Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
SSR Believer
479 Posts
Wow! Never heard of that happening. Might have been a fluke. The chrome on mine on the innards was almost the same quality and definitely nearly as thick as on the face.

Anyhow, I still think it's worth it. I'd rather have ok quality chrome than that hideous gray primer type paint that gets stained...not to mention difficult to clean.

Watch out when the tire shops scratch the hell out of that gray paint when they pry off the old weights with a sharp screwdriver. Talk about ugly...

Hmmmm... might be worth trying in one or two spokes on a couple of wheels to start? Or, go big or go home?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
wheel finish

Wow! I learned something today. After polishing the chrome wheels on our new R I was wondering why the inner part of the spokes were painted. Thought it was a lousy chrome job or something.

So there's chrome under there? :surprise:

The photo of the "full-chrome" wheel looks pretty nice. I may just have to invest in some toxic chemicals! :grin2:

Thanks to all for the teaching moment. :smile2:
Being intrigued on this post, I just finished my first wheel. I had both aircraft stripper & lacquer thinner in the garage, so I decided to try the lacquer thinner first. Apparently the dull gray paint referred to is a lacquer because it came off fairly easy with the lacquer thinner. I found that by using a non scuff green pad helped the process. One wheel done in 20 minutes & big improvement.

"SJA"

·
SSR Believer
479 Posts
Being intrigued on this post, I just finished my first wheel. I had both aircraft stripper & lacquer thinner in the garage, so I decided to try the lacquer thinner first. Apparently the dull gray paint referred to is a lacquer because it came off fairly easy with the lacquer thinner. I found that by using a non scuff green pad helped the process. One wheel done in 20 minutes & big improvement.

"SJA"

Sweet!

Think I’ll give it a try, but I’m still just a little hesitant. Why did GM do this? It’s not like the chrome wheel was some kind of new technology. Was there a specific purpose? Is there some kind of long-term protection? Just corner cutting?

Then I’d hate to expose a less than quality chrome job.

Seems like a majority of folks here are quite happy with the results though.

So it sounds like lacquer thinner is the way to go. Less toxic that’s for sure.

Thanks SJA! Let us know how it goes with the other wheels and if you’re still happy with the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
This is the best paint remover I've used. It isn't environmentally friendly...which is why it works. I think it has methanol in it. It'll remove your skin if you let it.

I used to joke that it should be called "face remover" because if you sprayed an assailant in the face you'd stop them in their tracks and their face would melt off hahahaha. It's cheap and I got it at Wal-Mart. I've used it for decades. Not on people's faces, BTW.

[/QUOTE

How many cans of stripper did you use? Great work, Bill

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Becarful

I was told by a fellow SSR Fanatic that if I took a rag saturated with acetone that the grey will wipe off of my chrome rims and I could have all chrome rims. I tried it on a small area, and he was correct. I thought that by the time that I got the grey off of all four rims I would be too old to drive.
I removed the UGLY GRAY paint that covered the inside of my "Silver Satin" OEM wheels. I used "Aircraft Aluminum paint stripper. This is NOT a wipe on wipe off process. It took several applications to remove ALL the factory gray paint. After removing the paint the back side of my rims was NOT smooth aluminum finish. These rims were machined and there are groves on the entire inner rim. I was able to machine buff to a bright finish BUT this took time and patience. Sorry don't have any photos.

Wishing you the ALL the best on your project. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I got Klean Strip at Home Depot.

It is a spray on bottle (attached) not aerosol.

$45 dollars for a gallon.

I have done 2 back wheels and 1 front, I think that I used almost half of it.

It works great, but it does take several applications to get all of the paint in the nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I didn't use Aircraft stripper. I've never found it to be as effective.

With the brush-on KleenStrip you have to make sure to not break open the "membrane" that it forms or it will stop working. If you brush over an area you have just applied you can reduce the effectiveness.

That's why I used the aerosol version. I just used 3 cans. I sprayed it on heavily and didn't disturb it while it did its work. After about 20 minutes I hosed them with high pressure and all the gray lifted right off. No scrubbing or handwork. You just have to let the stripper properly do its job.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
17 Participants
TheXCepsion
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing