Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was your first long drive in your SSR?

Our first long drive in our SSR started off to go out for a quick cup of coffee.
Grandma was staying over to help with our girls - so we decided to take the SSR out for a little spin.

We took off about 9:00 in the evening with the top down on a cool May evening in Corona, CA. When we got on the other side of the hills from our house it was downright chilly and we discovered the seat heater switches. We just kind of kept going south and before we knew it we were in downtown San Diego. Found a Starbucks, had a bunch of college kids go ooohh and ahh and then took off again.

My face hurt from smiling so much for so long.

3+ hours and 200+ miles later was a good sign we were having fun and hooked. Coffee anyone?

What was your first "real" drive like? (and I'm not talking golf?)

Lori
aka Mrs StepPrintng

·
Premium Member
9,353 Posts
Took a big gamble for the first ride. Flew from the left coast to Greensboro, NC to pick up an SSR sight unseen early May/04. He was an early Fanatic, and took delivery of his Nov 1/03. Conversations with the owner were excellent, and I felt pretty good about making the deal. The truck was in great condition.

Drove for 5 days, stopping at our boat factory in Knoxville, the Corvette museum, visited Vail, through Salt Lake City, and home from there. Left Monday morning, got home late Friday night.

Highlight of the trip was the large group of motorcycles (not the doctors and lawyers group) I passed along the way. I was a bit concerned, but got a lot of grins and thumbs up. I was cruising at 80+, but they caught up to me, and I had a group behind me, a group in front and more in the fast lane. Then I noticed the lady on the lead bike turned around, and took some pictures. Neat photo op and 80 mph.

Ray

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Headed North

I purchased my SSR in October of 2004. I decided to go and visit my mother who resides in Houghton Lake MI. I spent the 2.50 hr trip on the highway blasting the radio to my favorite CD's traveling with top down as it was a beautiful fall day.
I had wished the trip wouldn't end.

Stopped twice on the way....once at a gas station where I was overtaken by several gentlemen who wanted to know more about the SSR. And once to get food thru a dive thru and had a very satisfying conversation with not one but 5 employee's at the Taco Bell who were all amazed by the ride and hanging out of the drive thru window to see the SSR.

Before I new it I was pulling in my mother's driveway. She was so excited to see me and my new ride. She had the camera in hand. These were the first photo's of me and my SSR.

Not to say that I didn't enjoy my visit with my mother. I really did! But I was looking forward to the ride home:D

·
Registered
631 Posts
Wow!

Can't top Flassh - first one was just over 430 miles (one way), done in the Ultra Violet 04 in May. The drive was great, saw only one other SSR (not counting one on a Chevrolet dealer lot) and enjoyed ourselves immensely! Stunned, amazed and generated envy among friends and family. Trip was almost perfect (except for the funeral before we headed home). Best parts were the constant smiles, grins, thumbs up from almost everyone we passed (almost no-one passed us).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Picked her up April 17th at 4:30 p.m. from the dealer in Lakeland, GA. 9-10 hours later I pulled into Roanoke, VA. 750 miles straight shot to break her in. 750 back home to try her out! (2 days later). Left the next weekend (or the one after) to go to Nashville, TN for a week, then back home. I put 4k miles on her the first month...They really are made for the road!

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
I made several 500 mile round trips from L.A. to Fresno, CA right after I got my SSR in Dec. of 2003. My first "long" trip was my 3255 mile round trip in March of 2005 when my wife and I drove to San Antonio, TX to meet up with Machell (Wildcat66), John (Houtex) and James Conley. We had no problems and enjoyed the whole trip. Would love to do it again someday.

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
I took off from Jacksonville airport at 7 AM on a thursday morning. Landed in Buffalo NY around noon where the Chevy salesman picked me up. My red SSR was waiting for me on the lot when we arrived. Took care of all the paperwork and left on my journey home. Friday evening about 8PM I pulled into my driveway here in Florida. 1100 miles and lots of fun! BTW this was the first time I ever drove one.

·
Registered
904 Posts
In time and miles is when I race the SSR, 2 hours to the track, 5 hours of racing if I am good and 2 hours back, So that is about 9 hours without getting out of the truck, Also I would have to put in taking my wife to the store

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
Around July 4, 2003, we needed SSR evaluation miles. Approximately 15 pre-produciton SSRs were handed out to members of the team. There was only one requirement and that was everyone had to put at least 5000 miles on each vehicle during the following two weeks.
My wife and I drove from Michigan to Las Vegas and back. Others went farther. My wife had to learn all of the technical details so that I could have relief at the rest stops. I have never enjoyed a road trip more. After I retired in 2004, we took our SSR to Las Vegas and back in May going a different route. My wife is ready to do this again and we probably will.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
First long trip was to Lansing, and Woodward Dream Cruise. OF course, that is not counting driving anywhere in Texas. ITs such a gal-durn big state, its a road trip just going to the grocery store.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Even thourgh I haven't had the chance to put more than 60 miles on my SSR at one sitting (just got it in Nov.) I think this is a great question. Love my SSR and I've got about 260 miles on it so far. Just got it hand washed for the first time since it was purchased. Guys you should have seen the looks at the car wash. Took the remote off of the key ring to make sure the rear hatch did not get opened by mistake and then closed wrong. Keep up the great first long ride stories.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,611 Posts
Great First Rides indeed!

freezer said:
By the way, my avatar picture is at White Sands, NM from our second trip.
Hey Ed, that is a Super looking Avatar! :thumbs

BTW:When I first saw it I thought you were standing in a snow bank way up north somewhere.
:lol

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Focks said:
First long trip was to Lansing, and Woodward Dream Cruise. OF course, that is not counting driving anywhere in Texas. ITs such a gal-durn big state, its a road trip just going to the grocery store.
:lol :lol My first long trip was driving back from the dealer located about 50 miles south of Minneapolis, MN. I bought the SSR on September 13th and drove the 625 miles home on the 14th. I only saw one black SSR on the way home and it was going east. It originally had 811 miles when I picked it up and now has 5185 miles. :thumbs

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
My first long trip was when I drove from Dallas area to Siloam Springs, Ark. to pick her up. What a ride! I could not stop smiling.:)

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Long Trip

My first long trip was 2000 miles round trip to the CORSA convention in Portland OR. I had a bunch of CDs to play, my other car in tow, the slicks, jack, and all my other gear in the bed of the SSR (a perfect fit). The ouside temp for most of the trip was 100 to 110 so I was pleased to have the AC cranked up and the top up. No overheating until I was climbing the grapevine on my way home but that turned out to be a loose connection on one of the fan relays or wires.
The SSR drove like a champ I even came home with some additional hardware for the trophy shelf.:cool

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
Bought in Panama City Beach, FL last winter so I got to drive it home to NC. (485 miles)

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Long Trip

My first long trip was 2004 HOT ROD POWER TOUR. I left Houston Sat. morning and got back the following Sunday in time to go to work Monday. Put a total of 3200 miles in 8 days and am going to try to do that again in 2006.:smash

1 - 20 of 34 Posts