Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm considering getting an SSR, but, I can't find the right custom wheels. Has anyone used 18" wheels all around? Why oh why did Chevrolet go to 6 lug wheels?????

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Probably the main reason for the 6 lugs was because the frame and chassis parts were carried over from the Trail Blazer line up and it was built with 6 lug platform.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sure makes finding wheels difficult. Do people go to like all 18" instead of 19 and 20's?

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
:unsure:
I've not noticed anyone going with 18", might be some but trend is other way........larger wheels. Don't overlook the "stance" of the SSR. In stock form, it is kinda high in the back and the smaller front wheels can help to minimize that.

Depending upon the tire profile/sizes, you can get some decent "stance" without lowering the ride, but proper wheel/tire sizes along with some lowering can maximize looks/stance quite a bit.......;)

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Hey Farmboy WELCOME. There are some really cool wheels out there that work on these great trucks. Enter wheels in the search and see what come up. Then all it takes is money to make it happen. Personally, as stated above, I would stay with the 19 and 20s.
Don’t get in a hurry. The longer you’re on the site the more wheels and ideas appear. Everyone has their own ideas as to upgrades, personally I would visit Simple Engineering for performance upgrades first. But then I really like bling too!!

Also fill in your profile on the profile page, let us know where you farm and other things about you.

Agcat
John

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,783 Posts
There are all sorts of opinions on this subject...

Remember that you are starting with 19x8 front wheels and 20x10 rear wheels. Offset and width is critically important...... Getting the right wheels to fit the SSR and maintain the look and stance is much more complicated than you may think......

Good luck on your hunt,

Mike

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
3,859 Posts
@Farmboy, Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, WHEN YOU GET IT, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.
Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Nick & Kathy

·
Premium Member
5,091 Posts
CJ from Marshall, Utah has 18" on her Ultra Violet. Don't have picture of the truck but here is the wheel size.
IMG_20190511_194410961.jpg
IMG_20190511_194401812.jpg

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,183 Posts
SSR is a truck! Wheels and tires designed for SSR Truck which is now a Classic, so lets make it a V/W van, I don't thinks so.

Like Mike said you change vertical and horizontal center of gravity.

I suggest you buy a Trailblazer XL and make what you want.

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
I don't mind the 20 and 22 that some have put on. Also I have seen 20's all the way around off Trailblazer SS knock offs. There are certainly more options if there were 5 bolt.

I love the smoothies that a current member and past owner had. I never could find though. I have four sets of wheels, so I guess I really don't need anymore.

Dave

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,115 Posts
Being you are new I will try to fill you in. This has all been discussed a 100 times before. The sizing and offset is critical. Whatever you do don't let anyone talk you into wheel spacers for 5 lug. Unsafe and can cause damage if they come loose. You can get custom wheels made like Boyd Codington's but very expensive. You can have all your hubs changed over to 5 bolt but again very expensive. And for all the reasons discussed before and by others you cannot beat the Custom one of a kind Chrome wheels designed and installed from the factory for great looks and for safety and they don't rub and don't make the speedometer off. My 2 cents and we all know what that is worth.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,783 Posts
CJ from Marshall, Utah has 18" on her Ultra Violet. Don't have picture of the truck but here is the wheel size. View attachment 579560 View attachment 579562
Hey @SWT RYD

Those are on 18 x 8 wheels. It's all personal taste, but for me.....I think the rear of the SSR looks best with tires that are wider than the 8" that the 255 gives you. The factory tires are about 10" wide and some of us are running 315's, which are 12" wide....

I have to quote a long-time friend here....... there are two critical things for a ride...... Stance and Sound.....

my two cents.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,091 Posts
Not my preference. V, CJ's husband did a lot of research. Says it rides and drives really well. He also machined parts for air bags on all 4 with self adjusting.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
We went with 20’s all around. We purchased them from Discount Tire.

www.discounttire.com/customer-service/invoice-terms
Front 3 20X9 6-127
NRM XDS MAMMOTH

Front 2 245 /45 R20 103Y XL BSW
NRM CON EXTREME CONTACT DWS 06

2 20X9 6-127 NRM XDS
30 offset in front.
0 offset in rear.
1 extra 30 offset for spare.

Rear 2 275 /45 R20 110W XL BSW
NRM CON EXTREME CONTACT DWS 06

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,774 Posts
The biggest obstacle to finding custom wheels is the bolt pattern. The SSR/Trailblazer has 6x5" bolt circle which is smaller than the very popular full size Chevy truck bolt circle of 6x5.5".
There very few mfg's that still offer wheels that would fit in that pattern or you have to go with a full custom made wheel which run over $1000 ea.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The disadvantage of the factory SSR was that they were not supplied with a spare wheel, not even a jack, so the suggestions on of getting a Trail Blazer rim with a certain size tire to compensate the difference in wheel size and ride height should you have a puncture on the front or back was the option I took as I like the stance as it is with the original wheels .The only advantage that I can see from having the same size wheel on each corner apart from personnel taste is if you want to carry a spare you just get another rim and tire the same size .

·
Premium Member
9,267 Posts
I understand your desire for custom wheels. I was never a fan of the stock wheels.

The first link is to a thread that covers the basic information about the stock wheels and tires.

The second link is to a recent thread that was a very similar request for information. There are also a lot of other threads about wheels that you can locate with the search function.

When I had my custom wheels built, there were two critical requirements. First, it had to be a five spoke, in spite of the 6 bolt hub. No need to discuss the monumental stupidity of a 6 bolt hub for anything but a full size truck. Second, the design had to feature the difference in offset between the 8 inch fronts and 10 inch rears, something the factory wheels fail to do. Hope these threads help you make a decision. By the way, premium 19 and 20 inch billet wheels are expensive, but not as costly as others would have you believe. Mine were one-off wheels, less than 4 grand for the set. There are photos of mine on the thread below.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts