Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - well, finally grabbed the girlfriend and found a slot of time to check out the 05 SSRs I've been wanting to...

The only dealer near me that has a black 05 on the lot is Sterling Chevrolet, nearly an hour away. I emailed back and forth with the guy a couple times about the price, but figured no biggie on the dollars until I drove it.

So Sunday morning we've got a little time and we're out, so we arrive at the dealer (unnanounced as it was pretty spur of the moment) - we're in my C6 Vette, too, figuring if there was a ballgame afoot I'd need the trade bait on hand.

I asked for the guy I'd emailed with, and he showed me over to the truck, just outside the showroom. He opened it up and I showed my girl around the interior a bit. It was blocked in so I asked him if there was a way to get it out onto the street.

While he went to check, or whatever, I looked over the SSR....
- No chrome wheels, which I could've SWORN the buypower page listed as being there on this one... but maybe I was wrong, no biggie.
- Middle of steering wheel poorly fit, popping off somehow - had the airbag cover been replaced?
- The door panels were the older, no-room-for-hands style.
- Window indexing on passenger door seemed sluggish

About this time the guy comes back out and says "hey, manager says no test drives on SSRs, just like Corvettes." - I'm like "what??" I asked if it made them feel more secure that I'd be leaving my *own* Vette in their lot for the time being, and he said no way, "but if you're going to buy today i'll let you drive it" - not sure if the attitude was his or his manager's, but I got some at no extra charge.

- I asked how on earth I'd be able to know if I wanted it, if I couldn't drive it (as mine previous was a way-different 04 model) then told him everything I'd found wrong with the one I was standing outside of, and thanked him for wasting time arguing on a 500-day-old vehicle that wasn't going to move anytime soon anyway (with the price they're trying to get at least).

So, Dave Cumba and the amazing invisible manager at Sterling Chevrolet in Sterling VA, this finger's for you.

I don't understand how they can see I'll drop $55k on a C6, but not even rent out an SSR for 10 minutes. I am in my late 20s, was dressed respectably but not artificially so (not a golf shirt and loafers or anything) and was professional up until the point of contention mentioned above.

For all you shoppers out there, they have a new 2006 Pacific Blue with chrome wheels, in addition to this black 05. Maybe you could have another dealer do a swap if you want a PB but have been turned off by this message.

If you think I'm overreacting, that's fine, but I've never gotten such a response when test-driving anything. I even test drove two C6s at two different dealerships before buying mine last summer, even though lots of Vette Forum guys were still reporting No Test Drive syndrome at their dealers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,317 Posts
Unfortunately you are going to run into asses everywhere. But on the bright side, they are plenty of others out there that want to work with you. Good luck on your hunt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,003 Posts
When I was looking last year, the salesman was so excited that I wanted to drive one, he forgot to ask to see my driver's license until we got back !! They had six or eight on the lot, so maybe they were hoping I'd steal it. :jester
 

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
Joined
·
9,315 Posts
With my driver's license in hand and my 'other' car in the lot...the keys were handed to me...they just asked that I be back sometime that day:glol :glol
 

·
Yes, I have an ATTITUDE !
Joined
·
1,678 Posts
Mine was on the lot for a while, they gladly let me take it for a spin.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,744 Posts
I went into my dealer, after work, dirty, wearing shorts and a tank top and he handed me the keys & off I went. Sorry you had a bad experience! Gotta test drive it before you buy it with anything, shouldn't matter what you drive or wear, it's all about the money or credit rating!

Reminds me of DMX in that Seagal movie, 2 guys walk into a dealership and sit in the Lambo and the Rolls, 1 salesman tries to throw them out, the other salesman they toss him a bag of cash w/$300K in it and roll out with the Lambo. Never judge a book by it's cover!

Let them sit on it for another 500 days, maybe they'll think twice next time :banghead

Keep searching, GOOD LUCK!
 

·
Machell
Joined
·
20,829 Posts
Keep looking and look for a decent dealership, BTW incase anyone else wants to avoid them their name was Sterling Chevrolet!! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,003 Posts
Hmmm, Did you say STERLING CHEVROLET in Sterling, VA. :eek :eek :eek :leaving
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
jammadave said:
Hey guys - well, finally grabbed the girlfriend and found a slot of time to check out the 05 SSRs I've been wanting to...

The only dealer near me that has a black 05 on the lot is Sterling Chevrolet, nearly an hour away. I emailed back and forth with the guy a couple times about the price, but figured no biggie on the dollars until I drove it.

So Sunday morning we've got a little time and we're out, so we arrive at the dealer (unnanounced as it was pretty spur of the moment) - we're in my C6 Vette, too, figuring if there was a ballgame afoot I'd need the trade bait on hand.

I asked for the guy I'd emailed with, and he showed me over to the truck, just outside the showroom. He opened it up and I showed my girl around the interior a bit. It was blocked in so I asked him if there was a way to get it out onto the street.

While he went to check, or whatever, I looked over the SSR....
- No chrome wheels, which I could've SWORN the buypower page listed as being there on this one... but maybe I was wrong, no biggie.
- Middle of steering wheel poorly fit, popping off somehow - had the airbag cover been replaced?
- The door panels were the older, no-room-for-hands style.
- Window indexing on passenger door seemed sluggish

About this time the guy comes back out and says "hey, manager says no test drives on SSRs, just like Corvettes." - I'm like "what??" I asked if it made them feel more secure that I'd be leaving my *own* Vette in their lot for the time being, and he said no way, "but if you're going to buy today i'll let you drive it" - not sure if the attitude was his or his manager's, but I got some at no extra charge.

- I asked how on earth I'd be able to know if I wanted it, if I couldn't drive it (as mine previous was a way-different 04 model) then told him everything I'd found wrong with the one I was standing outside of, and thanked him for wasting time arguing on a 500-day-old vehicle that wasn't going to move anytime soon anyway (with the price they're trying to get at least).

So, Dave Cumba and the amazing invisible manager at Sterling Chevrolet in Sterling VA, this finger's for you.

I don't understand how they can see I'll drop $55k on a C6, but not even rent out an SSR for 10 minutes. I am in my late 20s, was dressed respectably but not artificially so (not a golf shirt and loafers or anything) and was professional up until the point of contention mentioned above.

For all you shoppers out there, they have a new 2006 Pacific Blue with chrome wheels, in addition to this black 05. Maybe you could have another dealer do a swap if you want a PB but have been turned off by this message.

If you think I'm overreacting, that's fine, but I've never gotten such a response when test-driving anything. I even test drove two C6s at two different dealerships before buying mine last summer, even though lots of Vette Forum guys were still reporting No Test Drive syndrome at their dealers.
Just so you know. When I was looking to buy an SSR , I went to my local dealerships, both are Jack Schmitt Chevrolet. One in O'Fallon, Illinois and the other in Collinsville, Illinois, this was during the Bastard Child Discount time. Both dealerships have the same policy, no driving without a signed contract. The dealership I purchased from, handed me the keys and said bring it back, when I was ready. I have found bad attitude with many Chevrolet Dealers, when shopping for a Z06 and SSR.
Funny thing is that you buy inspite of GM and Chevrolet Dealers. Good Chevrolet Dealers are scare and Great Chevrolet Dealers are Rare. I purchased a set of Chrome wheels from a Chevrolet dealer in Wisconsin in September. I am still trying to get the adjustment of "bad" Chrome 20's.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,668 Posts
When I bought my first SSR, the dealer was pretty much the same as Sterling. HOWEVER, the dealer that I bought the 2nd one from was TOTALLY the opposite. They handed me the keys and out the door I went to drive it. NO Problem. Needless to say, they now have all my business.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,046 Posts
That SSR wasn't meant for you!

Hello Hal here, when ever you go anywhere and you get that kind of response,
unfortunetly,just know that your'e getting a nudge to keep searching. If not
that one,another even better, taylored to your specific desires and price.You
should never have to force a purchase!When it's right it just flows your way and
everybody wins. You know what your first question will be when you talk to
the next Dealer:yesnod Must drive if you want to keep this potential sale alive!
Wish you well ! Hal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
The funny thing about the no test drive policy is the drive is what sells the truck. I went to my dealer to buy a C5 Z-06 when they were getting cheap, saw a SSR, thought a large "trunk" would be nice and asked to drive it. My wife and I hadn't driven the SSR 5 miles and we knew this was the vehicle to buy. Maybe that is why they can't sell them, they aren't letting people see how great they do ride and drive.
 

·
SSR Owners Group
Joined
·
3,753 Posts
I guess the test drive applies - IF the SSR is already being produced. There was a bunch of us that had put money down and ordered our allocation - and found our first drive was the drive HOME! :cool

The dealership I purchased from had my 10k deposit - but he also told me the day I flew up to take delivery of my SSR that IF I wanted out - he had several folks in line to buy it!

FYI: My initial drive the 1st week of December '03 in Missoula was a top down drive - we were no more than a mile from the dealership when a BIG chunk of ice flew off an oncoming big rig and (it seemed like slow motion) smashed into the center of my windshield! Luckily NO damage - except for a couple of skipped heart beats... :eek
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Kennedy Chevrolet in Southampton PA begged me to take a test drive. I knew I wanted the car and said no thank you, just make the price right. They did and another one hit the road.

jhs

Jules
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
You did NOT overreact! Sc*** them! And make sure all your friends know about this, too.:boxing
jammadave said:
Hey guys - well, finally grabbed the girlfriend and found a slot of time to check out the 05 SSRs I've been wanting to...

The only dealer near me that has a black 05 on the lot is Sterling Chevrolet, nearly an hour away. I emailed back and forth with the guy a couple times about the price, but figured no biggie on the dollars until I drove it.

So Sunday morning we've got a little time and we're out, so we arrive at the dealer (unnanounced as it was pretty spur of the moment) - we're in my C6 Vette, too, figuring if there was a ballgame afoot I'd need the trade bait on hand.

I asked for the guy I'd emailed with, and he showed me over to the truck, just outside the showroom. He opened it up and I showed my girl around the interior a bit. It was blocked in so I asked him if there was a way to get it out onto the street.

While he went to check, or whatever, I looked over the SSR....
- No chrome wheels, which I could've SWORN the buypower page listed as being there on this one... but maybe I was wrong, no biggie.
- Middle of steering wheel poorly fit, popping off somehow - had the airbag cover been replaced?
- The door panels were the older, no-room-for-hands style.
- Window indexing on passenger door seemed sluggish

About this time the guy comes back out and says "hey, manager says no test drives on SSRs, just like Corvettes." - I'm like "what??" I asked if it made them feel more secure that I'd be leaving my *own* Vette in their lot for the time being, and he said no way, "but if you're going to buy today i'll let you drive it" - not sure if the attitude was his or his manager's, but I got some at no extra charge.

- I asked how on earth I'd be able to know if I wanted it, if I couldn't drive it (as mine previous was a way-different 04 model) then told him everything I'd found wrong with the one I was standing outside of, and thanked him for wasting time arguing on a 500-day-old vehicle that wasn't going to move anytime soon anyway (with the price they're trying to get at least).

So, Dave Cumba and the amazing invisible manager at Sterling Chevrolet in Sterling VA, this finger's for you.

I don't understand how they can see I'll drop $55k on a C6, but not even rent out an SSR for 10 minutes. I am in my late 20s, was dressed respectably but not artificially so (not a golf shirt and loafers or anything) and was professional up until the point of contention mentioned above.

For all you shoppers out there, they have a new 2006 Pacific Blue with chrome wheels, in addition to this black 05. Maybe you could have another dealer do a swap if you want a PB but have been turned off by this message.

If you think I'm overreacting, that's fine, but I've never gotten such a response when test-driving anything. I even test drove two C6s at two different dealerships before buying mine last summer, even though lots of Vette Forum guys were still reporting No Test Drive syndrome at their dealers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
When I went shopping for an SSR last summer, I wasn't refused a test drive, but the salesman at each of the two dealerships we shopped (Huffine's in Lewisville, TX and Van in Carrollton, TX) both insisted on riding along. Since my wife was with me, and it's only a two-seater, that meant two test drives in each instance, one for me, and one for her.

We ended up buying used (with 500 miles on the odometer) from a third party who wanted to replace his automatic with a 6-speed, but that's another story.

Contrast these experiences with the Mercedes dealer the year before who let us drive off alone (just my wife and me) in a new SLK (another two-seater). Guess with whom we did business?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Royalshowing said:
Just so you know. When I was looking to buy an SSR , I went to my local dealerships, both are Jack Schmitt Chevrolet. One in O'Fallon, Illinois and the other in Collinsville, Illinois, this was during the Bastard Child Discount time. Both dealerships have the same policy, no driving without a signed contract. The dealership I purchased from, handed me the keys and said bring it back, when I was ready. I have found bad attitude with many Chevrolet Dealers, when shopping for a Z06 and SSR.
Hey, Royalshowing, your post made me a little homesick. I grew up in your area (Belleville), and my mother was a bookkeeper for various car dealerships in the area (Buick, Chrysler/Plymouth, Lincoln/Mercury; never Chevy). It was a small business community, however, and the "anecdotal stories" about the policies and personalities at the various dealerships in the area certainly made the rounds!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Hey JAustin

My Environmental business is located in Millstadt. I'm sure you know where that is!
At any rate, I bought my '04" SSR over in South STL County at a Chev. dealer who let me & the wife take the SSR out for as long as we wanted to, by ourselves. They had 2 yellow ones at the time. We ended up buying there, at a later date after we made our best deal. Have never regretted the purchase.
Charley
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
REDIdrill said:
My Environmental business is located in Millstadt. I'm sure you know where that is!

At any rate, I bought my '04" SSR over in South STL County at a Chev. dealer who let me & the wife take the SSR out for as long as we wanted to, by ourselves. They had 2 yellow ones at the time. We ended up buying there, at a later date after we made our best deal. Have never regretted the purchase.
Charley
Hello, REDIdrill! I sure do know where Millstadt is ... my uncle used to live there. And my sister once worked at Jefferson Barracks over in South County. Small world!

All the best,

Jon
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top