Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I used to get some comments on my Z3. But it was usually from yuppies, or guys driving ricers.

But this guy in the biggest honking pickup I've ever seen gave me a thumbs up. WTF is a Ford 250? He sat up about as high as a semi driver.

Am I supposed to thump-up him back? Tell him what a nice truck he has? What's the protocol here?

:lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
dougnc said:
Well, I used to get some comments on my Z3. But it was usually from yuppies, or guys driving ricers.

But this guy in the biggest honking pickup I've ever seen gave me a thumbs up. WTF is a Ford 250? He sat up about as high as a semi driver.

Am I supposed to thump-up him back? Tell him what a nice truck he has? What's the protocol here?

Thumb him back! I've got a crew cab long bed 4x4 F350 that I use to tow my vette around with and I've given SSRs a thumbs up. Nothing wrong with showing appreciation for a cool car. :thumbs

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subdriver said:
Thumb him back! I've got a crew cab long bed 4x4 F350 that I use to tow my vette around with and I've given SSRs a thumbs up. Nothing wrong with showing appreciation for a cool car. :thumbs
F350? How high do those numbers go? I thought there were only Ford 150's?

This F250 was a lot bigger than a 150. With a F350, hell, you should be able to put the vette in the pickup bed!

·
Registered
442 Posts
higher than 350

Those numbers go a lot higher than 350. They base medium-duty trucks (450, 550, etc.) on the one ton 350. 150 is traditionally a heavy-duty "half-ton." S10, GMC 15, D100, CK1000, etc. all start with 1 and are called half-tons. 3/4 tons start with 2 and if a 5 is in there somewhere, as in 250 or 2500, it is a heavy-duty 3/4 ton. 3's are one tons and the five makes it a hd one ton. There is no protocol to sweat. Do whatever you want. It was simply a nice compliment. I happen to have a F250 V-10 being built right now. A bro-in-law hired back at Ford and I am getting a new 2005 XLT F250 on employee discount (actually about a $1100 savings) with 362 h.p. and 457 ft.lbs of torque, 6 speed, 4.30 posi, best radio, etc. for $23K OUT THE DOOR including 6% sales tax and $3K rebate. That is a lot of h.[. for $23K !!! I also have black 2002 (with the red factory flames) and black over silver 2003 F150 100th anniv. Harley Davidsons. One of these will definitely get sold or traded in when I find a good deal next winter on a two-tone black over silver 2006 SSR for spring delivery. Hopefully a relative will hire in a GM before then, but I have my GM Card building rebate.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Danko said:
Those numbers go a lot higher than 350. They base medium-duty trucks (450, 550, etc.) on the one ton 350. 150 is traditionally a heavy-duty "half-ton." S10, GMC 15, D100, CK1000, etc. all start with 1 and are called half-tons. 3/4 tons start with 2 and if a 5 is in there somewhere, as in 250 or 2500, it is a heavy-duty 3/4 ton. 3's are one tons and the five makes it a hd one ton. There is no protocol to sweat. Do whatever you want. It was simply a nice compliment. I happen to have a F250 V-10 being built right now. A bro-in-law hired back at Ford and I am getting a new 2005 XLT F250 on employee discount (actually about a $1100 savings) with 362 h.p. and 457 ft.lbs of torque, 6 speed, 4.30 posi, best radio, etc. for $23K OUT THE DOOR including 6% sales tax and $3K rebate. That is a lot of h.[. for $23K !!! I also have black 2002 (with the red factory flames) and black over silver 2003 F150 100th anniv. Harley Davidsons. One of these will definitely get sold or traded in when I find a good deal next winter on a two-tone black over silver 2006 SSR for spring delivery. Hopefully a relative will hire in a GM before then, but I have my GM Card building rebate.
Actually I don't think the 5 has anything to do with being heavy duty...

Ford has had two body style versions of the F250 for awhile. An F250 which had an F150 body, and an F250 Super Duty which was a completely different truck...

There is nothing at all heavy duty about an F150 or any 1/2 ton truck for that matter...

JMHO

·
TROUBLE MAKER
568 Posts
Thumbs Up ????

dougnc said:

Yeah, you should have gave him a thumbs up.... and then invited him over your place for a BEER!!!!
Are you trying to insult me again??? Some of us SSR Wine Drinkers also drive Ford pickups!!!!!

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,201 Posts
Either/or

You could give him thumbs :thumbs up or a wave :seeya .

Myself owning both type of vehicles (Cool SSR, and big honkin GMC's with 14" lift, 44": tires and eyelevel with the SEMI's), would wave at all the cool vehicles, big, small, or even two or three wheeled.

·
TROUBLE MAKER
568 Posts
Nothing wrong with Fords !!!!!

Broomer said:
Hey Dougnc,
Thump him all you want. He drives a Ford for crying out loud! :lol
There is nothing wrong with driving a Ford!!! All my vehicles are chevy's except for my Ford pickup and I must say, I love Chevy's , but my Ford is the most reliable vehicle I own.... No problems with the dealership I bought it from, and has not had to go into the shop once since I have owned it.
Hey, maybe I figured it out... It's just you BEER drinking SSR owners that don't like Fords!!!!
Us goodlooking Wine drinking SSR owners, are more opened minded and will try something before we knock it !!!! :)

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
Actually the guy was a TEXAS A&M Aggie and he was giving you the Gig'em sign. So, just Gig'em back.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Heavy Duty

RonC,
Thats not true. Chevrolet currently has both C1500 and K1500 which are half ton vehicles. Then we have the C and K 1500HD which is basically a half ton vehicle, with increased suspension, and built with a three quarter ton chassis. We also have Cand K 2500 and 2500HD, then the C and K 3500, but no HD models. Lastly, we have the 4500 model, whick is basically the old 2 1/2 ton truck for commercial application. (By the way, C stands for two wheel drive, K stands for four wheel drive.
Now class, there will be a test later :lol :lol
Mike :cool

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Danko said:
Interesting. I need to know this stuff now that I'm a pickup driver! :)

That's the problem, tho, with Chevy calling this vehicle an SSR. It tends to blend in with all the pickup acronyms, which those of us who weren't into pickups tend to screen out. I know I had a problem with that when I first tried hitting Chevy's website to figure out what that animated gif I saw on Yahoo was about.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An SSR's Wife said:
Yeah, you should have gave him a thumbs up.... and then invited him over your place for a BEER!!!!
Are you trying to insult me again??? Some of us SSR Wine Drinkers also drive Ford pickups!!!!!
Ah, but do you drive a beat up rusty F250 with four foot diameter tires and a suspension jacked up high enough for a small car to drive under?

:)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Watch Six said:
RonC,
Thats not true. Chevrolet currently has both C1500 and K1500 which are half ton vehicles. Then we have the C and K 1500HD which is basically a half ton vehicle, with increased suspension, and built with a three quarter ton chassis. We also have Cand K 2500 and 2500HD, then the C and K 3500, but no HD models. Lastly, we have the 4500 model, whick is basically the old 2 1/2 ton truck for commercial application. (By the way, C stands for two wheel drive, K stands for four wheel drive.
Now class, there will be a test later :lol :lol
So how does the 5 make it a heavy duty truck then? If there is a 2500 and then a 2500 HD.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Heavy Duty

RonC,
The 5 has nothing to do with it. There are Chevrolet trucks that are 1500, 1500HD, 2500, 2500HD, and 3500. The first are 1/2 ton, then 1/2 ton heavy duty, 3/4 ton, then 3/4 ton heavy duty, then 1 ton, but no 1 ton heavy duty. Our "little" truck is rated as a half ton, even though it does not have the 1500 designation. End of class.

RonC said:
So how does the 5 make it a heavy duty truck then? If there is a 2500 and then a 2500 HD.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
High numbers

dougnc said:
F350? How high do those numbers go? I thought there were only Ford 150's?

This F250 was a lot bigger than a 150. With a F350, hell, you should be able to put the vette in the pickup bed!

I have seen an F750. It was used to pull a NAVY High Speed Boat to and from a launch. When I was sitting in my Camaro all I could see were huge suspension parts, wheels, and the drive train... couldn't see the driver unless I was a block away!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Watch Six said:
RonC,
The 5 has nothing to do with it. There are Chevrolet trucks that are 1500, 1500HD, 2500, 2500HD, and 3500. The first are 1/2 ton, then 1/2 ton heavy duty, 3/4 ton, then 3/4 ton heavy duty, then 1 ton, but no 1 ton heavy duty. Our "little" truck is rated as a half ton, even though it does not have the 1500 designation. End of class.

Perhaps you should go back and re-read my first post. I was correcting someone else on the use of the 5...
No schooling needed here. :nono

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
International CXT

What to do if this guy pulls up alongside??? :rolleyes:

I kinda like this truck - being able to look down at the Hummers would be fun!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ultimate Truck for Extreme Work and Extreme Play

Onlookers have been known to gawk at its style and gasp at its size. At 21-feet long with tires hip-high and a 9-foot tall cab, it's the largest production pickup truck currently on the market. It's an International CXT—born out of the proven International 7000 severe service commercial work trucks used by professionals for the most rugged applications.

Equipped with the legendary International® DT 466 diesel engine, the CXT provides up to six tons of hauling power* while its air-ride cab and individual bucket seats offer an exceptionally smooth ride. A spacious and well-appointed interior, including luxury options such as leather, DVD and satellite radio, ensures automotive-like comfort and convenience.

You could say it's an extreme production pickup truck. Whatever you call it, the CXT leaves bystanders speechless. For drivers who want to make a statement, this is how to broadcast it. Size, power and flash brought together to create the ultimate truck for extreme work or play.

The result of more than a century of leadership in the truck market, the CXT is simply a vehicle unrivaled in capability, size and appearance and delivers performance in a big way.
http://www.internationaldelivers.com/site_layout/xtfamily/cxt.asp

Attachments

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
kwhopper89 said:
What to do if this guy pulls up alongside??? :rolleyes:

I kinda like this truck - being able to look down at the Hummers would be fun!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ultimate Truck for Extreme Work and Extreme Play

Onlookers have been known to gawk at its style and gasp at its size. At 21-feet long with tires hip-high and a 9-foot tall cab, it's the largest production pickup truck currently on the market. It's an International CXT—born out of the proven International 7000 severe service commercial work trucks used by professionals for the most rugged applications.

Equipped with the legendary International® DT 466 diesel engine, the CXT provides up to six tons of hauling power* while its air-ride cab and individual bucket seats offer an exceptionally smooth ride. A spacious and well-appointed interior, including luxury options such as leather, DVD and satellite radio, ensures automotive-like comfort and convenience.

You could say it's an extreme production pickup truck. Whatever you call it, the CXT leaves bystanders speechless. For drivers who want to make a statement, this is how to broadcast it. Size, power and flash brought together to create the ultimate truck for extreme work or play.

The result of more than a century of leadership in the truck market, the CXT is simply a vehicle unrivaled in capability, size and appearance and delivers performance in a big way.
http://www.internationaldelivers.com/site_layout/xtfamily/cxt.asp

We saw one of these on the road a few weeks back, we were in my Tahoe and it made me feel so small, That is one huge Truck......

·
Registered
192 Posts
An SSR's Wife said:
All my vehicles are chevy's except for my Ford pickup and I must say, I love Chevy's , but my Ford is the most reliable vehicle I own....
Pretty much the same feelings and experience here. My F350 has 35K miles in two years and only one stop to the dealer for a sticking emissions valve fixed under warranty with no issues.

But, I've had pretty good luck with the Vette which gets beat up and my wife's Chevy Trailblazer as well. Hers has been to the dealer about four or five times for PCM issues and mirrors moving independent of control. At least so she claims... :lol

The F250 and F350 are the same body and engine combos but the F350 has a heavier duty suspension and can carry more weight in the bed. I think mine can take something like 3500 lbs or so in the bed and pull 12,500. Great tow vehicle which is why I got it. :cheers:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts