Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While replacing a relay in the relay box, in the RDM hydraulic compartment, in the roof storage compartment of the truck, a place we probably don't see very often I found this.:surprise: see image below

If I'm right and my truck is making gold, I'll soon have enough to pay for all the relays I've been buying.:party

It looks like it might be an amp for the speakers. It is creating gold dust. I cleaned it up, but I was just wondering why it is doing this and what it is and what it does.

I've only had the truck two years, so I can't speak to it's previous environment. The under carriage is very clean and little to no rust. It is now in my basement garage that stays between 55 and 75 degrees, with moderate humidity.
Humidity in the house is currently 41%, my guess is the garage would stay 50% in the winter and 65 or so in the summer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
The Item on the left of photo 1 is the Daytime Running Light diode assemble.
It reduces the headlight voltage about 10% when in the DRL mode.

The item in the center of photo 2 is the Roof Door Module

Tha amplifier you mentioned in below the RDM

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Item on the left of photo 1 is the Daytime Running Light diode assemble.
It reduces the headlight voltage about 10% when in the DRL mode.

The item in the center of photo 2 is the Roof Door Module

Tha amplifier you mentioned in below the RDM
Thanks. It was the DRL diode I was asking about. I wonder why it is shedding.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
There are 2 Diodes in the Heat sink. Each diode produces a 0.7 volt drop in the headlight circuit - Total voltage drop = 1.4 Volts.
The filler is a heat conductive material that transfers the diode heat to the heat sink housing for cooling.
A replacement DRL Diode assembly is about $50.00
I don't see a need for DRL lights - I disabled my DRL by pulling the DRL fuse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts