Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please explain to me what it is and why is it a problem? I'm taking mine in for some warranty work and like to know if anything ca be done. But forst I have to know what the hell it is. :)

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,531 Posts
The drive shft "tink" noise is a noise problem only. It doesn't seem to be an indication of immediate failure of the drive shaft, but it sure makes the SSR sound like a cheap toy instead of a true truck.

My former 03 SSR had this problem starting at about 150 miles on the odometer. It would occur when placing the tranny in reverse from park. It would also occur MANY times at a stop light/sign and as soon as I would hit the gas pedal, the noise would occur. I could also hear it when applying/releasing the gas pedal while driving and it would be heard in the SSR cabin (mainly with the roof down).

I've been told the noise comes from two pieces of the drive shaft are flexing when stress is applied ot the shaft in the opposite direction of the current stress on the shaft. The two metal pieces (which ones I don't know) that move enough to hit each other cause the noise and the noise is amplified by the rest of the drive shaft, thus making it loud enough to hear.

Please do not confuse this noise with "normal drive line" clanking noises. I've driven many rear wheel drive cars and none of them made this noise.

Driving my SSR with the top down around town was not nice since I would hear this dang noise at every stop light/sign and during normal use of the gas pedal.

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,128 Posts
I just had mine to the dealer to check out the tinking sound on mine. They said there is an info bulletin on the trailblazer that addresses this problem. The large nut on the yoke to the rear end should be re torqued and he found on mine that the bolts holding the straps on the u-joint werea little loose. I'll let you know if that worked. Next step is a drive shaft replacement.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,531 Posts
I had my drive shaft replaced once and after 150 miles on the second (same type) drive shaft, the noise was present once again.

There was to be a redesigned drive shaft to "fix" this problem, but I did not keep my 03 SSR long enough to find out if it fixed it or not. There was one other SSR owner that I believe reported they had the redesigned drive shaft installed and it too starting making the same noise, but it took more miles of use to make the noise appear again.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I was at the dealer today

there is only one part no. for drive shaft: 10371682
I asked about if there is a new and improved d. shaft -- none in the comp. sys.

This is for another post but don't remember where?
the part # for Oil filler Cap. with Moble 1 written on it; 12577268 about $21

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Driveshaft

The Part Number # 10371682 is for the new and improved driveshaft.

The new version driveshaft has a white dot on the end near the rear.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't hear anything. Am I lucky or all of them should have this problem?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't hear anything. Am I lucky or all of them should have this problem?

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,531 Posts
My former 03 SSR DEFINITELY had this noise with its original drive shaft and the replacement drive shaft (not the redesigned drive shaft).

There was one 03 SSR the dealership used for advertising, and that 03 SSR did NOT have the "tink" noise at all. In fact that's how the service manager (which took some convincing) figured that my drive shaft noise was abnormal since the somewhat heavily used 03 SSR did not have the noise (at least not in the limited test on the dealership lot). That test being starting up the engine, applying the brake and then shifting from Park to Reverse. My drive shaft would produce a very loud "TINK" noise at that point and many, many times while driving the SSR.

Do no confuse this noise with "normal" drive line slack noise from the gears in the rear end. This sounds like a "tink" noise which is not normal.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I must have gotten lucky, I can't hear a thing. Thanks for the explanation.

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,128 Posts
Is there a service bulletin out on replacing the driveshaft?
Did it help the noise with the "new" designed shaft?

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
I have about 1000 miles on the "NEW" driveshaft and it is starting to make the "tink" noise again. The dealer is working with GM, but GM feels that the new driveshaft should have fixed the problem and have not heard any other problems as of yet.

The only reference number I have is......PI-AIT 3027.

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,128 Posts
My dealer just left a message that he has ordered a newly designed driveshaft with "a dampener" on it. He was on the phone with GM tech service and they apparently know of the problem. Should be here in a week or so. I'll see if it works.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ford treats its customers right

At least one Manufacturer knows how to take care of its customers :nono

Ford to Check 740,000 SUVs for Glitch
12:45 p.m. 11/22/2004 Provided by

DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co. (F) announced plans on Monday to notify about 740,000 owners of 2004 model-year Explorers and Mercury Mountaineers of a potential transmission problem in the popular sport utility vehicles.

Ford will be sending out letters asking customers to take the SUVs to a dealership for repairs that will be done free of charge, Ford spokeswoman Kristen Kinley said.

Ford decided to send out the notification following complaints that the SUVs' transmissions fail to engage smoothly or make a noise when shifting from park to reverse, Kinley said.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has received a number of complaints from Ford customers about the problem. No recall notice has been issued, but the problem with the Explorer, which is America's best-selling SUV, could put a dent in recent claims of improved quality at the second-largest U.S. automaker.

"We are in the process of a service repair procedure," Kinley said, adding that Ford dealers were already repairing some vehicles that have the problem.

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
Addition Info.

RISSR said:
At least one Manufacturer knows how to take care of its customers :nono

.... "We are in the process of a service repair procedure," Kinley said, adding that Ford dealers were already repairing some vehicles that have the problem.
F.Y.I. Not all issues are made public until a complete history has been documented and or compiled. How about: Ford/ Firestone tire issues?
*Also take note that Ford was already making repairs before they decided to go public!
I thought you might like to read about some addtional information that some might say could be the same or a related issue ("Tech" guy from here shared with me awhile ago). We were discussing the "tink" issues that I was experiencing on my SSR and he gave me this upadate to read. There is "in development" a newer (more accurate) software program that should be forth coming to possibly eliminate the condition known as Torque Reversal issues. This new update software should eliminate the bumping/ clinking noises between shifts. Please read this issue below:

4L603/4L653 Snap Noise 2-1 Downshift - kw 136 149 233 236 246 4L60EHD automatic bind clash clunk drive engage grab hard harsh second shift #PIP3106 - (Sep 22, 2004)

4L603/4L653 Snap Noise 2-1 Downshift

Condition/Concern:

96 – 05 light-duty trucks, passenger cars and utilities equipped with the 4L60E (M30) and 4L65# (M32) Automatic transmissions may experience a single snap noise during a 2-1 downshift when coming to a stop.

The snap noise should not be confused with a stop clunk as it as a snap. The snap noise may be described as a ball peen hammer hitting the transmission case. The noise may also be present when shifting from reverse to drive or drive to reverse. The snap noise may appear to becoming from the transfer case. (similar to the sound/noise in our driveshaft)

POSSIBLE CAUSE – The Low and Reverse Clutch Support Retainer Spring (anti-clunk spring) (item 680) may have been bent during the production process or during an overhaul at the dealer. The noise will most likely occur at low mileage (0 to 7500).

Recommendation? Instructions:

The Low and Reverse Clutch Support Retainer Spring *item 680) should be inspected for being bent. If damaged, the retainer spring should be replaced.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be preformed. If these steps don’t resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance.

Models:

(96-05) ALL GM Light Duty Trucks and Cars equipped with the 4L60 E M30 and 4L65E M32)

I will share more iformation as soon as I receive it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
So, at times I get very concerned about all of the problems that I read about on this site. I'm about to (any day now) take delivery of a 2005 SSR. I’ve been driving Chevy's for over 30 years and bought my first new one in 1983. I've never had a bad one... and there even build better today!

I had a re-call on my 2003 Corvette. I took it back to the dealer and the mechanic repaired in 19 minutes (recorded on the work order). It was a software update.

Most of the problems that I read about on this site seem to be significant design flaws (noise in the cabin, Cup holder, Don't get the window down one yet), or chronic problems.

What to do??????

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why doesn't anybody use the term backlash? Sure sounds like drive shaft backlash to me. I'm scared everytime I step on the gas after coming to a stop. Maybe that's my problem, I don't step on it enough.

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
ENJOY your NEW SSR!

Bill Bogert said:
So, at times I get very concerned about all of the problems that I read about on this site. I'm about to (any day now) take delivery of a 2005 SSR. I’ve been driving Chevy's for over 30 years and bought my first new one in 1983. I've never had a bad one... and there even build better today!

I had a re-call on my 2003 Corvette. I took it back to the dealer and the mechanic repaired in 19 minutes (recorded on the work order). It was a software update.

Most of the problems that I read about on this site seem to be significant design flaws (noise in the cabin, Cup holder, Don't get the window down one yet), or chronic problems.

What to do??????
HI Bill,

If you notice the tranny issues above have shown up on other GM vehicles such as the Trailblazer, Tahoes and pickups. Also, please notice that Ford has had their share of many problems/issues too. You have to take into account that the SSR is a much smaller volume production run where it then becomes much more difficult to get volume feed back. Remember they make hundreds of thousands of the SUVs vs. only 15,000 SSRs so far... and (how many hundreds are still sitting on dealers lots)?

Again, as I have mentioned to you before, I do understand your concerns. I believe "most" of the issues that you read about on here have been corrected and or addressed... yes some still need to be fixed or corrected. However there will always be something that can be improved upon. Even the legendary Corvette is still working through issues today and it has been improved upon over and over again for the past 50 years!

When you finally get to own and drive your brand new SSR you will truly know the feeling of pride that comes with being among the very lucky few that will experience a truly exceptional piece of automotive machinery.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts