Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual says 30 to 36 psi, but someone here once said 30.

Is that the right tire preasue, 30?

·
Registered
178 Posts
dougnc said:
The manual says 30 to 36 psi, but someone here once said 30.

Is that the right tire preasue, 30?

I run 30 psi and have about 15000 miles on tires. Wear looks good and even across the tire. :thumbs

·
OP
8,226 Posts
30 psi

30 psi is what it says everywhere I read. JimG doesn't run air but instead nitrogen.
Hey JimG, tell everyone here why you run nitrogen in lieu of air...

B

·
0 Posts
tire press

ampmop said:
30 psi is what it says everywhere I read. JimG doesn't run air but instead nitrogen.
tire heat does not mess with the nitrogen as it does with the air,put 30 # pounds of air in cold tire then go drive it for 1/2 hr. and it'll come up alittle.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
beer100 said:
30 psi is what it says if you look in the door frame.

I run 30psi and I have 25Kmi on my tires. The rears are showing some signs of wear due to overinflation.

This is what my tires looked like after 40k miles. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
please elaborate

wildcat66 said:
Gee James are you trying to tell us something??? :rolleyes:

i'm not sure what you mean. my avatar perhaps? i need a second car to drive so this one can spend more time in the shop. ironically that is why i buy new cars, so i don't have to take them to the shop all the time. :flag

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The ride and handling package was developed at 30 psi. You need to use 36 psi when you have a heavy load.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
freezer said:
The ride and handling package was developed at 30 psi. You need to use 36 psi when you have a heavy load.

I would have never known this if Freezer had not told me :seeya

·
Premium Member
31,670 Posts
Just saw on "Trucks TV"...

ampmop said:
That guy Stacey on Trucks TV also just showed off his recent "Nitrogen" tank for filling tires. Not only does it not expand as much, but it has zero water vapor. That keeps the internal surface of your wheel from corroding, and therefore possibly causing leaks.

So, since the majority of us can't afford (nor have space) to put such a setup, where can we get our tires evacuated and refilled with nitrogen?

·
OP
8,226 Posts
ssr71 said:
That guy Stacey on Trucks TV also just showed off his recent "Nitrogen" tank for filling tires. Not only does it not expand as much, but it has zero water vapor. That keeps the internal surface of your wheel from corroding, and therefore possibly causing leaks.

So, since the majority of us can't afford (nor have space) to put such a setup, where can we get our tires evacuated and refilled with nitrogen?
Good Question, anyone know about a place in the Central Texas area, please list.

Also, in an emergency (travelling) in case you lose pressure of your nitrogen filled tire, can you use air (mixing the two) until nitrogen is available, which could be days or a week or more?

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
My experience with nitrogen has been impresive so far.

Yes, it is true that nitrogen expands a little less with heat than a normal mix of air does, it does not corrode alloy wheels from the inside like normal air mix does, and it is very pure compared to normal compressor air.

But what really got me was the other benefit: much slower diffusion through the tire and wheel (i.e. very slow "leakage" even when there is no puncture in the tire).

How slow? Well, I got my tires filled with nitrogen at Butler Tire in Atlanta on 4-27-05, with 7500 miles on the odometer.

It's now 8-09-05, 104 days and 6000 miles later, and guess what: Until just a few days ago, there was ZERO loss of pressure from ALL four tires.

Then, just a few days ago, 3 tires came up ientical to before, but 1 came in 2 psi lower. Since they had all been identical just 4 weeks ago, I assumed that sometimes in the last 4 weeks I had acquired a slow leak via a semi-sealed puncture.

I took it to a Goodyear tire dealer to FIND the cause of the pressure drop. After 30 minutes, the technician gave up. He literlaly could not detect a leak, and opined that if there was indeed a leak, it was either SO slow that normal testing could not find it, or the valve stem might have at one point leaked a bit but then resealed itself. He did not dismount the tire because that Goodyear dealer does NOT offer nitrogen fills, and he did not want to have me end up with 3 nitrogen filled tires and 1 air filled tire.

So, I am impressed.

It is ok to mix air into the nitrogen. Just realzie that you are affecting the properties a bit, and might not want to go roadracing :) until you get all 4 tire in nitrogen again. NO harm is done, other thanyou will now need a complete purge of that tire when you do find nitrogen.

I am told that there are some surprising sources for nitrogen. One is apaprently Walmart, at least at some of their auto repair locations.

The big attraciton for the retailers is lower liability. Since nitrogen leaks slower, and expands less, than a normal air mix, neglected tires will go longer before they cause a catastrophic crash which the stupid owner and his lawyer then try to pin on the last tire dealer who worked on the tires.

Check the yellow pages in your area, and start with Walmart.

Jim G

·
OP
8,226 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
My experience with nitrogen has been impresive so far.

Yes, it is true that nitrogen expands a little less with heat than a normal mix of air does, it does not corrode alloy wheels from the inside like normal air mix does, and it is very pure compared to normal compressor air.

But what really got me was the other benefit: much slower diffusion through the tire and wheel (i.e. very slow "leakage" even when there is no puncture in the tire).

How slow? Well, I got my tires filled with nitrogen at Butler Tire in Atlanta on 4-27-05, with 7500 miles on the odometer.

It's now 8-09-05, 104 days and 6000 miles later, and guess what: Until just a few days ago, there was ZERO loss of pressure from ALL four tires.

Then, just a few days ago, 3 tires came up ientical to before, but 1 came in 2 psi lower. Since they had all been identical just 4 weeks ago, I assumed that sometimes in the last 4 weeks I had acquired a slow leak via a semi-sealed puncture.

I took it to a Goodyear tire dealer to FIND the cause of the pressure drop. After 30 minutes, the technician gave up. He literlaly could not detect a leak, and opined that if there was indeed a leak, it was either SO slow that normal testing could not find it, or the valve stem might have at one point leaked a bit but then resealed itself. He did not dismount the tire because that Goodyear dealer does NOT offer nitrogen fills, and he did not want to have me end up with 3 nitrogen filled tires and 1 air filled tire.

So, I am impressed.

It is ok to mix air into the nitrogen. Just realzie that you are affecting the properties a bit, and might not want to go roadracing :) until you get all 4 tire in nitrogen again. NO harm is done, other thanyou will now need a complete purge of that tire when you do find nitrogen.

I am told that there are some surprising sources for nitrogen. One is apaprently Walmart, at least at some of their auto repair locations.

The big attraciton for the retailers is lower liability. Since nitrogen leaks slower, and expands less, than a normal air mix, neglected tires will go longer before they cause a catastrophic crash which the stupid owner and his lawyer then try to pin on the last tire dealer who worked on the tires.

Check the yellow pages in your area, and start with Walmart.

Jim G
I KNEW you would come through with some good information. Thanks.
Have you checked the Wal-Mart on 620 and lake creek blvd?
I'll try and drop by their this week. Let you know they do it.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I think Lloyd said he got his filled at Costco! Aircraft Maintence Shop fill aircraft tires with this so maybe you could get it filled there. If you know someone at an airport.

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
wildcat66 said:
I think Lloyd said he got his filled at Costco! Aircraft Maintence Shop fill aircraft tires with this so maybe you could get it filled there. If you know someone at an airport.
You are right, Machel. I got mine filled at Costco. They didn't actually evacuate all the air from the tires. They removed the valve core and let the air out, and then filled with Nitrogen. About a month later I picked up a nail and had to have the tire fixed, so I went back to Costco and they didn't want to refill the tire. The person I spoke to said they were not supposed to work on tires that weren't bought at Costco. He finally agreed to do it, but said that was the last time.

·
OP
8,226 Posts
wal-mart NO

Talked to wal-Mart, they said they do not do nitrogen in this part of the country, only in the colder climates.
Costco was no answer so, but based on the previous thread, it is probably a no go.
Called a good year dealer, they said no and only could advise contacting my servicing Chevy dealer to see if they could do the nitrogen.

So for Central Texas so far i have had no luck, I'll call the dealer and ask, but won't hold my breath.

·
OP
8,226 Posts
nitrogen website

http://www.nitrogendirect.com/
has some good Q & A

Maybe I should just buy a system and take care of all of us since I can't find anyone around here...Yeah, right $5k plus

1 - 20 of 20 Posts