Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm too lazy and don't have much room right now to get all the tires off and take the breaks apart to paint them. I have tried a few places but no one seems to do this. Any idea what kind of place would paint calipers? Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,223 Posts
It's pretty much a do it yourself project. It would be a pretty pricy project for a body shop to tackle - not really that complicated. If the truck hasn't seen much salt and the calipers aren't corroded,a cleanup should be enough. It means a lot of masking, but I'd do it with the whole assembly intact - don't forget to mask off the wheelwell and a pretty good section of the truck body to prevent overspray.

I did my Sonoma with the stock color in Dupont Centari - don't bother with the base clear combination. I did mine 5 years ago, and re-sprayed them this spring - they were in really good condition considering it's my wife's year round driver. I would do both the hub and caliper, but don't bother with the outer edge of the rotor - the heat there will burn the paint off fairly quickly.

I didn't check for a name, but the owner of the yellow SSR who had done his indicated he used high heat paint - that might prevent the outer edge of the rotor from burning paint off, but the caliper and hub on mine didn't need high heaat paint.

I plan to do my yellow SSR the same way when it gets here (sorry if it seems like I'm copying, but I had intended to do it in red also - would do the same on a red or black truck, and probably do the ultraviolet in a nice Tangerine or something.)

Oh yeah - while you're at it, why not clean up and repaint that blue rear shock to red - would look a lot more custom - part of the plan on mine.

I did it all the first time with a baby compresser and an airbrush - this time I still used the airbrush, but am now equipped with a 60 gallon 2 stage compressor - real luxury. I also expect to do a lot of underhood chroming, polishing and painting - should clean up really well lots of billet aluminum to remove and redo.

Photo is of the Sonoma last year - have since replaced the heater and coolant hoses with chrome plated Flexhose.

·
Premium Member
9,223 Posts
Hi, RedSSR - shot of the front wheel, paint about 4 years old when this shot was taken.

If you don't want to go to the trouble of using an airbrush and compressor, most paint shops can mix the color needed, and put it into a spray bomb - not as easy to work with, but can be done. Lots of thin coats with a bit of drying time is the best approach - thick doesn't work very well.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I saw the paint on the stylinconcepts website everything needed was included. I think it is the little things like that, that sets your truck apart from others. I also saw the chrome flex hoses and told my hubby that mothers day is just around the corner... hint, hint. Looking forward to doing those little things to mine. :)

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
caliper paint

I'm sitting in here at my favorite spot, doing what I like best, and waiting for the paint to dry on my calipers. I removed the calipers from the truck, plugged the brake hose hole and the bleeder screw, did a thorough cleaning with degreaser and water, then sprayed the entire assemblies with brake clean. About three medium coats of VHT caliper paint and I'm done. The longer it dries, the better.

Only problem, but not much, is bleeding the brakes when you put the calipers back on. I really recommend removing them, so you can do a better job. I also know of an epoxy kit that you can apply to the calipers that would probably work better. I'll let you know how it holds up. ;)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm under the impression that we have to take the whole thing apart and paint the calipers. Is that right? Are you spraying them on the car?

I can't believe that there are no shops that would do that. I just don't want to do it...

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
It took me over an hour per caliper to remove and paint and reinstall. There was nothing difficult at all, if you are a diy'er. Let's see--4 hours @ $75 per would be $300 plus materials. That does not include drying time. A professional painter would use better quality paint than a spray can. Then there's the question of warranty--he may not even consider a warranty. :)

M

·
0 Posts
I would consider painting mine too. My truck is black, so maybe a silver color or something to match the door handles, rims, or front smile bar. Would love to see some pictures of you guys that have painted yours.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Flaash or anyone else who has done this,

did you guys spary/paint without taking all the aprts apart and while on the car?

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I took my calipers off the truck and into the garage to spray paint them. Got some good comments on them today. Also had the stripe guy do a little silver and yellow double stripe along the body lines. Turned out spectacular!!! Just what it needed. Now I'm ready for the car show.

·
Premium Member
9,223 Posts
I did mine on the truck - pretty easy to get around with an airbrush, and no re-assembly and bleeding. It's not a good a job as removing everything, but who looks at the backside of calipers beside the mechanic? - unless it's a full show truck - then it deserves the full treatment.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Lets see some picture of that stripping

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
I'll need to

borrow my daughter's digital camera, then I'll post my pinstripe and calipers. I'm new to the e-mail, digital pictures and such but I'll get my wife to help. BTW, she came home, saw the stripes and was VERY impressed with the outcome. :thumbs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts