Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are ya'all putting the XM antenna??I put mine behind the rear veiw mirror but it seems to lose the signal alot!? Does anyone know if there is any metal in the tint across the top of the windshied tint??I mounted my Pioneer control head in the ashtray which will never get used! Fred :lol :flag

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Antennas

I'm assuming you are using some kind of inside the window mount.

Finding a place to mount any antenna would seem a tough job. I guess thats why we have that poor windshield job for the radio. Anyway given that's where it is, I doubt the window has the kind of metallic content that would block signals.

As an alternative, arn't there XM antennas that mount outside the cab using magnets?

Edit: Try searching www.xmfan.com forums for info about antennas.

I think if I were looking to mount an XM antenna, I'd try one of the mouse mag. base types near the back edge of the tonnue cover. Then look for a way to snake the wire through the top's bucket.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
antenna placement

I have placed my XM antenna in the right front defroster vent. I painted the antenna black (to cover up the grey XM). You cannot see the antenna unless I point it out to you and the signal is pretty good. I have found that traveling down a small, tree lined road the signal can fade a little and in a heavy rain there was noticable fade, but otherwise the signal is good.

(Again, as soon as I get everything working I will post pictures of the XM radio and radar detector install. )

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We used double sided tape and placed in the upper corner on the passenger side windshield - works great.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
camaro69,

Is it on the inside?
Is it parallel to the ground?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the antenna is on the outside at the very upper corner on the passenger side windshield, has been working much better than on the inside center near the defrost vent.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine's mounted to the inside of the middle top of the windshield behind the rearview mirror. It is really hidden well but it is dropping the signal excessively, might be due to the slant when I'm driving away from the satillite source?! that's why i posted the ??I'll wait to see if I get anymore replies. Thanks everyone who has posted, Fred :) :confused :thumbs :flag

looking4_an_ssr said:
camaro69,

Is it on the inside?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

camaro69cmrlvr said:
the antenna is on the outside at the very upper corner on the passenger side windshield, has been working much better than on the inside center near the defrost vent.
Is it parallel to the ground? :confused :) :seeya

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is not parallel to the ground, does that matter? The XM antenna on my silverado truck is not parallel to the ground and my reception is without problems

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does parallel to the ground matter???????

:confused :confused :seeya :reddevil :flag
looking4_an_ssr said:
camaro69,

Is it on the inside?

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
parallel

I was told that it had to be parallel to receive a signal, say from the satellite behind you, but if it works, it works and that's how inventions are made...doing something that they told you couldn't be done...like making a convertible pickup truck that still had all of it's bed space when the top was down that got more attention than vehicles twice it's price. :)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Radar Detector

How well does your radar detector work mounted in the ashtray? If I may ask what brand is it? A very neat idea.​
looking4_an_ssr said:
I have placed my XM antenna in the right front defroster vent. I painted the antenna black (to cover up the grey XM). You cannot see the antenna unless I point it out to you and the signal is pretty good. I have found that traveling down a small, tree lined road the signal can fade a little and in a heavy rain there was noticable fade, but otherwise the signal is good.

(Again, as soon as I get everything working I will post pictures of the XM radio and radar detector install. )

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
my xm antennae is mounted on the center of the dash toward the windshield. just a little hump. no problem with reception.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
XM antennae placement

I put my antennae above the windshield on the outside. I posted a couple of pics on page 4 of the General Discussion Section and it's the last post on that page. It's titled " Console Addition." I don't know how to link it or I would. Mine had a magnetic base and I ran the wire under the weatherseal over to the pillar cover on the driver's side and just slipped it under the cover and then thru the door and under the dash. The reception is great. Hope this helps.

I went back and added the pics to this post so you don't have to look for them.

Attachments

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thats the exact same place that i mounted
mine. Reception is great, even in the garage.

Later,
John

1 - 19 of 19 Posts