Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it took over two years, but I knew it was only a matter of time. The lanes at the bank are so narrow and I was soooo careful, but had to cut a bit to the right and the right rear tweaked the curb. About a 3 inch scrape gouge. Uggghhhh.....How many of you have kissed the curb with a wheel out there?:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Just slightly but not really visible. But I know it's there.

:banghead :banghead :smash :smash :banghead :banghead​

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought my SSR used and all of the wheels had small scrapes. I am glad to say that all four of my wheels have been reconditioned and they look great!!!

The body shop that painted my flames had them all sent off for me. If you need a source, I could get the name of the company from them with a price. I think they will even chrome your existing wheels....

·
Just a voyeur now...
154 Posts
Fessin' up

I have a couple of wheels with those curb scrapes. I also picked mine up in a narrow drive-thru lane, soon after I got the SSR.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Bluish said:
I have a couple of wheels with those curb scrapes. I also picked mine up in a narrow drive-thru lane, soon after I got the SSR.
ME TOO!:banghead

·
Premium Member
2,668 Posts
my '04 had several from the bank, but so far i've been lucky with my '06 - keeping my fingers crossed and curbs in sight!

·
Registered
631 Posts
At the bank?

wildcat66 said:
I have done it at a bank also!!!
:skep Another myth de-bunked! I heard that SSR owners are like me - after you buy an SSR, there's no need to go the bank ever again, 'cause there's nothing there for you! :eek

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have mentioned here and other forums that wider tires are the answer to preventing rt rr wheel damage. Here it happens mostly on rt turns or parking at a curb but not to my vehicles because I immediately upsize the rear tires. Tires are SO much cheaper than wheels.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I caught a scrape about 3 months ago from a curb I thought I'd cleared. It wasn't too bad, but it left it's mark:banghead . Fortunetly or unfortunetly, depending on how you look at it, a guy I knew totalled his SSR on the highway. Crunched the front end up pretty bad. All the rims but one was damaged, so I was in luck that the undamaged one was a rear rim/wheel like mine. So I got it cheap off of him

·
Registered
442 Posts
....and will you now consider a larger/wider/taller rear tire so you do not have to buy another wheel? I had two F150 HarleyDavidsons with 20" chrome wheels and took off the 275/45 x 20's and put on 305/50 x 20's and they looked and rode better and protected the wheels from my daughters' (two) driving. They also caused my speedo to underread which gave me a bit more factory warranty and also because they were taller, I was always going downhill and got better mileage. ;0)

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
At the Bank

Blueeyes maybe SSR owners are going back to the bank and try to get a loan, for food or gas. Scrape my RR rim second week of ownership that was over two year ago, so far have not done it again.:leaving

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
yea I'm he..

...hard on wheels. I scraped 3 of the stockers, had'm all fixed during the summer while the smoothies were on, stuck'm back on for the snow and scraped the last one:banghead
I don't scrape the boyd's, I bend'm:eek
hopefully I'll have better luck from now on:flag

Attachments

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
I kissed a curb - slightly - coming home from a Napa run over a year ago. I found a set of stock wheels here on fanatic for $550 shipped. I still haven't changed out the injured rim - it is hardly noticable... But I do have spares...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
164 Posts
YEP... I resemble that remark...

I've had both rear and front left scraped:banghead , but got them refinished:) ... Used a company in Dallas called Wheel Technologies "www.wheeltechnologies.com/". Their toll free number is 800-210-2371. I had the Firestone dealer I use close to home here send the wheel off for repair. Took 48 hours to get them back. They do a great job. The Firestone dealer charged $135 each wheel, so not too awfully cheap, but well worth it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
cruzned said:
Well, it took over two years, but I knew it was only a matter of time. The lanes at the bank are so narrow and I was soooo careful, but had to cut a bit to the right and the right rear tweaked the curb. About a 3 inch scrape gouge. Uggghhhh.....How many of you have kissed the curb with a wheel out there?:rolleyes:
Hey Ed.....I can't believe it! I did the same thing just last week! What a sickening sound as I pulled away from the ATM! Said a few choice words, got out and looked at the damage and kicked the curb! They make them way too high! Now I am saving for replacement wheels! Sure does hurt the soul when someting like this happens!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Curb horror

After having similar problems with other cars I really dont want to damage the pretty rims on my SSR.

When in doubt I just aim to drive up the curb nice and square and park on the damn thing - none of this trying to slot in the too narrow lanes!

Drive thru' banks? Now theres a thing. Dont have them over here in UK. In fact we pretty much dont have banks these days. Everything is electronic and card based - last time I drew cash must have been back in December!!

But I agree with Danko - over wide tyres do do a better job of saving the wheels - worked on my pontiac but actually getting them over here in Uk is a pain.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts