Chevy SSR Forum banner

IS the SSR a Full size truck or a Mini truck?

• Mini

Votes: 34 45.9%
  • Full

Votes: 40 54.1%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Fanatics, I need your input. When entering a truck show yesterday I was asked if the SSR was a "mini" truck or a "full" sized truck. I didn't know quite how to answer this.
So what do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But,they don't offer a "mid sized" class at any shows that I have been to. So I am stuck with full or mini...

·
Registered
442 Posts
You are stuck with nothing. They made the mistake and you do not have to live with it or be part of it. Tell them SSR's are a class in themselves!

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,202 Posts
for showing

Enter it in the Roadster class, or convertable class. If they don't have either of those enter the full size 2 wheel drive class truck class.

I've had mine in all of these and also a special interest class.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
beer100 said:
Who do you want to compete against? Mini's or Large?

Or maybe ask if they have a roadster class.

We were agianst the full sized trucks yesterday.All we got out of that was "top 50", the winner of the mini group was junk!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Personally I would say Mini class, if only those 2 catagories were available.

Based mostly because the bed size is small, for a pick up the wheels/tires seem small (compared to some lifted 4x4's I've seen) and mostly resembles the size of a Mini Truck. Of course if there were a badda*s hardtop convertable roadster/hotrod 2 seater/400hp class I would say go with that instead.

Coz

:reddevil

·
Jim-n-Tanya
1,354 Posts
Midsize

I am a Judge for the Texas Heat Wave. Have been for 8 years

Trust me!

It is a midsize Single cab truck...................

If they don't offer Midsize you will have to go fullsize. Sux cause your different!

·
Premium Member
9,316 Posts
A couple of the large shows in our area have added a new category - "New Milleneum" - vehicles have to be 2000 or newer for that class. Makes for interesting competition with Magnums, Lightnings, and a few others that don't fit in other categories.

Ray

·
Registered
256 Posts
SSR03 said:
I am a Judge for the Texas Heat Wave. Have been for 8 years

Trust me!

It is a midsize Single cab truck...................

If they don't offer Midsize you will have to go fullsize. Sux cause your different!

Trust me! It is not a TRUCK. :ssr :) I judge on the east coast and this has been brought up quite frequently with some of the other judges. The conclusion that we came up with on the east coast is that it's more in the category of the Chevy El Camino and Ford Ranchero. Basically, it has a chassis, limited load capacity, small bed, rear wheel drive, two seater, rear coil springs and considerable amount of features found in a car like the El Camino and Ranchero. Especially, now with the '05 and '06 Corvette engine. We've decided that we can't consider weight a deciding factor, especially if you compare the 1957 Ford retractable which comes in at 4400 lbs. The SSR is what GM intended it to be. part roadster, part truck. All chevrolet. A Super Sport Roadster Retractable.

·
Registered
253 Posts
FatherLarry said:
Trust me! It is not a TRUCK. :ssr :) I judge on the east coast and this has been brought up quite frequently with some of the other judges. The conclusion that we came up with on the east coast is that it's more in the category of the Chevy El Camino and Ford Ranchero. Basically, it has a chassis, limited load capacity, small bed, rear wheel drive, two seater, rear coil springs and considerable amount of features found in a car like the El Camino and Ranchero. Especially, now with the '05 and '06 Corvette engine. We've decided that we can't consider weight a deciding factor, especially if you compare the 1957 Ford retractable which comes in at 4400 lbs. The SSR is what GM intended it to be. A Super Sport Roadster Retractable.
Wow, can you come with me to the Missouri DMV and tell them it's not a truck? I'd like the cheaper plates.

I thought on the Chevy site that they classed it with the trucks?

·
Registered
256 Posts
HD-Fatboy said:
Wow, can you come with me to the Missouri DMV and tell them it's not a truck? I'd like the cheaper plates.

I thought on the Chevy site that they classed it with the trucks?
Just so you know the facts...the SSR does not require truck plates, at least not here in PA. My registration says Super Sport Roadster and my plates are car plates, not truck plates. Maybe different states have different requirements, but that wouldn't be fair, especially since the new window stickers don't say truck anymore, they say Super Sport Roadster. I would check into that, if I were you. My neighbor had an '03 and when he got it from the dealer it had a truck plate, but a few days later the dealer mailed him car plates.

·
Premium Member
9,316 Posts
Larry,

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

Most areas classify it as a truck, and it would be interesting in a claim situation whether the insurance company would go along with the car classification, especially if they felt the customer called it a car to get significantly lower insurance rates.

You definitely want it to be a truck for import purposes into Canada - it needs to meet truck standards, which are less stringent than car requirements.

It is built on a Trailblazer frame, with the Trailblazer suspension, and even the Trailblazer 4 wheel drive setup (on 03-04), and all the promo literature makes it very clear it was intended to emulate the 48-53 PICKUPS.

Installing a Corvette drivetrain doesn't change the roots. I don't think putting the Viper V10 engine in a Dodge pickup qualifies it to become a car.

Ray

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
FatherLarry said:
Just so you know the facts...the SSR does not require truck plates, at least not here in PA. My registration says Super Sport Roadster and my plates are car plates, not truck plates. Maybe different states have different requirements, but that wouldn't be fair, especially since the new window stickers don't say truck anymore, they say Super Sport Roadster. I would check into that, if I were you. My neighbor had an '03 and when he got it from the dealer it had a truck plate, but a few days later the dealer mailed him car plates.
More facts - It's a truck in Texas - required truck plates - just so you know

·
Registered
88 Posts
truck at one car show

Dragon2U and I met at the Wings and Wheels car show at Warner-Robins this weekend. We were both entered as "trucks" versus "cars". (BTW, he was runner up for stock truck in the 99-05 category with his very nice yellow SSR/red/silver pinstriping)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Don the DMV here in Jefferson City looked at the Statement of Origin(which stated that it is a roadster) and allowed me to put car plates on my 05.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Titled in PA

Larry -- My 04 SSR is titled in PA and it was classified a truck. Went to state police and was told it is a truck. Now do I go and advise them of other SSRs that are classified as a car and "screw" it up for those folks or keep quiet? Decisions, decisions, and decisions!!! :rolleyes: For 45$ more a year, I'm not worried about it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts