Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone here done quality(wheel centric/hub centric) wheel spacers yet. I think that it would improve the appearance from the rear to bring the back tires out flush with the fenders. Wider wheels with different offsets would of course look good also, but not too many choices available and expensive. A good set of spacers would be under 200 bucks.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Has anyone here done quality(wheel centric/hub centric) wheel spacers yet. I think that it would improve the appearance from the rear to bring the back tires out flush with the fenders. Wider wheels with different offsets would of course look good also, but not too many choices available and expensive. A good set of spacers would be under 200 bucks.
If you're looking for a reputable brand wheel spacers, BONOSS is the way to go,hub-centric, forged 6061-T6 and 7075-T6 aluminum alloy. They're very well built and will hold up well. I bought a set used 3 years ago and they're still perfect.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
5,608 Posts
I've seen a couple of trucks at the International Rally at Branson that had spacers that gave them a wider stance. They really looked fantastic! I think they also had 20 or 22" wheels. Wish I could remember their names... 😎

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
If you're looking for a reputable brand wheel spacers, BONOSS is the way to go,hub-centric, forged 6061-T6 and 7075-T6 aluminum alloy. They're very well built and will hold up well. I bought a set used 3 years ago and they're still perfect.
:unsure:
Yeah, I see this is a take off on an old posting.

But it peaked my curiosity as to (what's the point) and/or why???

Not for sure, but I believe I selected the tire sizes I ended up going with from Mike at Simple Engineering as a recommendation. Anyway, my rear tires are 315/35 ZR20 Continental tires and I am quite happy with them.

I happen to be a proud owner of a 4 foot steel ruler that has a bubble level included in it. Just now, I went out to the garage and placed the 4 foot ruler against the top middle edge of fender opening until the bubble showed level. Then I took another ruler and from the fattest bulge part of upper tire, I measured the gap. It seems that maybe my rear diff is slightly off center..........the results were a gap of 1 1/4" on the right hand side and a gap of 7/8" on the left hand side.

Let me add that below the seam on the rear facia that wraps around to the fender well........Those tires protrude beyond the fender opening. Anytime a tire spins outside of the protection of the fender well, you're subject to the "sanding" of the paint behind the wheel well.

Given those facts and the protrusion of my own set of tires/wheels, I'm hard pressed to see ANY reasonable need for such wheel spacers.;)

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
1,194 Posts
:unsure:
Yeah, I see this is a take off on an old posting.

But it peaked my curiosity as to (what's the point) and/or why???

Not for sure, but I believe I selected the tire sizes I ended up going with from Mike at Simple Engineering as a recommendation. Anyway, my rear tires are 315/35 ZR20 Continental tires and I am quite happy with them.

I happen to be a proud owner of a 4 foot steel ruler that has a bubble level included in it. Just now, I went out to the garage and placed the 4 foot ruler against the top middle edge of fender opening until the bubble showed level. Then I took another ruler and from the fattest bulge part of upper tire, I measured the gap. It seems that maybe my rear diff is slightly off center..........the results were a gap of 1 1/4" on the right hand side and a gap of 7/8" on the left hand side.

Let me add that below the seam on the rear facia that wraps around to the fender well........Those tires protrude beyond the fender opening. Anytime a tire spins outside of the protection of the fender well, you're subject to the "sanding" of the paint behind the wheel well.

Given those facts and the protrusion of my own set of tires/wheels, I'm hard pressed to see ANY reasonable need for such wheel spacers.;)
I am in total agreement with you moscooter about spacers. As an addendum I had conversationed with @Mike in AZ about the offset of the rear axle when I was going to lower my truck because since the Panhard rod swings in an arc the fender clearance will vary with the rear ride height. I was concerned that since I had 315/35R20 rear tires there might at some point be contact, but he assured me he had never heard that to be the case. The perfect solution would be an adjustable Panhard and I know some members have installed them to center the axle at nominal ride height. I have always wondered if anyone had tried a 335/30or35R20 on an 11"or12" by 20 wheel on the back of one of our trucks and if that setup would fit without fender interference with the appropriate wheel offset.:unsure:

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,589 Posts
Is anyone using adjustable panhard bars?
Yes, on both our Rs. If you lower it, the rear will be shifted about 3/8”. Using an adjustable panhard, allowed me to re-center the rear ends. Added bonus, the panhard has urethane bushings which helps stop the rock to the side when entering a turn.

·
Premium Member
9,506 Posts
What is your source of the bars?
Check with Mike at Simple Engineering for his recommendation. I know Spohn had a bar that fit the SSR and Trailblazer SS - no idea if it is still available.

I purchased mine from Joe Delano at Left Coast 32 about 4 years ago. I don't know if he still has it available. It was a nice product - all polished stainless steel.

·
Premium Member
May 2017 ROTM 2005 Redline Red .
7,559 Posts
Just added Panhard and rear upper and lower control arms from Spohn (check out their site) and as TXNSSR said they really settle the rear end, nice and stable around turns.
Pretty good bang for your buck as far as mods go.

Reactions: TXNSSR

·
Premium Member
3,385 Posts
Just added Panhard and rear upper and lower control arms from Spohn (check out their site) and as TXNSSR said they really settle the rear end, nice and stable around turns.
Pretty good bang for your buck as far as mods go.
(y)
That likely explains why my clearances are different from side to side. My ride was lowered when I got it. Still now only have around 35K miles. Don't think my bushing are likely worn out yet but will check them soon and go with the replacement control arms and adjustability when I do.
Meantime, mine tracks A-OK, no notice of any sway in turns, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.