Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find the SSR a great combination between a (small) pickup and a (sporty) car, it ticks the right boxes for me, to name a few:

It might not be the fastest around (5.3L stock), but that means I can enjoy the nice engine sound longer before I reach the speed limit,

the cargo bay is smaller than a classic pickup, but you still can pack a good amount of stuff,
and is not too large for the belgian/european roads (it's not that practical to park an american pick up truck here at the grocery store),

the unique design between 'modern' and 'retro' might mean that it's not loved by some people but also more timeless than other designs,

being able to go topless and still pack a decent amount of stuff is great for a summer weekend holiday! :ssr

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,443 Posts
I agree Daily Driver! I first saw the SSR in pictures as a concept from the Detroit Auto Show and not to long later heard that they were going to build it! So for me, the styling was what I first loved and the hardtop convertible was really iceing on the cake!

Then when my 6.0 LS2 first fired up it was awesome! Just love that sound and power! My brother has a Saturn Sky, which is a great looking small sports car with a convertible top. Once the top goes in the trunk, there is no room for luggage. Our small pickup bed is indeed an awesome feature that has plenty of room for vacation trips!

The other thing I like about it is all the great conversations I have as we stop for gas, shop or even stopping at a traffic lights! People just want to know more about our little Hot Rod because it's So Unique!!!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Never had a convertible and after I sold my pick up I had for 21 years decided it was time to get one. Thought about getting a Saturn Sky,Solstice or even a Cadillac XLR but after driving them and realizing there wasn't any room in the trunk after the top was down they wouldn't be practical, plus I missed my pick up.Only choice left was the SSR. Couldn't have made a better choice you don't see many of them around and as you all know they are fun to drive plus you inherit a new family and friends with the Fanatics. Best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
Top off

My first convertible hardtop was a '55 Thunderbird. I still have it. It was surely fun, but little trunk space.

My second convertible was a '65 Mustang. I still have it. It had more trunk space.

My third was a 1994 Honda Del Sol. I still have it. It was closer to the SSR which is hard to believe. The targo top went into trunk and took little space. The rear window went down so you just had the "roll bar" left. The trunk is quite large and being an older Honda Civic it had outstanding handling especially for a front wheel drive.

My last is our SSR. It doesn't handle any where as good as the Del Sol, but is fun to drive by us older folks. The trunk space is huge and with the 6.0 it has great power.

Dave

·
Registered
245 Posts
There are many reason why I love my "R". STYLE: It's retro styling and customized look. CURB APPEAL: It's a conversation starter and chic magnate. PERFORMANCE: with a Corvette LS2 and in my case a 6 spd Tremek, it has the power and performance to put a grin on observers and a permagrin on me. UTILITY: Two waterproof storage areas (with the top up) that are perfect for trips and compensate nicely for the Corvette style interior. PEDIGREE: It's a hard top convertible, it's rare, it's performance oriented, it's a chevy. VERSATILITY: there are many ways to personalize an "R", in the styling department and the performance department. And saving the best for last, the sense of belonging to a "special" group of auto enthusiasts that enjoy sharing tips and experiences, and tolerate me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Years ago when I managed golf courses one of my members bought one. Loved it but at that point couldn't afford one..........now I've got a 6-speed 05, black on black. I'm semi-retired and it's my daily driver as well as tows my Nitro Z-7 bass boat!! My only concern is in the future is getting in/out with my hip!!! P.S. 2nd and 3rd gear are a BLAST getting on the freeway!!!!

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
The wife and I wanted a convertible for retirement. We looked at a bunch but just didn't care for the noise of a rag top. Searching the net for possibilities and pics the SSR filled the bill. Less than a month later Old Yella was ours..:yellow::rock:

Reactions: Jersey red

·
High Plains Roadster
225 Posts
The style.
The engine - 6.0.
The convertible.
The interior.
and since I live in Wyoming,
it's a TRUCK to boot!

·
Premium Member
2005 Redline SSR, 1990 Harley Davidson FatBoy FLSTF
164 Posts
Seems that you have gotten the "PermaGrin" with short ownership of your SSR, I wish I could see the heads you turn in Belguim with I think is the best color "Redline Red." I visited my uncle in Bussels. Welcome from Music City USA, Nashville Tennessee. This is the best group, you can always get help and support with any issues that may come up.
90 FatBoy

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
I wanted a hard top convertible for my retirement I never even had one before but I looked at them for years.
I drove my neighbor SSR just because and really like it a lot. So I bought his 04 red with a but load of miles and drove it for 50k more.
Upon purchase he told me about this great group of folks.
I like the truck it is great I like having 2 seats like having lots of room for things in the back.

To be honest I like the attention it brings. I give anyone who wants to go for a ride to bring a smile to someone is just a awesome feeling.
I now have a 06 pac blue 6 speed now I was lucky enough to get it from a great friend.
I have had some great cars along the way which I have sold but planning on keeping this one and just add something to it later.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,436 Posts
The looks were first, saw the flames that matched our '36. Sold! But then I learned of this great fanatic family and that's why I know I'll never sell. I'm in a local hot rod club but it's nothing like this great group. The SSR is the tie that binds us together.

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,428 Posts
Around the time I retired, I started getting the need for speed, but I still wanted a truck. So I knew that I wanted a fast truck. That left the Ford Lightning and the SSR. I was hooked on the SSR after seeing the Car Hauler commercial, but since it was in the $49k's, I had given up on that. As I was close to making a deal on a white Lightning, Ilsa showed up at a local high-end used car lot and we made a deal that I could afford.

She has everything I wanted and more. A high performance truck (especially with all of the horsepower and handling upgrades I've done) that is also a convertible, and whose styling is based on the '50's Chevy 3100 like the one my Grandpa had on the farm. It was obviously built with me in mind.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
For me the SSR has the modern conveniences like cruise, power windows, modern suspension and so on with the design of an old truck. Kinda like having a street rod right from the factory with the LS engine that so many rods use these days. And with factory Chevy reliability instead of a ride that has a lot of parts from many different cars. Number one reason for me to choose it was the ability to turn it into a woody that I've always wanted without having to get something 70 years old or more. In the mid seventies my brother had a 1929 Ford model A roadster pickup, beautiful. I said many times that if they ever make another roadster pickup I want one, along came the SSR.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,363 Posts
Hmmm. That's a very good question. :smile2:

Its kinda hard to put into words but it just feels right, ya know? When I went for my 1st test drive ((top down of course)), I just knew what I had to do.

It felt so right. Like it was meant to be. :wink2:

==============
David :black:
2018-12-17-17-12-37--1900711681.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
When I was ready to retire we wanted a classic convertible or a Corvette to travel than I looked at the SSR hard top no rag top to worry about big trunk and easier to get in and out of I was sold

·
Registered
303 Posts
I was four years old (1999) and everywhere, I was drawing pictures of *specifically* a factory paint purple pickup truck.
My little kid imagination went crazy.
It needed to be a convertible; it needed a hardtop, obviously; it needed to have massive fenders, and in a lot of my pictures, it had a covered trunk. Coming from a GM family, it had to be a GMC. I didn't even care what engine it had, as long as it had one that could drive down the road.

As would be the case, my family pointed out that there is no such thing, and probably never would be. Fenders had gone out of style eons before I came along and purple was never going to to be a factory color unless you're losing your mind and going Plum Crazy.
Dad suggested the closest I would get would to repaint an El Camino.
As much as I liked the El Camino idea,
(at that time, I had never seen one)
it just wasn't... everything.

A year later, Y2K rolls around, and I'm watching a car show on my grandparents' tube TV.
AND IT WAS THERE.
A hardtop convertible trunk bed pickup truck...
With voluminously substantial fenders.

AND IT WAS PURRRPLE.

When Dad picked me up I wanted him to get one right now. Right now right now.
You know, that right now that comes before right now right now.
It wasn't really his style, and admittedly, 50K is a bit much to spend on a five year old.
After explaining that the show was for concept cars only, and what a concept car was, we went home.
...But I never forgot about the concept.
Oblivious to any restrictions, I privately saved any money I could to get that specific podium truck.

Life passes, time flies, 2015 rolls around and I don't have much money, and I have a lot of other priorities. I casually glance out the front window (of my grandparents' house) and I watched an SA Black cruise past. I thought it was a snazzy looking car. But nothing to sneeze at.
A few seconds later, it hit me like a brick wall.
That was a car truck.
The purple car truck was a real thing.
They actually made the concept into a real, working car.

As big changes in my life happened, God opened his hands, for the first time in my life I was able to get a job at 21. With some help, a lot of prayer and the entirety of my first years' pay, we found the one.
After three years of searching and a boat load of learning, I bought the first car titled in my name, at age 22.

My purple people eater is my first car.
I will never let go of my truck as long as I have the choice, and I will never, ever let go of my story.
It is the embodiment of my childhood imagination, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

That is why the SSR is my perfect car.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Hey Studmuffin, that is quite the impressive story. Congratulations on your first ride, I'm sure very few of us old guys can say we had something that nice first time around.... mine was a VW squareback. Nice to see some young blood in our family group.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts