Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
If drive it less than 3-4,000 miles a year and not for business than Hagerty is great.
They insure all my collector and special interest cars.
Mort

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,941 Posts
I had American family for several years along with all my other vehicles, house and Harley. It was okay. Very expensive with a $500 deductible. Did not have a full agreed upon value amount if totaled.

Last year I looked into and got Hagerty collector car insurance. No deductible much cheaper policy. Agreed upon value of $30,000.00 if totaled no deductible and no questions asked. Also have drivers club and road side assistance. For a small fee I added on that I get the full check and keep the salvaged vehicle if totaled. No mileage limit per year.

A couple drawbacks for some folks.
1. You have to have another vehicle you drive every day.
2. Cannot drive my SSR as a daily driver.
3. When not driven it must be housed in a garage.

It was perfect for me. Good luck.

·
BlueStreak
26,925 Posts
I have to check into Hagerty. If I have two SSRs can I insure them both since I do not drive either every day? Both are garaged and it would be nice to have all the benefits. (y)

·
Registered
463 Posts
I believe if Both SSR's are insured with Hagerty you still have to have a daily driver insured with someone else.
I too have Hagerty and it was absolutely the best bang for the bucks. AND personally I would NEVER give State Farm a single dime of my money. Not a dime. They have done wrong to a close family member twice. I have no use for a company that refuses to be on the side of innocent patrons. Say NO to State Farm!
You could also check with Grundy Insurance.

·
Premium Member
4,299 Posts
I checked with Hagerty's and Grundy's. Good rates for what you get but a lot of restrictions for what I use my R for. Mileage, if you take your truck on vacation and have a accident you better have a car show on your schedule. If you decide to drive to the doctor's some morning and have a accident better hope you had a show at the doctor's office. If for some reason you leave it outside and something happens your SOL. To me the specialty insurance is for garage queens. Just my .02.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
In my opinion, Hagerty, Grundy, etc. are for garage queens. If that's what you've got, fine. But if you DRIVE you SSR, belly up and negotiate the best deal you can with a major insurance player. Less headaches in case of a boo boo.

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,941 Posts
I have to check into Hagerty. If I have two SSRs can I insure them both since I do not drive either every day? Both are garaged and it would be nice to have all the benefits. (y)
Basically they told me that you had to have another vehicle insured by another company that was your daily driver and you drove that everyday. Might contact them and asked the questions. I got my policy locally through a Farmers Insurance agent. Hate dealing with 1-800 people. This way I have a local go to guy. I have found out in the past your insurance is only as good as your agent especially if he is in your corner.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I have used Hagerty for my classics and been happy all the way around with them. I did switch to using a local Farmer’s agent, however, when son became one. They are upfront about the usage and storage, so there weren’t any surprises about any of that. If the vehicle is a daily driver or used for a business, with one exception I know of, a more traditional insurance is needed. Of course that usage difference is a big reason why the rates are so inexpensive. The one exception referenced was using my ‘37 in a movie shoot some years ago. I notified Hagerty and they added a rider to cover the truck for the days needed for the shoot. I think I recall it cost about $50 per day additional. The only added info with that experience would be, if you do a movie shoot, read the book or play before you decide. It might turn out to be one experience best left to others tastes. Fortunately, the scenes were cut from the movie.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
I’ve had Grundy for 8-10 years. They always beat the rates I’ve check with ALL of the collector car insurance companies. Remember this is “declared value” so to some extent you control the cost.
I always am going to a rally, repair or clean up when I drive my R or Vette. But Grundy does allow for a Sunday drive to enjoy your vehicle.
I’ve never had a claim, so I want to be clear that I’ve never tested Grundy.
They have my Z51 C7 Corvette as well. Althougth it’s not a “classic” they will write it as a collector car. Restrictions are the same for it as exist for the R. And they KILLED Geico!
Good luck , check them out.
I don’t work for Grundy by the way!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I believe if Both SSR's are insured with Hagerty you still have to have a daily driver insured with someone else.
I too have Hagerty and it was absolutely the best bang for the bucks. AND personally I would NEVER give State Farm a single dime of my money. Not a dime. They have done wrong to a close family member twice. I have no use for a company that refuses to be on the side of innocent patrons. Say NO to State Farm!
You could also check with Grundy Insurance.
[/QUOTE
State farm took my money for 40yr (home and auto) then left me to pay total for hail damage_ agent wouldn't budge 😠😠😠

1 - 14 of 14 Posts