Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All
Just a check to see what gas mileage everyone is getting, note year,engine size, type of driving and average gas mileage MPG.
Here's mine:
2005 , 6.0, normal driving, 14.7 MPG.Tune by Joe at LC32.

·
Premium Member
6,466 Posts
Shak, must be the California air. My average was 17.5, 17.9. when I did all these mods with the new dual air filter and new throttle body is port and Polished and the new MagnaFlow Muffler I'm getting 20.3 -20.5 so I will see what Jeremy can do and we'll go from there good luck. 05 auto with Greg's Corvette servo.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,311 Posts
I checked mine last fill up and 04 auto with a heavy foot most of the time and I am getting 18 average city and highway.

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
Why do I have to keep telling you guys ... if you can afford one of these beautiful SSR's why even think about gas mileage. Fill'er up and enjoy the most unique American vehicle ever built. Right now I don't have much extra cash to fill'er up, so I put in 20 dollars worth or 25 and ride around town and have fun. I'm sure not gonna' let her set in the garage with an empty tank ... that's certainly not good for her. The only time I was ever concerned with gas mileage, was when I had a company car. I made sure I didn't have fun in it and drove it very conservatively. SSR stands for "Yes, it's fast, NO, you can't drive it !!! Havin' fun on Highway 41 and gettin' my Kicks on Route 66. tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why do I have to keep telling you guys ... if you can afford one of these beautiful SSR's why even think about gas mileage. Fill'er up and enjoy the most unique American vehicle ever built. Right now I don't have much extra cash to fill'er up, so I put in 20 dollars worth or 25 and ride around town and have fun. I'm sure not gonna' let her set in the garage with an empty tank ... that's certainly not good for her. The only time I was ever concerned with gas mileage, was when I had a company car. I made sure I didn't have fun in it and drove it very conservatively. SSR stands for "Yes, it's fast, NO, you can't drive it !!! Havin' fun on Highway 41 and gettin' my Kicks on Route 66. tennesseecozydog :ssr
I agree with everything you say, however with premium gas at $3.79 a gallon , I'd like to squeeze out a few more miles per gallon like say 17-18 or 20 would make a big difference.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,395 Posts

I agree. Couple things I did notice. When I first got mine I did check it a little and what I did notice was if you use the truck computer to check it it always read high in favor of terrific mileage. If I did it I would fill it and use the actual miles vs the gallons and figured it out manually and do that for about 5 tanks or so to figure the average in case I got more or less in at each fill up and was off a little. My method was always lower then the computer. I don't know if that is just the nature of the beast or if the computer is set up to lie so you think you are getting good gas mileage and fool the government. That was all when I first got it. I have done tons of go fast mods to it and I don't drive it in bad weather so it is not a daily driver. So I don't care about the MPG. I just drive it and drive it fairly hard. My system for mileage now is when it is full I drive it hard and enjoy it and when it is empty I fill it with the best highest octane gas I can find and add a little racing octane booster to it. Then drive and repeat. Never look at the price or the mileage any more. Wife has bad health so she had to sell her Harley so this way she can still be in the wind so to speak. Bought it as a fun ride so that is what we do. Enjoy!!!

Reactions: shakatak and TXNSSR

·
Premium Member
6,466 Posts
I keep track of my mileage for one thing ,performance. If I noticed that the gas mileage is going down then there's something wrong with the TOY, maybe it has a belly ache so I check it out and see why it's got a belly ache and then I fix it.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Before the Jeremy Tune I was getting 19.4 mpg. After the Jeremy Tune, I got 20.22 mpg.

Since I have larger than stock tires (Nexen), I am using a tire correction factor of 1.0396 to adjust mileage. Now that's really precise, however the real bug-a-boo is in the accuracy of the fillup. It's really hard to fill it up to the exact amount each and every time but I do the best I can.

On the trip from PA to TX for the International, I got 20.5 mpg.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its not all about the cost of gas, but whether the SSR is performing at it's best, does it need plugs, is it running rich, is the trans shifting at the right speeds, and a few more miles per gallon doesn't hurt.
My hot rod 69 SS El Camino gets about 7-8 miles per gallon and I'm OK with that as it runs like a scalded dog, much faster than the SSR and about 1,000 pounds lighter and is made to do one thing Go Fast.

·
Premium Member
3,719 Posts
4,800 mile trip

I checked our mileage from Nebraska to Canada to California and back to Nebraska. About 4,800 miles.

Actual mileage via Garmin and a full tank when I left and then when I got back. 19.7 mpg. It was mainly 91 octane with some 93.

I only got over 100 mph once on the trip that was along the Great Salt Lake in Utah and drove 65 - 70 a lot. The top was up 90% of the time with air conditioner on.

'05 with 4.56 and 6 spd. and Michelin SS's with 2.1 bar tire pressure cold. Tuned and with a ported and polished throttle body, KN filter and Erik's hood with functional scoop. New windshield and new '06 wipers.

For discussion purposes only.

Dave

·
Premium Member
9,765 Posts
Usally 19. Something..
Rarely break the 20 unless on a trip and then only maybe 21 when the average settles down.
I just gas it and drive, but fun to play with it just to know

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
Usally 19. Something..
Rarely break the 20 unless on a trip and then only maybe 21 when the average settles down.
I just gas it and drive, but fun to play with it just to know
I think Illinois with it's flat farmland you could fill her up, get on I-55 drive south to Springfield at no more than 50 MPH with a North wind at your back and probably get 22 to 24 MPG. I have gotten' 75 to 90 MPG on the 2016 Impala ... going down hill and that is according to the Instant MPG Gauge in the Dash :grin2: :grin2: :grin2: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
I haven't paid much attention. I usually look at miles to empty more than mpg on a road trip.
Made it from Maggie Valley to central Ohio last year non stop. Still had 20 miles according to driver information center. Might have been divorced and or had some serious seat cleaning if tired to go further.
I always think my SSR delivers excellent
SMILES PER GALLON!!

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,563 Posts
I have not reset my Avg since I bought it and it was reading 17.0 the last time I looked. I have been watching the Miles /tank on this trip and will do the total Miles / Total gallons when I get home. I am curious on this trip due to the trailer and the higher speeds. In the long run I suspect it will not change the overall MPG but I will be in the vicinity of 239,000 miles overall. Just went over 238,300 today.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,069 Posts
Over 6 years:
SSR calculated:
Avg MPG: 15.0
Min MPG: 10.5
Max MPG: 20.9

Calculated using gas filled and miles driven:
Avg MPG: 15.1
Min MPG: 12.7
Max MPG: 18.9

On longer road trips, if I'm being "really good": 18.3-18.5

Premium gas costs over the same period:
Avg $/G: 2.939
Min $/G: 1.699
Max $/G: 4.159​

- Robert
:silver:

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
I have a little different view....

6.0 liter
TVS-2300 Supercharger, 7 psi boost maximum
Stock exhaust manifolds
Balanced length “Old School” true duals
Automatic
Steel driveshaft
3.73 gears in the Eaton rear axle
Amazingly great tune by Joe Delano

I think that the Eaton axle and steel driveshaft is noteworthy, since I saw a drop of about 0.5mpg when it was installed. I feel this is due to the rotating mass change and parasitic drag of the Eaton over the Torsen axle.

Most of the driving I do is road trip kind of stuff...... Very little in-town stuff. My highway driving is usually with cruise control on at a setting about 5 over the posted speed. Trips get between 18 and 20mpg. You can pick it apart or lump it together....makes no nevermind to me. I’ve seen 21 on a tank of gas with cruise set at 75 a couple years ago. Nowadays, I see numbers about 19.1 to 19.4...... consistently on a tank.

Please understand that the gas mileage in a boosted application is primarily dependent on the operator’s right foot. For this reason, I usually have my DIC set on “instantaneous” mpg and not “average” mpg. It reminds me that I need to mind my manners...... I can actually see the result of slight changes in the road grade and the effects of head and tail winds. I can also see the extremely negative effects of letting my right foot become impulsive. It’s amazing how much fuel can be consumed in a short burst of “passing”....... For example....... Tired of pussy-footing behind a slow truck or motor home at 55mph will get a full throttle burst until it shifts to third. During the WOT in second gear, the instantaneous mpg numbers are someplace between 2 and 3mpg. This absolutely kills the average MPG......

Bottom line here....... It’s too much fun to worry about saving any money on a tank of gas....

My two cents,

Mikey

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
I haven't paid much attention. I usually look at miles to empty more than mpg on a road trip.
Made it from Maggie Valley to central Ohio last year non stop. Still had 20 miles according to driver information center. Might have been divorced and or had some serious seat cleaning if tired to go further.
I always think my SSR delivers excellent
SMILES PER GALLON!!
That's right Autoprof, since my :ssr is now an everyday driver, it's SMILES PER GALLON that really count. Do it this way ... Full tank (25 g's) drive 525 miles = 21 MPG, 500 miles = 20 MPG, 475 miles = 19 MPG, 450 miles = 18 MPG, 425 miles = 17 MPG and 400 miles = 16 MPG :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: tennesseecozydog "in town" 300 miles = 12 MPG :frown2: :frown2: :frown2: Hope my "Division" is correct. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
6.0 liter
TVS-2300 Supercharger, 7 psi boost maximum
Stock exhaust manifolds
Balanced length “Old School” true duals
Automatic
Steel driveshaft
3.73 gears in the Eaton rear axle
Amazingly great tune by Joe Delano

I think that the Eaton axle and steel driveshaft is noteworthy, since I saw a drop of about 0.5mpg when it was installed. I feel this is due to the rotating mass change and parasitic drag of the Eaton over the Torsen axle.

Most of the driving I do is road trip kind of stuff...... Very little in-town stuff. My highway driving is usually with cruise control on at a setting about 5 over the posted speed. Trips get between 18 and 20mpg. You can pick it apart or lump it together....makes no nevermind to me. I’ve seen 21 on a tank of gas with cruise set at 75 a couple years ago. Nowadays, I see numbers about 19.1 to 19.4...... consistently on a tank.

Please understand that the gas mileage in a boosted application is primarily dependent on the operator’s right foot. For this reason, I usually have my DIC set on “instantaneous” mpg and not “average” mpg. It reminds me that I need to mind my manners...... I can actually see the result of slight changes in the road grade and the effects of head and tail winds. I can also see the extremely negative effects of letting my right foot become impulsive. It’s amazing how much fuel can be consumed in a short burst of “passing”....... For example....... Tired of pussy-footing behind a slow truck or motor home at 55mph will get a full throttle burst until it shifts to third. During the WOT in second gear, the instantaneous mpg numbers are someplace between 2 and 3mpg. This absolutely kills the average MPG......

Bottom line here....... It’s too much fun to worry about saving any money on a tank of gas....

My two cents,

Mikey
"Bottom line here ... It's too much fun to worry about saving any money on a tank of gas ..." is absolutely the premier quote of the day Mike. tennesseecozydog :ssr

1 - 20 of 36 Posts