Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to get some ideas together about doing a custom stereo for my ssr in the spring and wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has tried to put a custom subwoofer in without the premade boxes. I wanted to use a 12" Kicker Solo-Baric7 but i think i might have to settle for a 10". I have seen some amps mounted in the bed of the truck which seems like the best place for them but as for the subwoofer I think its going to be a difficult project. Any info would be helpful.

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
do a search, I know there have been many different answers to this question:cool
from a simple enclosure to a box in the roof compartment ported through to the cab:flag

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
How about

Instead of a single 12", I went with two 8" using the area behind the seats where the two useless 5" midranges are mounted. I had it done without cutting any new holes in the sheetmetal and it really kicks.

K

·
0 Posts
I had heard not to use the wiring for the speakers behind the seats because they do not get enough juice. Is this true? If so how did you guys wire your new speakers in.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
big-daddy said:
Instead of a single 12", I went with two 8" using the area behind the seats where the two useless 5" midranges are mounted. I had it done without cutting any new holes in the sheetmetal and it really kicks.
I did this too, but I put in two 10"s. My amp is mounted in the cab behind the passengers seat.

It looks like SSR03 move the hydraulic system to put his in and he was able to keep the midranges as well?

Here are some older threads:
http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1373&highlight=speakers
http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433

Pictures of mine:
http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=176&d=1072099925
http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=177&d=1072100074
http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=179&d=1072100499

Mine was done 2 years ago....so I think it could be done better now.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
big-daddy said:
This sounds interesting. How did you get the 8s to fit?:cool

·
Jim-n-Tanya
1,354 Posts
Stereo

Nope I didn't move anything just replaced the crappy speakers with two 10" JL Audio and had a custom fiberglass box made to hold them.

The hydraulics are still positioned in the same place!

Amps are mounted in the rear with the DVD Changer! 1000/1 for the subs and 300/4 for the three way components.

2 FRAD capasitor is mounted where the spare tire should be............

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
SSR03 said:
Nope I didn't move anything just replaced the crappy speakers with two 10" JL Audio and had a custom fiberglass box made to hold them.

The hydraulics are still positioned in the same place!

Amps are mounted in the rear with the DVD Changer! 1000/1 for the subs and 300/4 for the three way components.

2 FRAD capasitor is mounted where the spare tire should be............
Very cool indeed....................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input I think I am going to put them behind the seats as well. It looks really nice there plus it doesn't look like it takes up that much room. I will probably use two 10's so I can get some thump out of it. I will post pics when I start it but it probably won't be for a couple months.

Thanks again

·
Registered
9 Posts
i had custom box made with 3-- 6" subs in triangle pattern more base than 2 8's would have gave me and it fit snug behind passenger seat i mounted amp behind driver seat on back wall after i removed the tire inflator fit perfect i put the inflator in saddle box in trunk space mounted tweeters in upright posts above the dash sounds awesome and didnt have to cut threw top storage and go the ported way but im sure that would work fine but probably cost more :willy: $$$$$$$

·
Jim-n-Tanya
1,354 Posts
BD Audio

Brent said if I went 12" s they would have never fit due to the air space.
He even had to remove the rubber casings on the speakers.
Now all I hear is sound...............

What I don't hear is road noise and or squeeeeeeeking from the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
SSR03 said:
Brent said if I went 12" s they would have never fit due to the air space.
He even had to remove the rubber casings on the speakers.
Now all I hear is sound...............

What I don't hear is road noise and or squeeeeeeeking from the top.

Is that a drink in your cup holder.....I was wondering what the cup holders were for :jester :glol :jester :glol :jester

·
OP
8,225 Posts
too good for SSR03

I have seen this set-up first hand and I will say it is one of the best systems I have ever seen. It utilizes every bit of space the roof compartment has with a little moving room. The paint job is great, looks better than factory, but appears engineered for the SSR, like I said, much too good for SSR03:glol :glol

·
Registered
162 Posts
ssr03, which head unit is that? i've been looking at the pioneer avic d1. i've already got two jl 10w3v2 subs from my mini cooper, a 500/1 and 300/2 that i'd like to use for the install. how much was your box and would your guy be down to make one to ship out to CA?

thanks,
Wes

1 - 17 of 17 Posts