Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there
I am in a situation where I want to replace the throttle body on my 2005.
I have tried to find the right one on different sites ( gmpartsgiant, autozone, gmpartssuperstore e.t.c), but they give me different suggestions on what TB fits my Engine (6.0L)
Is there anybody on the forum that knows?

(The TB I have has 125 72 658 on it, but I have not managed to find anyone with that number)

//Lennart

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
Hello out there
I am in a situation where I want to replace the throttle body on my 2005.
I have tried to find the right one on different sites ( gmpartsgiant, autozone, gmpartssuperstore e.t.c), but they give me different suggestions on what TB fits my Engine (6.0L)
Is there anybody on the forum that knows?

(The TB I have has 125 72 658 on it, but I have not managed to find anyone with that number)

//Lennart
The OEM throttle body for the 6.0 liter SSR is 12679524. This throttle body is fine on naturally aspirated LS2 engines and ones with a Magnuson MP-112 supercharger. This part number works fine for GM or AC Delco. They are about $180 USD.

If your truck has a Magnuson TVS-2300 supercharger, the OEM throttle body should be replaced with one that is standard on the Corvette and the GTO. The GM part number for that is 12570790. The AC Delco number for that throttle body is 217-1617. This throttle body is about $390 USD. If you choose to use this one, be sure that it is a genuine GM/AC Delco part from a reputable source...... there are some imported copies on eBay and other places.

Good luck,

Mike

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Hi Mike,
Doesn't the Corvette throttle body interfere with the Jackstaff on the Magnuson TVS-2300 supercharger? I was told by Joe that I could not use the Corvette because of that reason.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Rock Auto has the AC Delco 12679524 listed for 136.79 plus they have a 5% off code if you use 15F4E19C570E26. I was just on their site ordering some plugs and an O2 sensor for the wife's car

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
Hi Mike,
Doesn't the Corvette throttle body interfere with the Jackstaff on the Magnuson TVS-2300 supercharger? I was told by Joe that I could not use the Corvette because of that reason.
That's the throttle body on my 2300. We made the throttle body to inlet holes oblong and the inlet to supercharger holes oblong...... all in an effort to rotate the throttle body a few degrees to get it to clear the jackshaft. After doing that, you still have to use a dremel on the electrical connector in order to get about 0.100" clearance to the jackshaft. It is tight, but it fits when everything is clocked right.

Regards, brother...

Mike

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank's Mike for your kind answer.
I think I will give the whole story of my problems with the Throttle body. It is unfortunately a long and not funny story. But I hope it will be a happy ending, sooner or later.
After installing the Magnuson TRV 2300 I had 2 - 3 lovely months without any problems. Then some awful lights began to light up in the instrument cluster. Check Engine light and MIL light. TCD's were P2135 (Throttle position sensor 1-2 correlation) and P1516 (Throttle actuator control position) and P2101 (Throttle actuator position performance). When the TCD's where erased,the awful lights were turned off, and engine went well again. After a couple of weeks, however, the lights came back, and they have been done that occasionally. Sometimes they have dissapeared of their own, sometimes i have erased the TCD's. After consulting Mike, I obtained a throttle body from GTO ( 12 570 790). However, it was not new, but used.
However, the problems with the lamps continued in the same way. In addition to that, the idle speed was very high (1400 rpm) and then the gas was hanging when I released the accelerator pedal.
Recently I have tried a third TB bought from a Chevy dealer here in Sweden. (number is RME87)That gave new problems. The engine had very bad bidle, it was close to stalling, and quite bad at all other rpm's.
I have now tried to get help from the company that did the tuning after the TRV 2300 installation, but they have been unable to help. They have advised me to get a new throttle body, exactly the same as the original.
And that is where I am now. I do not know if it's the right way to go, but I have to try something. I hope the 126 79 524 will help and give a happy ending to this.
//Lennart

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
Lennart,

I have the 12679524 that came off my SSR when I went to the GTO/Corvette unit. Would you like me to send it to you? It is a known good unit that was cleaned, wrapped and stored several years ago...... It was working great when I pulled it.

Mike

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike

YESS SIR !!
I want it, and I appreciate the idea !
I'll send you a PM with my adress.
Thanks

Lennart

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,433 Posts
2300 0n 5.3

Mike,

I'm putting a magna 2300 on my 5.3 (Joe's advice) because it was rebuilt with forged rotating parts and has upgraded cam and heads. We haven't talked about upgrading the throttle body yet. Do you have a suggestion on this?

Dave

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
Mike,

I'm putting a magna 2300 on my 5.3 (Joe's advice) because it was rebuilt with forged rotating parts and has upgraded cam and heads. We haven't talked about upgrading the throttle body yet. Do you have a suggestion on this?

Dave
Dave,

I would recommend the 12570790 throttle body as the first choice for any 2300 install. I think Joe will agree..... You will need to contact Joe to be sure you get the correct supercharger inlet adapter. This is a 4 bolt throttle body, instead of your 3 bolt. You will also need an in-line adapter to make it work with your engine computer system. Again, Joe is the optimum source for the exact part number....

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,433 Posts
Thanks very much, Mike!

May I have your opinion on the OEM transmission that this engine will be strapped to? I have had a shift kit installed on it as well as the Corvette servo, and I've had the 2 - 3 shift ports opened up a bit to make that shift faster. Will this tranny be able to handle the increased horsepower from the Magna 2300 supercharger?

Dave

Dave,

I would recommend the 12570790 throttle body as the first choice for any 2300 install. I think Joe will agree..... You will need to contact Joe to be sure you get the correct supercharger inlet adapter. This is a 4 bolt throttle body, instead of your 3 bolt. You will also need an in-line adapter to make it work with your engine computer system. Again, Joe is the optimum source for the exact part number....

Regards,

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
Thanks very much, Mike!

May I have your opinion on the OEM transmission that this engine will be strapped to? I have had a shift kit installed on it as well as the Corvette servo, and I've had the 2 - 3 shift ports opened up a bit to make that shift faster. Will this tranny be able to handle the increased horsepower from the Magna 2300 supercharger?

Dave
Dave,

Call Greg Ducato at Phoenix Transmissions in Weatherford, TX....... He will be able to answer your tranny questions.... I trust him a LOT.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts