Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to have to replace my Rims soon-ish, I have a lot of corrosion on the bead seat and was tole by a refurbisher to replace them sooner than later. He told me the rot was to deep in the aluminum to fix.

So with that in mind I wanted to ask what other people have done to try and keep to the style of the truck, I have the Chrome wheels and would like to go back with a Chrome option.

I am not opposed to changing to a different wheel but I want to stick to something with round contours to look right with the truck.

The best I could find so far were American Wheel's Torq Thrust line http://www.americanracing.com/wheels.cfm?id=4604

The problem is they are all 5 lug not 6.

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,002 Posts
I am going to have to replace my Rims soon-ish, I have a lot of corrosion on the bead seat and was tole by a refurbisher to replace them sooner than later. He told me the rot was to deep in the aluminum to fix.

So with that in mind I wanted to ask what other people have done to try and keep to the style of the truck, I have the Chrome wheels and would like to go back with a Chrome option.

I am not opposed to changing to a different wheel but I want to stick to something with round contours to look right with the truck.

The best I could find so far were American Wheel's Torq Thrust line http://www.americanracing.com/wheels.cfm?id=4604

While Torq Thrust does not have any matching wheels, you can find 6-lug rims on that site. The AR Forged VF513 series from American Racing look pretty good. That site also has a configurator that puts those wheels on your make/model vehicle ... yes, they have an SSR template. see attached image:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Those really look good Carl, especially on that Ricochet Silver one. It's amazing how much Chrome Rims improve the look of one's SSR.

tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
Yes, look good, but $4500 is a little spendy when you consider the environment a wheel lives in.
I mean wheels/tires are the front line troops. They're the trench grunts, slugging it out with D.O.T.'s inability to maintain roads because some politician needs that money to send his/her kids to Harvard, and money to keep their mistress/boy-toy quiet.

Do I sound bitter, jaded, disgusted? I am, but top down on a nice day/night makes everything better. :lol

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts
Is the damage structural or just close to loosing air? Salt from driving in winter months gets into the crack between the tire and rim and eats away the metal. You pretty much have to wash the wheels weekly during the winter driving days to keep the salt from damaging them. It might not be a bad idea to coat your next set of wheels with something to help protect them.

Many people that drive in winter months have found good repair results with Xtra Bead Sealer. It coats the wheel and stops leaks at the tire bead area, might be a good solution to use to protect the area from damage as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Xtra-14-101-Seal-Bead-Sealer/dp/B000GKD722

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Yes, look good, but $4500 is a little spendy when you consider the environment a wheel lives in.
I mean wheels/tires are the front line troops. They're the trench grunts, slugging it out with D.O.T.'s inability to maintain roads because some politician needs that money to send his/her kids to Harvard, and money to keep their mistress/boy-toy quiet.

Do I sound bitter, jaded, disgusted? I am, but top down on a nice day/night makes everything better. :lol
NO !!! you're NOT bitter, jaded, disgusted ... JUST TRUTHFUL :| :smile2: :| 10 uh C cozydog :ssr

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,202 Posts

First of all I think I would get a second opinion. Never heard of wheel rot. Corrosion around the bead can usually be cleaned off with a wire wheel etc. at a good tire shop. If all else fails get a set of original chrome SSR wheels to replace yours. They are available from several sources. Look the best and are 6 lug and don't have to mess with wheel adapters etc. Like I said my 2 cents and we all know what that is worth.

Reactions: SSReplay

·
Premium Member
6,133 Posts
The corrosion may have come from Fix a Flat. I've seen that eat up Aluminum. Firetruck has Torque Thrust 5 lugs on his R. Sure do look good. A lot of of work involved to change spindles and axles. Good luck.

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
Yeah, I've got a brand new pair of 5 lug axles and 5 lug front hubs for a plan that got derailed. :redface:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts