Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my low oil presure message came on today. I was warned these corvette engines eat the oil, but I didn't believe it. :)

Anyway, the oil thing says Mobil 1, I guess I can get that anywhere.

But the power steering thingy is empty. It says DOT 3, can I use any power steering fluid marked DOT 3?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If your cap says DOT3 it's not power steering fluid it's brake fluid. the power steering cap is next to the alt.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wingrider said:
If your cap says DOT3 it's not power steering fluid it's brake fluid. the power steering cap is next to the alt.
You're right. The brake fluid, surprisingly enough, was full. :)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put two quarts in and can just barely see it on the dipstick.

These truck really do burn a quart every 1000 miles.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I am too lucky in life as I also have a C6. The GM dealers Mobil 1 is a filtered product no where near as good as a Walmart off the shelf Mobil 1 5 W 30. The techie Corvette Forum guys found this other corner GM was cutting to pinch more pennies and Mobil made the change and charged GM less for the product. Sad but true.

·
Registered
416 Posts
bills03z said:
The GM dealers Mobil 1 is a filtered product no where near as good as a Walmart off the shelf Mobil 1 5 W 30. The techie Corvette Forum guys found this other corner GM was cutting to pinch more pennies and Mobil made the change and charged GM less for the product. Sad but true.
Just passed 5K on my SSR, and she's about a bit below 1 quart low on the dipstick. So the engine oil consumption appears to be a fact of life for my copy.

I can understand why GM (the manufacturer) might use a reformulated/filtered Mobil 1 to cut costs, but why the dealers, who can charge the customer "whatever" for oil changes?

I can easily change my own oil/filter, but for me, the value of dealer service is to check the vehicle for any other faults/problems while it's in the shop.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bills03z said:
I am too lucky in life as I also have a C6. The GM dealers Mobil 1 is a filtered product no where near as good as a Walmart off the shelf Mobil 1 5 W 30. The techie Corvette Forum guys found this other corner GM was cutting to pinch more pennies and Mobil made the change and charged GM less for the product. Sad but true.
WTF? I went to the local Chevy dealer and paid 7/gt for 5 quarts just to be sure I got the best.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JAustin said:
Just passed 5K on my SSR, and she's about a bit below 1 quart low on the dipstick. So the engine oil consumption appears to be a fact of life for my copy.

I can understand why GM (the manufacturer) might use a reformulated/filtered Mobil 1 to cut costs, but why the dealers, who can charge the customer "whatever" for oil changes?

I can easily change my own oil/filter, but for me, the value of dealer service is to check the vehicle for any other faults/problems while it's in the shop.
I'm just under 5k and my truck was 3 quarts low. The chevy parts guy said that was more or less normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts