Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car buying is so primitive. The entire process seems designed to irritate me. Ideally I'd like the local dealership to have a couple internet computers to place my order, a couple accounting types to process my credit, and a 100 highly paid and happy service people to take care of my vehicle.

Instead I have to wander around New Jersey trying to find all these hard to get to dealerships, arguing and negotiating with a bunch of pushy salesmen.

Then when I get it my local dealer's service department won't want to deal with me, and I'll have to spend a lot of time worrying about my vehicle.

And east coast service departments ain't like I'm used to in Indiana. I used to be able to take my bmw in every six months, pay them to detail it out, and they'd take care of all the service and recall crap.

Well, that's off my chest! :)
 
G

·
doug...sorry to hear about your experiences.....i guess us small rural dealers are just different.....matter fact, it isnt unusual to have our customers come visit us and have some minor service work done (like a 14.95 oil change) and ask us if we could wash there vehicle....time provided, we not only wash it, but give a real detail....and im not sure anyone has ever been charged for that wash job....

we dont have all the gizmos and gadgets of the big time dealerships...than again, we tend to like being small enough to know you...yet large enough to serve you...

if your ever in the north carolina area.....look me up....you might be surprised how country aint what it used to be :nono :thumbs :flag
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
670 Posts
He Dougnc,

Where in NJ are you located ? If close, we could meet up. I don't have the best dealer in the world but they are more afraid of me that I am of them. The guys in the parts department take real good care of me so no complaints there. :) :) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Pushy Customers

Dougnc,
One way to get over the pushy salesperson, is come in, pick out the vehicle you want, then pay the sticker price. Last time I checked, I was never pushy when the customer did this. Seems that the only time I ever hear a complaint from a customer is when I sell the vehicle to them at $100-$200 over dealer invoice, or when I will not sell it to them for below invoice. Just spent the last three days dealing with a "Gentleman" who has offered me $30,000.00 for a $42,000.00 Buick. I keep telling him we appriciate his business but can't do that, and he keeps coming back the next day. Makes for a grat day :) I truly hope you find what your looking for.
Mike :cool
 

·
Growing Older but Not Up
Joined
·
1,350 Posts
Answer to your question

Doug, I am PM ing you information that will help you find what you want.
 
G

·
Were not pushy down here in Georgia! I will sell you a new car at invoice, and give you the rebates, and great service.

Our service center is top- notch. We do $50,000 a month in service just for the local area Police, immigration, and other public service vehicles. They do not have to come here to get their cars worked on, they just do. Even the Govenor's suburban will make the trip here to get service.

Too bad you are in NJ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,454 Posts
I pretty much went to every dealership in the area in Va. Bch. before I found a great mechanic at Priority Chevrolet in Chesapeake to work on my SSR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OneBowTie said:
doug...sorry to hear about your experiences.....i guess us small rural dealers are just different.....matter fact, it isnt unusual to have our customers come visit us and have some minor service work done (like a 14.95 oil change) and ask us if we could wash there vehicle....time provided, we not only wash it, but give a real detail....and im not sure anyone has ever been charged for that wash job....

we dont have all the gizmos and gadgets of the big time dealerships...than again, we tend to like being small enough to know you...yet large enough to serve you...

if your ever in the north carolina area.....look me up....you might be surprised how country aint what it used to be :nono :thumbs :flag
In New Jersey they don't detail your vehicle. Period. That was a big shock to me. The BMW dealer in Indy really pushed the detailing. I'd bring my vehicle in every six months, they'd spoof it up, do anything that needed to be done, and we were both happy.

And they charged big time for the wash! :lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tms02 said:
Were not pushy down here in Georgia! I will sell you a new car at invoice, and give you the rebates, and great service.

Our service center is top- notch. We do $50,000 a month in service just for the local area Police, immigration, and other public service vehicles. They do not have to come here to get their cars worked on, they just do. Even the Govenor's suburban will make the trip here to get service.

Too bad you are in NJ.
Are you in Atlanta?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bcbear10 said:
He Dougnc,

Where in NJ are you located ? If close, we could meet up. I don't have the best dealer in the world but they are more afraid of me that I am of them. The guys in the parts department take real good care of me so no complaints there. :) :) :)
New Brunswick.

One problem is that I'm not pushy. I don't really want to become an expert mechanic and fight with the service department ot get stuff done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Watch Six said:
Dougnc,
One way to get over the pushy salesperson, is come in, pick out the vehicle you want, then pay the sticker price. Last time I checked, I was never pushy when the customer did this. Seems that the only time I ever hear a complaint from a customer is when I sell the vehicle to them at $100-$200 over dealer invoice, or when I will not sell it to them for below invoice. Just spent the last three days dealing with a "Gentleman" who has offered me $30,000.00 for a $42,000.00 Buick. I keep telling him we appriciate his business but can't do that, and he keeps coming back the next day. Makes for a grat day :) I truly hope you find what your looking for.
Mike :cool
Nobody has exactly the vehicle I want. With BMW I could just go in and order what I wanted.
 
G

·
Watch Six is right! :thumbs
I've been selling cars for 29 years, and the people who pay you a decent profit on a car, (and now that I'm selling Porsche's for 6 years, many times it's MSRP) are the happiest customers. They never gripe, or complain, always give you good survey scores, and recommend their friends, and relatives. AND bring people at the dealership candy, cookies, and baked goods at Christmas:angel
It's the A-Holes who beat you down to nothing that are never happy, ALWAYS P****** & moaning about something, always want everything for FREE, and fry you on surveys! :reddevil
It's ALWAYS been that way, no matter what kind of cars I've sold, especially domestic ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
dealerships

my personal pet peeve is when i go to buy a car the dealership always adds a lot of dealer installed extras. i would like to go to a dealership and pick out the add ons that i want without having to get stuck with expensive useless accessories that the dealers added to jack up the price. i have been looking for a red 05 ssr with a six speed and painted wheels but all i can find is either automatic or six speed with chrome wheels. the dealers add the chrome to jack up their price/sales commision. i don't like the way it looks and nothing else about the styling matches the chrome. why can't they just leave the cars alone until they sell them and then add what the purchaser wants to buy, not what the dealer wants to sell.



:confused :mad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Dealer Add Ons

Comley,
Dealers order their cars and truck base on the demographics of their area. If a dealer knows that a certain type of vehicle with certain options will sell quicker than another, he will order that vehicle. In California, we don't ad options on SSR, (at least my dealership), unless the customers want them. When we order an SSR, we put those options that we know 95% of the customers want or demand. If you want a vehicle a specific way, sit down with your friendly salesperson, pick out the equipmen and options YOU want, then order the vehicle YOU want. 6-8 weeks later, theres your personal ride.
Mike :cool
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Watch Six said:
Comley,
Dealers order their cars and truck base on the demographics of their area. If a dealer knows that a certain type of vehicle with certain options will sell quicker than another, he will order that vehicle. In California, we don't ad options on SSR, (at least my dealership), unless the customers want them. When we order an SSR, we put those options that we know 95% of the customers want or demand. If you want a vehicle a specific way, sit down with your friendly salesperson, pick out the equipmen and options YOU want, then order the vehicle YOU want. 6-8 weeks later, theres your personal ride.
Mike :cool
I tried ordering one last month. Dealers just aren't being allocated many. And now the factory is closed down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
allocation

Dougnc,
Call around the area and find a dealer who has allocation and is willing to order at your price. If that's not possible, try to find the vehicle nearest to what you want and go from there. As I have stated in the past, if you wait too long, there will not be anything to get. Its like going to Home Depot for the big sales event. If you get there early, you get what you want, but if you wait til the afternoon you get the leftovers that nobody wants.
Mike :cool
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top