Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 has the accessory gauges and the voltage gauge reads 15 almost 16 volts when the truck is running. I thought maybe a bad gauge but checked the voltage this morning at the cable connection in the front and it was reading 14.8 there and 15 on the gauge. This seems high as I am used to most running right around 13 volts.

·
BLU SSR
3,462 Posts
I thought the same thing--15 - 16 seemed high but both of mine read in that range. Sooo.. I guess that is "normal". I'll be interested if some of the experts chime in with a better response. :blur: :ssr

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
I have a aftermarket digital volt gage that reads between 13.8 and 14.1 driving and drops slightly at idle or when all the lights are on.
Normal healthy Battery Voltage is 12.5V-12.65V
Normal voltage output for an alternator is between 13.5 and 14.5V. It may jump to 15V at high RPM and low load but only briefly.
Voltages consistently over 15V all the time indicate a faulty alternator and will damage the battery.
Get the Alternator checked out ASAP.

·
BLU SSR
3,462 Posts
T-Baehr , I agree that a constant output of over 15 volts would be a problem but I believe that ED in FL is correct -- the stock gauges are a joke and 15 - 16 is just what they say not what is actually happening. I was just wondering if everyone else had the same readings? :blur: :ssr

·
My First Permagrin !
567 Posts
My guage reads 15 to16 all the time the truck is running. Seem to be the norm.
My gauges read 15-16 also ,I have a plug in radio Bluetooth transmitter and that Reads 14.2
I've been thinking about changing the.gauges out to all digital .post pics
If you got them! Thanks Dave

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,062 Posts
The voltage shown on the voltmeter in the gauge pod is NOT the battery voltage. The gauge is driven by the digital to analog converter in the circuit board on the back of the three gauges. The digital signal comes from the data bus that originates in the engine computer. The digital signal in the engine computer represents the internal bus voltage of the computer......... not necessarily the alternator voltage.

Please note that a fluctuating voltmeter (swinging from 11 to 15 volts erratically) is an indication of a bad ground....... at the engine computer.

Regards,

Mike

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,040 Posts
I read somewhere that the gauge actually has two functions so I followed the instructions they said and on mine this is what happens.

1. When you first turn the key to the on position, not start, it reads the battery which is about 13.
2. When you start the engine the gauge reads the input voltage which on mine is near pegged.

I also have learned these SSR's need alot of voltage to run everything. Seems like more then other vehicles. I keep a new battery in mine and it is hooked to a Battery Tender Plus when not driving.

One final thought. The gauges are for looks and bragging rights. Not very accurate and because of their location, if you try to read them going down the road "YOU ARE IN THE DITCH".

If you want pin point accuracy and easy to read go digital. I would like to do that someday.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a set for my 04 and they look even better sitting on my desk at work rather then in the truck. The 05 were in it when I got it and I didn't really pay much attention to them till the third day on the way home with it and then I figured they were just off and kept going. Glad to know they are doing what everyone else's do and its not something wrong

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
I understand the OEM gauges are inaccurate. My response was based on Stlhotrod saying he measured 14.8 at the terminal under the hood. I assumed he measured this at idle with a meter if he was under the hood. 14.8 is a tad bit high at no load idle.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,386 Posts
The factory console gauges are useless!
Normal voltage readings in my "R", with Digital Gauges, run from 13.2V to 14.5V.
I have a aftermarket digital volt gage that reads between 13.8 and 14.1 driving and drops slightly at idle or when all the lights are on.
Normal healthy Battery Voltage is 12.5V-12.65V
Normal voltage output for an alternator is between 13.5 and 14.5V. It may jump to 15V at high RPM and low load but only briefly.
Voltages consistently over 15V all the time indicate a faulty alternator and will damage the battery.
Get the Alternator checked out ASAP.
My gauges read 15-16 also ,I have a plug in radio Bluetooth transmitter and that Reads 14.2
I've been thinking about changing the.gauges out to all digital .post pics
If you got them! Thanks Dave
I agree with all of the above. Digital volt meters are a lot closer to those indicated above but in my case it also depends on which volt meter I am looing at and what I am doing. Driving or sitting at a light.

Reactions: Auggie Doggie
1 - 12 of 12 Posts