for the driver's side of the console. Maybe I can think up some creative use for that vacant clip...

Speaking of clips, I bought my SSR used, and the clip for the passenger's side cupholder was "delivered" in the console, along with the removable cupholder itself; seems the previous owner (or his service department?) got a little too aggressive installing or removing it!

The exact positioning for the clip was evident from the dried adhesive pattern on the console, so I superglued it back in place over the weekend. I'm just going to leave it alone until we need to use it, to allow the adhesive maximum time to cure.

One final question: what's the best way to install / remove the cupholder? I would assume to / from the front of the vehicle?

Thanks again!
YES, from the front, slide toward rear, there is no click into place or anything, it just stops.

On the verticle clip, some have commented that you can put a belt clip for a cell phone into that clip to hold your cell phone, have not tried it, but I can see how it could work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts