Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very seriously considering the ppuchase of a new 2004 SSR at a great price, and just wanted to do some last minute sanity checks. :)

I checked on insurance rates with my agent, as I have a 20 year old male drive in the house, and it turns out there is no issue there - the quoted rate is reasonable, even low.

My remaining questions are:

What besides oil changes have you guys found that the vehicle has actually needed in terms of miantenance and/or repairs during the first year of ownership?

Anything to be particularly aware of?

Jim G

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
You've about hit it on the head - standard service items.

Whats killin me (OK oK it's self inflicted) is buying all the SSR 'gear' and collectables.

Depending on your driving style - tires may be an issue - but at last check, Tire Rack had the 20" rears at $135 each and the 19" fronts @ $139 each. My latest purchase was a set of the OEM aluminum wheels from a SSR owner that swapped out for chrome. With no spare - I like the idea of having a complete set - ready to go...

Oh yeah - and the $400 for the leather jacket...

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,149 Posts
You have to figure in all the time you will be demonstrating the top going up and down and all the questions you get from onlookers everywhere you go.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Easy Maintenance

Just Oil changes, check fluid levels, try not to run over anything.......:banghead

and plenty of detailing products to your SSR looking Showroom fresh!!!:flag

RickSSR :cool

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is encouraging so far . . .

No weird problems with the retractable roof?

No other strange problems due to the low volume semi-custom build?

Jim G

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Ss

Lots if Gas, but worth every penny.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I can't speak for others, and mine was one of the first 1000 made so it was bound to have probs. with the roof. It has been in five times so far to get it adjusted so it won't "roof cycle time out". That message comes up when something is obstructing the operation of the roof. It is going in for the sixth time for this very problem later this month. I found a great mechanic that knows how to adjust the tonu and the top. They are both very closely related and when my first dealership adjusted it, they did a horrible job and it was way out of adjustment. The tonu hinges and the top hinges have to be adjusted according to proper specs. I have no clue what they are since I have not dropped the $$$$ to get the full manual that details this and it probably would not do me any good any way since I don't have all of the proper tools. The roof was also painted because the bolts on the flipper door scratched the roof. They had to shave the bolts to make it stop and then painted the roof. No matter how many times I have to take it back to get adjusted,I figured going into this that would probably be an ongoing thing. There are just too many moving parts to expect it to be perfect forever.

You may be asking yourself, why in the world would I want to keep this lemon? I have waited for this concept to become a reality for years and will treasure it and keep it until they pry it from my cold dead fingers some day. I plan on painting the daylights out of it with graphics that will terrify anyone in hopes they won't come up to it to scratch it. If you love hot rods and the thrill of a basal exhaust note and want to have a blast driving, you owe it to yourself to buy this vehicle. I love this truck with all her faults like no other I have ever had or will ever have. There is just no way to describe the thrill of driving an SSR. Just ask Jay Leno and Jeff Gordon! Get some of that man.....!!!!! :jester

·
Registered
64 Posts
i JUST RUINED A REAR TIRE AND THE PRICE WAS $289 WHICH INCLUDED BALANCE WHAT ARE YOU GETTING FOR $135 RECAP???? :mad

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Jim Prendergast said:
i JUST RUINED A REAR TIRE AND THE PRICE WAS $289 WHICH INCLUDED BALANCE WHAT ARE YOU GETTING FOR $135 RECAP???? :mad
Dang!!!!! What the heck did you do? Man!!!!! Tire Rack .com seems to have a great price and Supposedl Sears will match it! Where did you get your tire? :seeya

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,781 Posts
kw...are you speaking of Goodyear Eagles??

kwhopper89 said:
You've about hit it on the head - standard service items.

Whats killin me (OK oK it's self inflicted) is buying all the SSR 'gear' and collectables.

Depending on your driving style - tires may be an issue - but at last check, Tire Rack had the 20" rears at $135 each and the 19" fronts @ $139 each. My latest purchase was a set of the OEM aluminum wheels from a SSR owner that swapped out for chrome. With no spare - I like the idea of having a complete set - ready to go...

Oh yeah - and the $400 for the leather jacket...
Bought a 20" Goodyear Eagle last June for $225. That included the O/N shipping from Indiana. I'd be leery if the tire only cost $135. Keep your eye peeled on that one.

Back to the question though...have had one emession sensor changed, the passenger drink holder side panel replaced, and the computer replaced. Computer replaced for random misfires documented, but not experienced when driving. Also had two flats which were patched. The flats were the only thing which wasn't covered under warranty.

GO BUY THE TRUCK!!!! You'll never experience anything like it!! :glol

I bought Penelope on Jan 21st last year. Have 19,000 miles on it.

P/P

Peace :flag

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
No - No - No,

BRAND NEW tire from TireRack - 135 + 20 to ship - had the tire in less than 48 hrs...

Just looked at Tire rack - price back up to 156 for the rear - front still 139...

Goodyear Eagle RS-A
(High Performance All-Season)
SPECIAL OFFER: Get a free $50 gas card with these Goodyear tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
goodyear the 289 included taxes and balance.....tire is not a stocked tire and I had to wait till the next day to get it.. By the way the gunk you put in the tire works only problem is the pump takes forever to fill the tire.

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
I hate repair shop mark-ups... :cuss

I had a new tire in the bed - just waiting for the shop to tell me they needed to 'order' one cause they couldn't repair the slow leak in mine. So, 135 + 25 to mount and balance... 160 out the door...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts