Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,549 Posts
They look pretty original to me. The reproduction caps I have, have tiny springs attached to the circular wire that goes around the cap.

My wife says I've been wrong before so I'll leave it at that.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I have chrome rims. I was wondering if the wheel caps are oem or after market. here are two pictures of one cap front and back. thanks
I checked my OEM's that I have boxed up...they look the same..except your chrome center caps have more shine..:wink2:
vp

·
Slingshot Rules!
61,420 Posts
I have chrome rims. I was wondering if the wheel caps are oem or after market. here are two pictures of one cap front and back. thanks
My vote is with the previous posters, Dave . . . OEM.

Primarily due to the "imprint" of the BowTie on the interior side of your cap. Most, if not all of the after-market caps that I have seen are smooth on the inside.

! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: !

·
Ret. Air Force
3,646 Posts
Same as mine...I vote OEM

Edited:

I have a follow on question to OEM caps.
Is there any way to know which ones go on the front and which ones go on the back?
Say if you turned your vehicle over to a tire company to put on new tires on and didn't follow Dicktator's sage advice to remove the caps yourself!?!?

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,549 Posts

Edited:

Is there any way to know which ones go on the front and which ones go on the back?
Say if you turned your vehicle over to a tire company to put on new tires on and didn't follow Dicktator's sage advice to remove the caps yourself!?!?
What I would do if I had both hands amputated and really had to have the tire guys install them is put a 3" strip of masking tape across the cap and write in the biggest letters possible (before initial removal), its respective position: FRONT LEFT, FRONT RIGHT, REAR LEFT or REAR RIGHT. I'd like to add from "rear looking forward" but I don't think there would be enough room on the tape.

Preemptively, go ahead and order a set of aftermarket replacement caps off eBay.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts

Edited:

Rear cap embossed RR, as shown in post #1.
Front cap embossed with FRT

Edit, picture of front cap

Attachments

·
Premium Member
787 Posts

Edited:

To answer question, yes, they are different part #s and only one will line up with the wheel spokes. If you allow your OEM center caps to go to the tire shop, you get what you deserve IMHO. You've been warned...

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,770 Posts
look at the bottom of the tab in pic #1. right where it 90's off the cap, it is under cut. the aftermarket may have a 'flying buttress' from the cap up the tab. one is too weak, the other is too beefy. the beefy one may also have an aggressive mold line on the tab where it should slide into the wheel. that "step" may become a problem when installing the re pops. son't forget you have a 17 year old piece of plastic that has been being abused for over 130K miles already...... just say'n for a friend....

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
1,376 Posts
I just made labels for my center caps. Peel & Stick so the tech will know which cap goes on which rim.
Should I make the other side? Think it will catch on?
Maybe I should list them on Ebay?

Attachments

·
Ret. Air Force
3,646 Posts
Rear cap embossed RR, as shown in post #1.
Front cap embossed with FRT

Edit, picture of front cap
Thank you @Autoprof, this was the exact information I was hoping for. :wink2:

I turned my vehicle over to a company last year without removing my caps first and two of them have been loose ever since. Now I can go out and see if they are in the wrong positions.
:smile2:

·
Slingshot Rules!
61,420 Posts
Thank you @Autoprof, this was the exact information I was hoping for. :wink2:

I turned my vehicle over to a company last year without removing my caps first and two of them have been loose ever since. Now I can go out and see if they are in the wrong positions.
:smile2:
Loose caps, Alex? . . . sounds like time for a strip of "two sided tape" on a couple of flanges?

·
Ret. Air Force
3,646 Posts
Loose caps, Alex? . . . sounds like time for a strip of "two sided tape" on a couple of flanges?

Exactly Curt!! Good call my friend. :cheers
If after checking them reveals that they are in fact on the correct wheels!

·
Slingshot Rules!
61,420 Posts
Exactly Curt!! Good call my friend. :cheers
If after checking them reveals that they are in fact on the correct wheels!
A ton of "peach of mind" that takes less than ten minutes per wheel and costs next to nothing, Alex.

About a half inch strip of "two sided tape" over the top of two or three flanges per wheel and . . . VOILA.

·
Ret. Air Force
3,646 Posts
A ton of "peach of mind" that takes less than ten minutes per wheel and costs next to nothing, Alex.

About a half inch strip of "two sided tape" over the top of two or three flanges per wheel and . . . VOILA.

Any chance you have an old photo of the said tape over the top of the afore mentioned flange...just to make sure I'm doing it right!? :smile2:

·
Slingshot Rules!
61,420 Posts
Any chance you have an old photo of the said tape over the top of the afore mentioned flange...just to make sure I'm doing it right!? :smile2:
Sorry, Alex . . . no pictures. I don't even remember who trained me except it was many years ago. Probably at an SSR Tech Session in Phoenix. Since then I have actually fixed about a dozen SSRs.

Find a big, two inch wide roll of regular two sided tape and cut a strip about one half inch. Then peel it up one side of the flange, over the top and then down the other side. Repeat two or three more times and you are DONE.

Even with the "mechanical talents" of an IPA, I fixed all four of The Doophus's Center Caps ALL BY MYSELF.

·
My First Permagrin !
513 Posts
Hi @CruDawg , @DOOPHUS
When I did my tires I switched out to the aftermarket smooth caps . My originals had cracked ears on each one that I had previously fixed and did the double sided tape fix , so I opted too put them away . I forgot to take pics of the new caps but they are marked FRT and RR as best as I can remember . The new caps were very tight to go on , and didn’t spin at all on my road trip . Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
11 Participants
Jersey red
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing