Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spray-on wheel cleaners can get used up pretty quickly after just a few applications. Instead, Consumer Reports suggests using*Zep Industrial Purple Cleaner & Degreaser Concentrate, available at home centers for about $10 a gallon. (Dilute this cleaner before use.) I'm not advocating this, just curious what others think about it.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,068 Posts
All I use is TOP COAT F-11 on paint, tires, wheels, glass, chrome, rubber, vinyl, plastic, etc. One cleaner/polish does it all. Wash everything first then coat with TOP COAT F-11 and you are done and everything looks brand new. Works for me.

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
974 Posts
Be careful with the Purple Cleaner. It is POWERFUL! I used it once on an older Mustang to clean the valley where the trunk lid seal engages the trunk opening ... it took the paint off! DILUTE - DILUTE - DILUTE.
Cheers, Carl

·
Tech Support/Research
1,686 Posts
Some of the aggressive degreasers, and even the commercial wheel cleaners available in retail stores, when used on uncoated aluminum wheels, will stain them badly. They basically etch the metal, requiring a significant effort to restore back to a bright, polished finish. I've found that very few products are pH neutral (neither acidic or alkaline) that can be safely used on such wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Some of the aggressive degreasers, and even the commercial wheel cleaners available in retail stores, when used on uncoated aluminum wheels, will stain them badly. They basically etch the metal, requiring a significant effort to restore back to a bright, polished finish. I've found that very few products are pH neutral (neither acidic or alkaline) that can be safely used on such wheels.
Yes, you are so right. I used purple cleaner degreaser on bare aluminum rims last year. It almost ruined them. I ended up having to remove the rims from the vehicle and polish them with metal polish and a high speed buffer. It was back breaking work and took me almost 2 hours per wheel.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Cleaner

Have used this Just a $ Dollar... At the Dollar Store
Google It!!
LA’s Totally Awesome All-Purpose Cleaner, 20 oz

·
DFW TX Crew
1,438 Posts
You should not need serious acidic degreasers for something as basic as cleaning the rims. Maybe for undercarriage or engine grime build up yes.

Dawn soapy water should be enough to clean rims.

Too many people get in the bad habit of relying on harsh chemicals when it's just not needed.

Just my .02

Josh

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Your comments are reminding me of (as I recall) something called S-100 for Harleys to clean the wheels, motor, etc. Much like I believe some of the stuff you are talking about here, it must be used very carefully.

A buddy sprayed down his Harley a few years ago, and immediately after that , one of his neighbors stopped by to "chat"...........Some period of time went by before he got done "chatting" and was able to hose down the bike. Meantime, that S-100 did a number on some of his chrome and other metal parts.:surprise:

·
Premium Member
2006 Redline FPR 6 Speed
1,010 Posts
Have used this Just a $ Dollar... At the Dollar Store
Google It!!
LA’s Totally Awesome All-Purpose Cleaner, 20 oz
Dollar Store is it! I use Awesome Window Clean window cleaner that has vinegar in it, not harsh at all, spray on, wipe with high quality micro fiber cloth, wipe dry with another mf cloth and you are done. Takes minutes. The perfect window cleaner also. Really AWESOME for a $1!! NOTE: CAUTION: BEWARE: Regarding the Awesome product that is yellow in color, it will peel paint and clean almost anything not cleanable by other stuff. It is strong enough that if you breath it while spraying it in a close place it will take your breath. Super toxic stuff. BUUUUUT, I use it all the time, buy 8-10 bottles at a time, put a high quality sprayer on the larger refill bottle and go to it. Can be diluted, I never do. Cleans concrete, anything. Highly recommend both of these. Bill

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
wheel cleaners

:agree Be careful you don't love 'em to death.
Bruce is right, don't try to clean them too much, also don't try to save a dime, use professional quality automotive cleaner for the proper type wheel you have, aluminum, chrome, steel, painted

1 - 14 of 14 Posts