Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 aqua blurr
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody still use wheel locks or does it matter they're gone in 60 seconds no matter what you have on it? ?

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Is anybody still use wheel locks or does it matter they're gone in 60 seconds no matter what you have on it? ?
:|

That's an interesting question to pose. Ironically, I had "locks" on all four of my streetrod wheels, but you had to have a special wrench to even pop off the center hub. Extremely unlikely anyone would have that special wrench and without it, would be very difficult to get the center cap off.

Fast forward to SSRs, I'm thinkin' maybe not.......to worry about wheel locks. I'd be more worried that some ahole would extract my center caps which I've found out to be worth more than I knew before.:frown2:

Given the limited market for 6 lug wheels and tires that typically go on an SSR, it would seem to me to be fairly difficult for some ahole to "market" a set of stolen wheels/tires from an SSR...........cause they wouldn't fit too many other applications.:wink2:

·
SSR Pit Crew
2,230 Posts
Be careful what you order. I bought a set of wheel lug nuts/locks called (I believe) Gorilla Locks off Amazon. The ad stated it fit SSR's but they were too long not allowing the center cap to fit. The vendor was good about it, refunded my money and told me to just keep the locks.

Dave

·
Slingshot Rules!
77,382 Posts
Who needs those buggers?

Another "big positive" for Slingshot Yellow Wheels.

! :banana ! :cheers ! :banana ! :cheers ! :banana !

·
SSR Pit Crew
2,230 Posts
After giving it some thought Curt, I think I should probably be more worried about the center caps disappearing rather than the wheels themselves.

Dave

·
Slingshot Rules!
77,382 Posts
After giving it some thought Curt, I think I should probably be more worried about the center caps disappearing rather than the wheels themselves.

Dave
GREAT POINT, Dave . . .

Especially after seeing how much those little buggers are selling for on here and eBay.

! :cry ! >:) ! :cry ! >:) ! :cry !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hidden aftermarket kill switch!

The only thing that stops criminals is throwing them for a loop.

Someone can see a wheel lock and then come back with the tools they need.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Hidden aftermarket kill switch!

The only thing that stops criminals is throwing them for a loop.

Someone can see a wheel lock and then come back with the tools they need.
:surprise:

I'm thinkin' you do NOT understand the (drift) of this posting...........or maybe I don't.:|

Wheel Locks have all to do with NOT getting your expensive wheels/tires stolen while at the same time (obviously) leaving the truck on the scene without any wheels/tires to go anywhere.

WTF is a (aftermarket kill switch) gonna do to stop someone from stealing your wheels/tires.

................Can't wait to understand the logic.:laugh:

·
John and Suzie
390 Posts
So I put the wheel locks on a couple of years ago. A month ago I had some work done at my local custom shop and when he went to take off the locks the lock tool broke (Cracked).

I can only imagine being on the side of the road and this happening to me (yes I have roadside assistance).

He had to weld a nut on the locks to get them off. I no longer use wheel locks.

So just beware and be warned.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
So I put the wheel locks on a couple of years ago. A month ago I had some work done at my local custom shop and when he went to take off the locks the lock tool broke (Cracked).

I can only imagine being on the side of the road and this happening to me (yes I have roadside assistance).

:|
Not sure what brand/kind of lock set you had. Used mine for around 20 years, the lock on the rear wheels was different than the lock for the front wheels. I carried those two locks on a beaded chain along with the center hub removal tool for my billet wheels. Had to use them many, many times for new tire swaps and/or battery swaps which required removal of my right front tire to access the battery. Never had any problems with the locks.............Oh, notice I didn't mention using them due to a flat tire. The front/rear wheels on my rod were different sizes all together. No way to carry a spare..............Never needed one in all those years from Florida to New York and out multiple times to Pigeon Forge, Tenn. for (Shades of the Past) Streetrod shows.

Thus............never been concerned with a "spare" for the SSR.:wink2:

and yes.........it could happen:crying:

·
Daily Driver
8,976 Posts
It sure does, but the point is if you do have a flat you're screwed. Members have discovered it cost them a lot of money and sometimes several days to get home when it had to be towed a lot of miles into a town where they had to order any tire that would fit.
Your choice, I prefer not to risk the delay or expense.

·
Premium Member
2005 aqua blurr
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate the thought on the kill switch it's a good idea to keep them from driving away . But I still wouldnt want them walking away with $1,000 Wheel and Tire
Would appreciate any more thoughts on kill switches also, do you kill battery power or fuel pump power what's the best way to go about that

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
It sure does, but the point is if you do have a flat you're screwed. Members have discovered it cost them a lot of money and sometimes several days to get home when it had to be towed a lot of miles into a town where they had to order any tire that would fit.
Your choice, I prefer not to risk the delay or expense.
:smile2:
Yup, I get the point. If a flat occurred, I for sure would have to deal with the delay factor, but I've got the premium AAA coverage that if need be would handle the towing part.:|

·
Registered
3 Posts
:surprise:

I'm thinkin' you do NOT understand the (drift) of this posting...........or maybe I don't.:|

Wheel Locks have all to do with NOT getting your expensive wheels/tires stolen while at the same time (obviously) leaving the truck on the scene without any wheels/tires to go anywhere.

WTF is a (aftermarket kill switch) gonna do to stop someone from stealing your wheels/tires.

................Can't wait to understand the logic.:laugh:
:laugh:
My bad.

Thought we were talking about a steering wheel lock.

Spaced out a bit on that because I had just been with a friend that had their steering wheel lock broken off their car.

The thief didn't get the car, but the security was defeated.

Tunnel vision on after reading the OP's first comment.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,293 Posts

Beware that most wheel lock "keys" that fit to an inside pattern on the locks are hardened steel. Using an impact gun WILL break the keys. Always remove with hand tools and reinstall using hand torque wrench, not a torque stick with an impact gun.
I too worry more about center caps. Mine are now aftermarket with gold bow tie stickers.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,804 Posts
:smile2:
Yup, I get the point. If a flat occurred, I for sure would have to deal with the delay factor, but I've got the premium AAA coverage that if need be would handle the towing part.:|
I have used my Spare tire once, to get home from Seattle, when I had one flat that could not be repaired an the tire had to be ordered from LA and would take 3 days. Drove home in three days and had the tire waiting for me at my Firestone dealer in Pasadena. The AAA premium towing is only good for 200 miles and I used that when I blew a coolant cap half way home from San Diego on a Sunday afternoon. Both AAA and Mikes Spare tire kit are relatively inexpensive insurance if you travel like I do.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Used to.

I somehow lost the tool twice. Now I don't use the locks.

I have switched to aftermarket center caps on each set also. Except for the blacks that have OEM satins painted black.

Dave

·
Premium Member
32,037 Posts
Depending on the locks, they could end up being totally useless. The original owner of my Impala had bought wheel locks - and back in the 90's it made sense. The tool was in the glove box the entire time, but I'm guessing the shop just used a socket that fit tightly over the security lugs and just zipped them off. When I got the car back, the locking nuts were all in the car and they had installed standard lug nuts in their place. One of them had obvious signs of damage where the tool couldn't fit over it any more.

So, point of the story - locking nuts or not - if there's a way to get 'em off, the thieves know it and will do it.

And the Impala center caps are going for over $100 each if you can find them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts