Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why my new 05 with the console gauge cluster has a outside temp. reading that only goes to 100 degrees, while some other SSR'S have the 120 degree temp? The day I bought my truck last week, it was 105, but of course my gauge maxed out at 100. This seems like a step backward if Chevrolet was going to improve it's function...... :confused

·
Registered
110 Posts
You are lucky...our '04 doesn't have an outside temp gauge (at least we've never found one) and we've often wondered outloud why in the heck a $40k plus vehicle without one. Over 100 and the top probably stays up too, eh? :cool

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Hey, but our 04's have got that valuable "Gallons per Hour' guage. :jester How do you 05's get by without knowing how many GPH you are running?

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
$2.61 for regular

big-daddy said:
Hey, but our 04's have got that valuable "Gallons per Hour' guage. :jester How do you 05's get by without knowing how many GPH you are running?
At these prices in CA...I don't WANT to know :glol :glol :glol

·
Registered
416 Posts
Useless gauges

I've had my '05 for about two weeks, and have found the temp gauge virtually useless. It's small enough and far enough away from my eyes that about all I can tell is that, yeah, it's somewhere between 80 and 100 degrees outside!

For that matter, the torque gauge is equally useless (to me), and while the voltmeter is better than nothing, an ampmeter would be much more meaningful.

I don't mind having them down there, though, because they look "cool." However, for my money, I'd much rather have a digital outside temperature readout available in the D.I.C.

And while we're on the subject, where's the compass?

·
Registered
740 Posts
JAustin said:
I've had my '05 for about two weeks, and have found the temp gauge virtually useless. It's small enough and far enough away from my eyes that about all I can tell is that, yeah, it's somewhere between 80 and 100 degrees outside!

For that matter, the torque gauge is equally useless (to me), and while the voltmeter is better than nothing, an ampmeter would be much more meaningful.

I don't mind having them down there, though, because they look "cool." However, for my money, I'd much rather have a digital outside temperature readout available in the D.I.C.

Yea, that outside temperature guage is useless.

I've already refered it to a lawyer. After I die from freezing to death because I drove around with the top down and it was too cold, I'm suing GM!

Or at least my heirs are! :lol

·
Registered
740 Posts
JAustin said:

Useless! Useless! The guages support the ashtray! How can you call that useless?

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
temp compass onstar

04 ssr is the best vehicle i have had & have had several corvettes etc etc
have had onstar & wonder why it's not an option
would not or did not matter to me
one thing i miss that i have had on the last 5 or 6 vehicles is the compass/thermometer in the monochrome mirror & again why not in the ssr's
they do have that mirror but not the thermo/compass

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,598 Posts
Interference with the Roof

czh7c4 said:
04 ssr is the best vehicle i have had & have had several corvettes etc etc
.... one thing i miss that i have had on the last 5 or 6 vehicles is the compass/thermometer in the monochrome mirror & again why not in the ssr's
they do have that mirror but not the thermo/compass
This topic has been discussed in earlier threads. I had been told by a few GM engineers last summer at the 05 SSR Event in Athens, Michigan that the reason why the SSRs don't have On Star, compass and a temp read out is due to the fact that their is some interference due to, in part anyways, the roof mechanism which seems to cause them to go hay wire. I was also told that it will work for awhile but when you travel South for any length of time it will suddenly start to lose its bearings and give you false read outs. :confused

Perhaps they will come up with a remedy for that issue.

·
OP
8,225 Posts
Marc NY said:
This topic has been discussed in earlier threads. I had been told by a few GM engineers last summer at the 05 SSR Event in Athens, Michigan that the reason why the SSRs don't have On Star, compass and a temp read out is due to the fact that their is some interference due to, in part anyways, the roof mechanism which seems to cause them to go hay wire. I was also told that it will work for awhile but when you travel South for any length of time it will suddenly start to lose its bearings and give you false read outs. :confused

Perhaps they will come up with a remedy for that issue.
travelin south huh?
dat's cause we just now gots da runnin water and is spectin' e-l-e-c-tricy sum time whens we can dam up da river...in door plumin' is on da way too, ain't it Luann???

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have a question. Why is it that other Chevy vehilces can the outside temp in the D.I.C. ? What is the difference between the computers. I thought that they can program it with whatever they want. It can't be that hard to do.

Is it me or am I the only one that feels this way?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
outside temp

Put your hand out the window and feel if it's cool enough to put the top down. That's all I need to know about the outside temp. :lol :lol

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,598 Posts
No reason you can't have temp reading ...

Brownhornet said:
I have a question. Why is it that other Chevy vehilces can the outside temp in the D.I.C. ?
I have to say I don't ever recall seeing a temperature readout in a DIC before. However, I would agree with you I don't see any reason why Chevy couldn't include the temp. reading in the D.I.C. or better yet in the mirror where it is much easier to read. Way up north its nice to know when it will reach freezing... when the ICE shows up in the mirror means... don't go over 100 when you pass over that icy bridge. :lol

·
Registered
601 Posts
Marc NY said:
I have to say I don't ever recall seeing a temperature readout in a DIC before. However, I would agree with you I don't see any reason why Chevy couldn't include the temp. reading in the D.I.C. or better yet in the mirror where it is much easier to read. Way up north its nice to know when it will reach freezing... when the ICE shows up in the mirror means... don't go over 100 when you pass over that icy bridge. :lol

Hey Marc,

In the Chevy Colbat it has the temp in the DIC. I test drove one and it had it. That is were my question came from. I think if you go to the web site. It says it there also.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Guages block ashtray

Hey,
My guages block my ashtray from staying open. Does anyone else have this problem?
Zack

·
OP
8,225 Posts
Zack said:
Hey,
My guages block my ashtray from staying open. Does anyone else have this problem?
Zack
Your guages are installed incorrectly. Had the same problem on delivery, but dealer removed some carpet and padding and reinstalled. Now he screwed up the carpet as well and had to replace all the carpet, but that was a fluke. Watch them anyway. My ashtray works fine now, i wish it was just a storage area instead.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,598 Posts
Too much padding under gauges

Zack said:
Hey,
Zack
There are plenty of threads dealing with that issue. The reason it blocks the ash tray from opening properly is that not enough of the padding was taken out and the gauges are sitting too high. Thus they will interfere with the ashtray. Either you or your dealer (depending on who installed them) will need to remove more of the carpet/ padding.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts