Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
SSR Believer
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally set up my QuickJack and rolled under the R to check out things including an odd sound that I've been hearing for many months now. Thought the kid that welded in the new Magnaflow muffler might have missed the mark somewhere. However after listening closely to everything front to back and side-to-side I'm almost certain the odd noise is coming from the fuel tank. I can put my hand on it and feel a vibration when I hear the sound. Can't hear it in the cabin, but somewhat when the top is down and definitely when standing by the driver's door.

Searching here and on the Trailblazer forum I'm starting to think that it may be a failing fuel pump. :cautious: Others have posted that their TB has made that noise for years and years with no problems.:unsure:

It's been running great with no issues and no codes. Starts right up and so on. Has about 58K miles now. I looked though all of the previous owner's service records (since day one) and there's no reference to the pump ever being replaced.

Will you experts kindly have a listen and let me know what you think? Nothing to see, just the underside of the gas tank, but what you'll hear is a fairly normal idle, however periodically there's a high-pitched whining sound.

TIA!

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,211 Posts
Good ear to hear the noise. The 05-06 sys is a dead head system, as opposed to 03-04 which has a return line.

Several questions, none entirely conclusive:
a) Have you borrowed a fuel pressure gauge and watched the needle?
b) Can you correlate the louder whir with any fluctuations in the needle on the fuel pressure gauge?
c) Fuel level according to the gas gauge?
d) After letting it sit a good long while, or carefully bleeding pressure off the fuel rail, do you hear the noise when you turn the key on (before cranking) or just when running?
Shoe Musical instrument Automotive tire Font Outdoor shoe

Sorry, I don’t have a pic where you can see the indentation of the rear crossmember.

e) Looking at the above picture, does the sound seem like it comes from the pump?

PS. Looks pretty clean under there. Mike’s rear cross member is far stiffer than the Trailblazer one you have;).

·
SSR Believer
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey Robert! I don't have a fuel pressure gauge. Sounds like that's the next step.

The fuel gauge has always been about right. (Dicktator replaced the steppers a while back, but it was fine even before that.) Never noticed anything unusual.

The sound does seem to be coming from directly under the pump.

Turning the key on after sitting for a week or so, I can hear the pump/prime, but the whining sound doesn't occur until it's running, then it happens immediately.

So the whining does seem to occur, or at least be louder, after it's been sitting for a while and then it fades away after it's warmed up and has been driven for a bit. (That's why I thought it might be an exhaust leak initially.) If I start it again, say the next day, I don't hear it as much or at all. I'll fire up again tomorrow and see how it sounds. IOW, I guess I could say that I hear it more when it hasn't been driven for a bit.

The previous owner installed the 4 bolt TB crossmember. Was hoping no one would notice that it's not one of Mike's. :eek::giggle:

Didn't know you were an avid skateboarder! 🤙

·
Tech Support/Research
1,870 Posts
That sound is not quite the same as the constant higher pitch whine I've heard from the fuel pump on another 2005 SSR (it was also a low-mileage truck). Although it was not showing symptoms of operational failure, it was the only SSR I've owned that made this very noticeable type of noise whenever the truck was running. As a conservative measure to preclude the chance of an unexpected failure I replaced it with a new Bosch pump/filter assembly (part number 67508). With the tank removed I also inspected the fuel inlet neck for cracking (it was OK) and replaced the EVAP vent valve (AC Delco part number 25950499). The fuel pump has been quiet since being replaced.

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Rim Auto part

·
Registered
638 Posts
50K original fuel pump went, replaced with the Bosch above that lasted 3 years, now with a new DENSO pump.
I previously replaced the original Fuel Tank which GM had updated for the Baffles when I had the Bosch installed.
Also, wrapped the Fuel Tank Straps with rubber to handle any vibration. I had to drop the tank again shortly after for the Evap Cannister. So, new Evap Cannister and Emission lines for preventive maintenance.
My experience has been that at 50k, everything original starts to go.

·
SSR Believer
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That sound is not quite the same as the constant higher pitch whine I've heard from the fuel pump on another 2005 SSR (it was also a low-mileage truck). Although it was not showing symptoms of operational failure, it was the only SSR I've owned that made this very noticeable type of noise whenever the truck was running. As a conservative measure to preclude the chance of an unexpected failure I replaced it with a new Bosch pump/filter assembly (part number 67508). With the tank removed I also inspected the fuel inlet neck for cracking (it was OK) and replaced the EVAP vent valve (AC Delco part number 25950499). The fuel pump has been quiet since being replaced.

View attachment 599719
50K original fuel pump went, replaced with the Bosch above that lasted 3 years, now with a new DENSO pump.
I previously replaced the original Fuel Tank which GM had updated for the Baffles when I had the Bosch installed.
Also, wrapped the Fuel Tank Straps with rubber to handle any vibration. I had to drop the tank again shortly after for the Evap Cannister. So, new Evap Cannister and Emission lines for preventive maintenance.
My experience has been that at 50k, everything original starts to go.
Great info guys. (y) I'm a little OCD about preventative maintenance. Well, okay, a LOT OCD. ;)

I was looking at the GM Genuine 19418261 as well as the Bosch 67508. Both are around $200 or so from RockAuto and Amazon. Also found a DELPHI FG0515 on RockAuto for about $240. The recommended Denso 953-3052 shows discontinued. Found a number of cheaper models but I'm of the old school "you get what you pay for" belief. So you both would basically recommend the Bosch over the GM OEM? Thoughts about the Delphi?

I'd also plan on replacing the EVAP valve and emission lines. Good advice about the tank strap insulation.

Not convinced it's the pump just yet, but sure seems to point in that direction. Next step would be to test the pressure I guess.

·
SSR Believer
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good ear to hear the noise. The 05-06 sys is a dead head system, as opposed to 03-04 which has a return line.

Several questions, none entirely conclusive:
a) Have you borrowed a fuel pressure gauge and watched the needle?
b) Can you correlate the louder whir with any fluctuations in the needle on the fuel pressure gauge?
Robert, O'Reilly's shows that they have this loaner fuel pressure test kit. I'd have to get up to speed on using one that complicated. Would that be overkill? Found some basic ones on Amazon like this. Seems pretty easy to use. Thoughts?

·
SSR Believer
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pictures 05 fuel pump change on Alex aka Largossr05.

Dicktator
Thanks for that. Been watching a number of same-year TB fuel pump replacement videos on YouTube. Seems like a pain, but doable.

Do you recall what brand pump?

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,211 Posts
Robert, O'Reilly's shows that they have this loaner fuel pressure test kit. I'd have to get up to speed on using one that complicated. Would that be overkill? Found some basic ones on Amazon like this. Seems pretty easy to use. Thoughts?
The Holy Smokes it costs $149 and its not even a Snap-On!

You only need the gauge and the fitting that attaches to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail (passenger side on yours). I’d go for the loaner and see what you see. If the value is right, pictures below, you’re probably OK. If it isn’t, then it becomes a question of the gauge, the pump, plugged filter (which is attached to the bottom of the 05-06 pump inside “the can”), etc.

This was bad sign and the start a lot of work to come…
Tire Hand Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

This was bad evidence…and it blew another one, but I limped the mile home at 15-20mph.
Body jewelry Gesture Finger Wedding ring Thumb

This was the good feeling after a lot of work.
Motor vehicle Hood Blue Automotive tire Gauge

For those following closely yes the pictures are of two different Rs… but after learning what to do, I did the second R to “keep it even” and avoid any altercations in the family (and I can’t quickly find the results picture of the first round).

P.S. My cheapy gauge died, at some point, so I picked up a nice “tried and true” one from a mechanic.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,372 Posts
Just curious if you had someone rev it up a little to see if the sound changes/follows RPM? Open gas cap and listen there? Even with my bad hearing I hear it o_O.Sounds more like a whistle to me, kinda like a vacuum leak, but not really any vacuum there except when it's doing emissions test/check--I think.

Nick

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
4,833 Posts
A couple things on fuel pumps from changing both one on an 04 and an 05.

Get the replacement clips and replace them all even if they come out good and look ok. They are less than $10 and worth it.You really don't want to find out later one was not good.

Second piece of advice I would give is get the fuel pump with the sending unit already attached over swapping yours onto the new pump.

Last yes you can get it out with out taking the driveshaft out but for the few extra minutes it was easier to get it back in with the driveshaft out.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,870 Posts
Stlhotrod said:

Last yes you can get it out with out taking the driveshaft out but for the few extra minutes it was easier to get it back in with the driveshaft out.

And be safe if you are doing this job on a four-post lift: Before removing the driveshaft engage the parking brake and chock the rear wheels.

·
SSR Believer
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Update...

I was able to test the fuel pressure using the loaner kit from O'Reily's. Results are in the video below and as far as I can tell it's meeting specs with ignition on, at idle and revving it up (although Sandy's a bit timid when it comes to mashing the go-fast pedal.)

It doesn't look like much if any variation when the sound appears, although if anything there might have been a tiny bump up in pressure a couple of times.

Nick, I tried listening for it in the fuel filler tube, but can't hear anything over the exhaust.

So I've no idea what that sound is. I guess for now, if it ain't broke...

Thank you for all of the great input, it's truly appreciated.

Welcome any additional thoughts!

P.S. Apologies for not posting sooner. After almost 13 years we had to say goodbye to our last fur kid Joey. We were never blessed with children so pups are all we've had. As you can imagine, it was a soul-crushing experience, similar to the one we had with his sister a year ago May. First time in 40 years we haven't had a dog in the house. 😢 We're just now getting out to see the light of day so thank you for your patience.

·
Trygodfirst
2006 FPR ROTM WINNER SSR PAC BLUE AUTOMATIC -aka- Ole Blue
1,741 Posts
Update...

I was able to test the fuel pressure using the loaner kit from O'Reily's. Results are in the video below and as far as I can tell it's meeting specs with engine on, at idle and revving it up (although Sandy's a bit timid when it comes to mashing the go-fast pedal.)

It doesn't look like much if any variation when the sound appears, although if anything there might have been a tiny bump up in pressure a couple of times.

Nick, I tried listening for it in the fuel filler tube, but can't hear anything over the exhaust.

So I've no idea what that sound is. I guess for now, if it ain't broke...

Thank you for all of the great input, it's truly appreciated.

Welcome any additional thoughts!

P.S. Apologies for not posting sooner. After almost 13 years we had to say goodbye to our last fur kid Joey. We were never blessed with children so pups are all we've had. As you can imagine, it was a soul-crushing experience, similar to the one we had with his sister a year ago May. First time in 40 years we haven't had a dog in the house. 😢 We're just now getting out to see the light of day so thank you for your patience.
Hey guys. I’ve got an 06 model
I hear a whining/ high pitch whistle noise when I’m in the cab. As I drive the pitch gets higher with excelleration . Any thoughts.

·
SSR Believer
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I’ve got an 06 model
I hear a whining/ high pitch whistle noise when I’m in the cab. As I drive the pitch gets higher with excelleration . Any thoughts.
Hey Scott, does it sound similar to the video of ours in the first post?

Or... I hope you weren't referring to Diane! :oops:;)

·
Trygodfirst
2006 FPR ROTM WINNER SSR PAC BLUE AUTOMATIC -aka- Ole Blue
1,741 Posts
Hey Scott, does it sound similar to the video of ours in the first post?

Or... I hope you weren't referring to Diane! :oops:;)
Thanks just listened. No it’s not that
My hearing is bad when it comes to directional spotting a noise but I think it’s in the radio
Kinda like the old days when we had to run resistor plugs.

Reactions: richsadams

·
SSR Believer
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Since Rs are basically the same underneath I thought I'd dig around on the Trailblazer forum. I found a number of posts complaining about similar fuel pump noise issue. Some replies said that fuel pumps will just quit without warning while others said that the noise is the sign of a failing pump. Some said that the noise was always there and that they had no problems and others said that after replacing the pump the noise was gone. So no clear answers. 🤔 Several posts recommended banging on the bottom of the fuel tank to see if anything changes. Maybe I'll give that a try.

I did find this one TB article that mentioned what sounds like a similar noise being related specifically to a failing fuel pump:

TB Article said:
One of the most common signs that a fuel pump is going bad is a whining sound. The whining sound can indicate that the fuel pump is going out before there are any performance based issues. Keeping an open ear can save you from getting stuck somewhere with a bad fuel pump. It’ll sound like a low frequency buzzing sound.
So what I'm hearing doesn't strike me as a "low frequency buzzing sound" (plus it's intermittent) but whatever it is it just doesn't sound normal.

My OCD preventative maintenance is starting to kick in again. :cautious:

·
SSR Believer
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks just listened. No it’s not that
My hearing is bad when it comes to directional spotting a noise but I think it’s in the radio
Kinda like the old days when we had to run resistor plugs.
Got it. I had the same experience with the replacement stereo in ours and it turned out to be a bad ground... or actually a unnecessary ground. When I had the dash out to replace the air vents I went back through the wiring diagrams, disconnected a wire that was tagged "ground", tested it while the dash was still out and the noise was gone. Still gone today.

When I could hear it, it was while the volume was turned down and at low speeds. Turning up the tunes would cover it up.

So maybe something like that or a possibly a bad plug wire? Does it happen when the stereo is turned off? Can you tell if it's coming from the speakers?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts