Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SSR
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GF springs have been in for 9 days and 225 miles.

Front fender is @ 29" to top of opening.

Rear fender is @ 29.5" to top of opening.

At this ride height the running boards are approximately and inch lower in the rear than the front, not a look I wanted to end up with.

Can I expect more drop in the front springs, to come with time and miles?

Would like a report of ride height from some of you that have more time and miles on GF springs.

If it is coming down I need to hold off on alignment, yes, no?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,356 Posts
Doesnt' seem to add up - were the Ground Force springs shorter than the stock front ones???

If so, it doesn't seem logical that the front would come up -

I had seen your earlier post, and am very curious - I ordered Eibach springs, and they should be in this week.

Several others have installed Ground Force - any comparable issues???

Ray

·
Registered
2005 SSR
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flassh

I did put the GF springs on the floor next to the stock springs before installing them. The GF springs were shorter, no problem.

I have gone under the SSR and checked to make sure something wasn't hung up. Everything is in place.

Thats why I'm asking for how long others took and where they settled at. I don't get it either.

·
Premium Member
9,356 Posts
Doesn't seem logical at all - if the springs were shorter, the front should have squatted down - others have taken before and after pics, and the front was down at least 1 inch.

Ray

B

·
0 Posts
Maybe you put the stock springs right back on the front. that would keep it up. I have been know to do something like that myself once in a blue moon. :lol :rolleyes: :thumbs :flag :seeya :leaving

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mine is the same

Front 28 1/2, rear 29 1/2. My springs are GF and I do not have running boards. From a visual standpoint, I like the lowered stance and do not note a front to rear elevation difference, although with running boards, this may be apparent. Have had them on for a week and about 200 miles.

·
Registered
2005 SSR
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stock springs are black and GF springs are blue.

Black ones in the box, blue ones on the SSR.

No, I don't think one could swap fronts and rears, just can't go there, even by mistake.

With older Chevy front springs cutting a coil equalled a 2" drop. I wonder if that would be the same here, if I cut a coil off the stock springs? That more than likely would be too much to align.

B

·
0 Posts
A Natural

Are you measuring from ground up to the wheel well flange in line with the center of the tire? If so mine is29 3/4" front and 30 1/8" rear. that is stock on my 05 SSr.
I have not even gave it a 2nd thought about lowerin mine. I like just as it sits. :thumbs :flag :ssr :seeya :leaving

·
Registered
2005 SSR
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, measuring from ground up through center of wheel to the flange of wheel opening in fender. Plus that is in the morning so that the tires are at 30 PSI each time I check it. Last check still the same, at 300 miles.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Guess what guys: The "stock" height varies from individual SSR to individual SSR!

I measured mine (04 SSR, completely stock height), from ground to lip of fender, centered above wheel hub, as:

Front: 28 3/4"

Rear: 31"

The guy at Butler Tire, who discussed lowering a bit with me as they do a lot of lowering projects, told me that individual vehicles are individually shimmed at the factories because slight variations in body mount points cause some vehicles to look slightly "tilted", and people's eyesiht detects that very easily. The shimming rsults in non-uniform "stock" heights.

He remakred that my SSR seems "lowered" to him as it came from the factory.

See photo.

Jim G

·
Registered
500 Posts
all sprung out

SA13355,

Iv'e had my GF springs on for about two months and 300 mi.
The front is 281/4" and rear 293/4.I just installed my running boards that I got with the truck and they go from 10" front to 10 1/4" rear.
I love the way she sits now,I had no problems with alingment and it does seem that the suspension has settled down some(lower) after some miles.The rear fender was about an inch and a half above the tire after install and now closer to an inch.

·
Registered
2005 SSR
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jim G

Thanks for the numbers and the photo.

My 04 looked the same in back as yours but higher in front. The rear came down in the first 50 miles. I have gotten a 1/4" more in the front to date with 310 miles. Hope it ends up level to the eye. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2005 SSR
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

You say the back is still high?

Would you take a look at the rear springs and tell me if the top 4 coils are tight or spaced on yours.

The back came down right away on mine and in my checking everything over again I did notice the top 4 coils on mine are stacked right on top of each other. the ride is in the larger spaced coils on the bottom. I would be interested in what yours are at this point.

Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
I installed the rear gf springs only. It brought the rear down to the same measurments as yours. It is almost level with running boards. I did not want the front down as it would still have had the same look just a inch or so all around. It turned out nice.
Russ

·
Registered
2005 SSR
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:seeya So, are there any more measurements :thumbs from any of you folks out there :party with the Ground Force spring set :ssr already installed?

:skep Looking forward to figuring out what I need to do here :willy: to end up with the cool :cool look I thought I paid for.

I'm starting to wonder if it isn't the springs themselves that are the issue. :confused

Thanks, everyone. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts