Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of decent deals on leftover SSR's and related discussions. As a person that orders a lot of new cars and trucks and wants his new vehicles exactly the way he does and cannot see settling for dusty leftovers, I wonder who here actually ordered theirs. I see people traveling and shipping across states and buying SSR's with options and colors that are not their first choice and probably w/o some stuff they would prefer. For the amounts ya'll are paying, this is bewildering to me. Why not just wait until late in the model year, when there are factory incentives, and just order your SSR EXACTLY how you want it? I am considering doing that and since I see no evidence of anyone else doing that I cannot help but wonder why. thnx!

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,370 Posts
I ordered mine (employed at Chevrolet Dealership at the time), had to wait for availability of chrome wheels. Got one of the very first (maybe the first!?) UV with chrome wheels.

Blast

·
Registered
740 Posts
You can't order one and expect to get it sooner than 6 months. The Craft center is always closed. The local dealers I talked to just flat out refused to order one, something about it screwing up their allocations.

And no one wants to tell you where one is fitted out like you want. For what I need the ISB was a total waste of money, and I really, really didn't want a truck all pimped out. But almost every dealer has put the full 7 grand worth of options on the truck, in spite of the fact that most of them are post-factory.

It was the weirdest experience. No one would take my money. Finally I bitched enough here that a very nice man PM'ed with the only the two locations in the U.S. that had what I wanted. The first location did the typical GM thing of not taking my money, but I finally made a deal at the very last location. :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Before we bought ours used (with < 500 miles on the odometer), we shopped the local dealers for what we wanted. The closest thing we found (it had to be silver with auto, 1SB & running boards) had only one option we didn't want (aux gauges) and only lacked one we wanted (cockpit windbreak). A sales rep at one other local dealer took down our list of preferences, and searched at least state-wide (a considerable range, considering it's Texas) to find SSRs that matched -- and came close to -- our specs.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hey Danko....

If you sit around long enough, you'll always miss out on that great deal. Having been in the car business for too long, I have seen people wait to get that just right deal, that never comes. I don't know of any dealer who would not order a vehicle, no matter what the sales price is. Remember, if WE do't sell a car, WE can't pay our bills. I have sat here for over a year and watch people bitch about not getting the rIght deal, or not being able to order the car they want, and its all
horse feathers. Do you honestly think a dealer would like to sit on his very expensive inventory, paying his very expensive flooring cost, just so he could laugh at your rantings about not getting what you want, at the price you want. We don't control the incentives, (rebates or dealer cash, or cash back). GM does.
Why do you think GM is in the toilet. Its because of all the cash incentives they have been giving away since forever. GM, Ford and all the others make a great vehicle, but everyone still thinks the imports have us by the huevous. Either buy something or give it up. Sorry for the rambling folk, but it hits a sore spot every time I hear someone say that nobody wants to sell me something. Spend some money, on something, help the economy grow, you'll feel better.
Mike :cool
Semper Fi

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Watch Six said:
If you sit around long enough, you'll always miss out on that great deal. Having been in the car business for too long, I have seen people wait to get that just right deal, that never comes. I don't know of any dealer who would not order a vehicle, no matter what the sales price is. Remember, if WE do't sell a car, WE can't pay our bills. I have sat here for over a year and watch people bitch about not getting the rIght deal, or not being able to order the car they want, and its all
horse feathers. Do you honestly think a dealer would like to sit on his very expensive inventory, paying his very expensive flooring cost, just so he could laugh at your rantings about not getting what you want, at the price you want. We don't control the incentives, (rebates or dealer cash, or cash back). GM does.
Why do you think GM is in the toilet. Its because of all the cash incentives they have been giving away since forever. GM, Ford and all the others make a great vehicle, but everyone still thinks the imports have us by the huevous. Either buy something or give it up. Sorry for the rambling folk, but it hits a sore spot every time I hear someone say that nobody wants to sell me something. Spend some money, on something, help the economy grow, you'll feel better.
Semper Fi

It sure would be nice if after you spend all your hard earned money, GM would learn how to take care of you when it comes to service. Truck has been in for service since this past Wednesday for some repairs including a broken handle. First day truck was worked on for 1 hour. Second day sat outside all day without being worked on. Today they didn't start working on it till noon. When I called at 4pm I was informed that not only was it not ready but some idiot backed into the door and caused damage and now it needs a trip to the body shop. In all my years of owning vehicles I have never seen such poor service. Guess I will not be getting an 06. One trip down the isle with GM is enough!!!!!!!!!!!!! GM gets what they deserve--------------

bcbear

:nono :mad :cuss :confused :mad

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thnx! A couple responses made sense and confirmed it is possible to order just what you want and get it in a reasonable period. No reason for me to believe otherwise but after reading this forum for months, it seemed like few here actually are driving just exactly the SSR they want and for over $40K that makes no sense to me, but then ya'll ARE driving SSR's and I am not (yet).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just curious if the ordered SSR's were ordered from the factory and had a delivery date or ordered from the dealer and they located what you wanted?

B

·
0 Posts
3 weeks

My 05 was ordered from the factory. Ordered the week of 12-3-04, got here week of 12-24-04. It got here early in that week. It was less than 3 weeks.
I was told 8 to 12 weeks for ssr to get here.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Not Ordered....

Shopped Online, drove it off the showroom floor...:ssr

RickSSR :cool

·
Registered
740 Posts
Watch Six said:
Semper Fi
I went into the dealer, ordered one at list price. Manager came over, said it would screw up their allocatoin. Promised to try to find one but never called me or took my calls.

I called several nearby dealers, told them what I wanted. They were all like "Come in, I have exactly what you want. We can make a deal", even tho I knew they didn't have what I wanted in inventory. Frightenly sleazly.

That's when I came to ssrfanatic. Honestly, if it hadn't been for this place, I would have been completely unable to buy an SSR.

I really can't complain. I ended up getting exactly what I wanted, several weeks before my lease ran out on the Z3, and I saved 10 grand. Bear in mind that I almost always pay close to the advertised price for my cars. I am not a negotiator. :lol

But it was really very strange. I live in the computer world where if I need a new server, I hit HP's website and order one. I don't have to travel from dealer to dealer trying to find something in inventory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ordered My 06

In for an oil change on my 04 P/U. I admired the SSR since inception but was not impressed with the performance. Rumor had it the 06 may be the last year available. Did not want to miss an opportunity to own one.

Ordered in mid Aug. Dealer had one on order and received notice of build date with last day [day I was there] to make any changes in the order.

I changed the color [Pacfic Blue], added the trailer hitch option [to trailer my motorcycles] and received the SSR 09/08. Happy!

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Happy in Dallas, Welcome DA to the fanatic world of SSR's .... Hope you can join us on our upcoming Fall SSR ride to Lake Murray Oct. 23.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Danko said:
I see a lot of decent deals on leftover SSR's and related discussions. As a person that orders a lot of new cars and trucks and wants his new vehicles exactly the way he does and cannot see settling for dusty leftovers, I wonder who here actually ordered theirs. I see people traveling and shipping across states and buying SSR's with options and colors that are not their first choice and probably w/o some stuff they would prefer. For the amounts ya'll are paying, this is bewildering to me. Why not just wait until late in the model year, when there are factory incentives, and just order your SSR EXACTLY how you want it? I am considering doing that and since I see no evidence of anyone else doing that I cannot help but wonder why. thnx!
Ordered mine through a local dealer. Got exactly what I wanted for an 04 in March 04. Dealer had problems with there allocation. Was told by salesman that the 05 would have the 6.0 motor. Cancelled the 04, and reordered the 05 with the same options, Got truck in Sept. 04. Paid cash, :eek (over $50,000.00), and it has been worth every penny I spent. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. :cheers

·
Registered
615 Posts
Got mine off ebay great price. 05 Aqua Blur, 6 speed, b package, running boards, etc. Test Drove before bid. Heritage Chevrolet in Auburn, Illinois (82 miles from where I live). They get them new untitled from the Chevrolet "Smart Auction" some are Chevrolet Show Cars, Auto Show in Motion, etc. Mine had 21 miles before my long test drive. Where I live the Chevy Dealers will NOT let you test drive one with a signed contract to purchase (Pure Bull****) Heritage people handed me the keys and told me to come back when I was done driving (Not coping my driver's license, Not making a signed contact to buy, Not leaving Wife and Kids, etc.). They have sold 4 NEW SSR's on Ebay with NO Reserve from $33,575.00 to $37,700.00.
So, why order one or go for the Bastard Child of Chevrolet Discount.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To get it EXACTLY like you want it missing nothing you want and having nothing you do not want!

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Ordered

:) :) :) :)

I ordered my 2003 SSR on 7/15/2003. Sat down with sales manager and salesman and picked just what I wanted. My dealer was fortunate to have one of the first 20 allocations for a 2003 SSR.

Delivery was scheduled for October 2003 but delays with production pushed that into November 2003. I only ordered items that could not be added later like Slingshot Yellow color.

Price was at MSRP. The dealer said that he would sell me any accessory later at 2% over cost. Why pay $900 for boards from the factory when I could bolt them on for $649.

I plan to do the same on my 2007. :D :D :D :D :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts