Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know the proper torque setting for the satin wheels. Had to remove wheel covers because they were spinning. Already lost one on the way home from delivery. Found 1 lug loose enought for me to twist by hand.

This is a dealer problem since he had all wheels off when he swaped chrome for satin wheels. New center cap on order.

Time to check them all !!!! Checked the owners manual and came up empty.

Guess I pop the wheel covers on the other one and check there too. Last thing we need if for a wheel to come loose.

Any help, as always, would be appreciated.

Marc

·
Registered
286 Posts
SCARY. Shop manual says 140 lb-ft. That seems like an awful lot. I've had my rear wheels off a couple times and torqed to 80 w/o checking the manual. I guess I'll go higher next time.

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
bcbear10 said:
Does anyone know the proper torque setting for the satin wheels. Had to remove wheel covers because they were spinning. Already lost one on the way home from delivery. Found 1 lug loose enought for me to twist by hand.

This is a dealer problem since he had all wheels off when he swaped chrome for satin wheels. New center cap on order.

Time to check them all !!!! Checked the owners manual and came up empty.

Guess I pop the wheel covers on the other one and check there too. Last thing we need if for a wheel to come loose.

Marc
Right out of 2006 Owners Manual page 5-95

"Wheel Nut Torque 100 lb ft 140 N.m"

That 140 would be Newton Meters. So the answer is 100 lb ft OR 140 Newton Meters.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Which cover did you lose?? Make sure you have them on the right wheels. Front and back are different sizes, sorry don't mean differnent sizes I mean they fit a certain way. Also others have put tape on them to make them stay put!

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
bcbear10 said:
(snip)Had to remove wheel covers because they were spinning. Already lost one on the way home from delivery.(snip) New center cap on order.

Marc
There was a TSB on my 2005 regarding the wheel covers, and the factory fix is for the dealer to put a special tape in certain spots around the inside ring to give the centers more friction. Worked great on mine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
wildcat66 said:
Which cover did you lose?? Make sure you have them on the right wheels. Front and back are different sizes. Also others ahve put tape on them to make them stay put!
Center caps are different sizes for front and rear? Are you sure of this?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Calcustom said:
Center caps are different sizes for front and rear? Are you sure of this?
They are the same size, in other words they can be swapped fronts for rears, but they don't match when that is done. The shape of the prongs are different and won't look right.

·
Registered
286 Posts
HA! You had me going. The last mistake I made was in '67 when, for a few terrible moments, I THOUGHT I made a mistake. Page 3-71 of the 2004 shop manual:Tighten the wheel nuts to 190N-m (140 lb ft) using J 39544-KIT.

It does sound high to me, I'm going to go from 80 to 100 next time. Maybe Chevrolet figured out it was wrong and changed it in the later manual.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My wheel guy said 75#,

but I would be comfortable with 100#. The wheel guy also said alloy wheels should be torqued on some time interval as the alloy will shrink and grow with temp changes. It may be infinitesimal (sp?) but anyhow, it's worth doing. :thumbs

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
joel said:
HA! You had me going. The last mistake I made was in '67 when, for a few terrible moments, I THOUGHT I made a mistake. Page 3-71 of the 2004 shop manual:Tighten the wheel nuts to 190N-m (140 lb ft) using J 39544-KIT.

It does sound high to me, I'm going to go from 80 to 100 next time. Maybe Chevrolet figured out it was wrong and changed it in the later manual.
That would mean a discrepancy...and a LARGE one at that between the shop manual and owners manual. (Unless there has been a change since 2004) I have a feeling shop manual is wrong in this case. 100 lb ft should be about right.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wildcat66 said:
Which cover did you lose?? Make sure you have them on the right wheels. Front and back are different sizes, sorry don't mean differnent sizes I mean they fit a certain way. Also others have put tape on them to make them stay put!

Wildcat,

I lost the front cap on the way home after taking delivery of the vehicle. The dealer did a wheel swap for. This was the first and only SSR to be sold or delivered by this dealer and I can see why. After finding the missing wheel cap I check the remaining three. Found the other frint had a rear cap on and all remaining wheel caps were installed wrong and without the recommended tape.

All will be corrected this week.

Thanks for all the help.

Marc

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
1,436 Posts
bcbear10 said:
Wildcat,

I lost the front cap on the way home after taking delivery of the vehicle. The dealer did a wheel swap for. This was the first and only SSR to be sold or delivered by this dealer and I can see why. After finding the missing wheel cap I check the remaining three. Found the other frint had a rear cap on and all remaining wheel caps were installed wrong and without the recommended tape.

All will be corrected this week.

Thanks for all the help.

Marc
If you look at the inside of the cap (at least on my 06) it shows a picture of the valve stem with arrows. Point this picture at the valve stem and you have it on right.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ssr blur said:
If you look at the inside of the cap (at least on my 06) it shows a picture of the valve stem with arrows. Point this picture at the valve stem and you have it on right.

I know the proper way to install the caps. Too bad the tech at the dealership does not know the proper procedure. I can understand if they don't know how to read, it's another thing when they can't follow pictures.

Might be time to find another dealer to work on this truck. If they can't do a simple wheel swap just what would I trust them with??

Marc

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
wheel torque

I was always told to torque the nuts on in a star pattern and then retighten after the first 50 miles

·
Registered
63 Posts
wheel torque

Hey fellows and gals. Just got off the computer with a friend that works at the factory--GM tech service. I asked him about the torque on the wheels that everyone is concerned about. First question is what manual did you see it in. Most of, if not all of the GM stuff is on disc or the INTERNET and not printed anymore. He asked me where it was seen so he can correct is. Please provide info and I will see if I can get it corrected. The proper torque is 100FT Pounds as others have stated. Motordoctor '05 aqua blur 6 speed

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,120 Posts
Manual

Attached are the JPEG images of pages 3-72 and 3-73. To be precise, the torque value is 140 N-m. This is equal to 103 lb ft.

The manual cover is provided for your reference.

Mike

Attachments

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,120 Posts
Some may have misread the 140 N-m, thinking it was lb ft. Easy mistake, I think.

If anyone used 140 lb ft on lug nuts, I would seriously consider pitching them. 40% overtorque on the lug nuts is grounds for replacement in my book. The thread stresses get pretty high and will be a headache later when they gall. The wheel studs are probably OK, as the lug nuts should be designed to be the weak link. Can't say for sure, as I don't have the material specs on the studs.

Mike

1 - 20 of 29 Posts