Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the front wheel bearings difficult to change? I'm no Mr. Goodwrench but am able to do some things. I changed the bearings on a ford mustang a few years back.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,174 Posts
I have not had them apart but they look like they are a sealed bearing and you unbolt the hub assembly and replace the complete hub assembly with a new one. Not like the old days of replacing the bearings and races.

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
Are the front wheel bearings difficult to change? I'm no Mr. Goodwrench but am able to do some things. I changed the bearings on a ford mustang a few years back.
You don't mention what year Mustang. I will assume that it was new enough to be a bearing and hub unit.
Process is similar however the hub and bearing on the SSR bolts in from the back side of the knuckle with three bolts. The Mustang probably had you remove the large outer center hub nut (tightened at over 200 lb ft).
After removing the mounting bolts the hub may need a little persuasion (hammer, pry bar) to separate from the steering knuckle. The caliper mounting plate bolts (not caliper bolts 31 lb ft) are a little tight (torque to 110 lb ft) so they may required some effort. I have also found on some GM's that the hub mounting bolts from the backside have a tendency to round off using a 13mm socket - if the 13 feels loose - force a 1/2 inch socket over the head of the bolt to prevent rounding off! (they are 77 lb ft). I have not done an SSR plenty of other GM though so I am not sure if this will be a similar possible problem.

Unlike the Mustang you also have to remove the ABS sensor from the hub and bearing assembly from the SSR before removal. (13 lb ft)

I would suggest that you purchase the Ultimate drive from Dinnerman for service information.
Instructions can be found here
https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f22/ultimate-drive-149170/

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,211 Posts
My question is why? Never heard anyone changing them on this Forum???

Reactions: nj6969

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
II find it interesting that on my ‘03 the front hubs are splined presumedly to accommodate 4 wheel drive from their Trailblazer heritage.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,174 Posts
My question is why? Never heard anyone changing them on this Forum???
While I have not had them apart yet, looking at the pictures of them they also have the antilock brake sensor in the hub assembly. I have had these corrode on other Chevy trucks and they can make the brakes act funny on slow speeds. The bearings are sealed and not like old bearings that you can repack as a maintenance item. They will go out from age and wear.

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
I've replaced both front hubs, it's not difficult if you're careful with the wires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts