Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
High Plains Roadster
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there one (or maybe two or three) reasons why an SSR is relatively heavy for its size?

Yes, it is a body-on-frame vehicle but is that all?

All the works for the retracting roof should add weight but how much is that?

Just curious.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Is there one (or maybe two or three) reasons why an SSR is relatively heavy for its size?

Yes, it is a body-on-frame vehicle but is that all?

All the works for the retracting roof should add weight but how much is that?

Just curious.
Anytime you make a roadster/convertible car/truck, you have to add structural rigidity cause there is no solid roof structure to stabilize the whole body. Most all convertibles have extra frame members and supports for that reason.:|

·
Registered
170 Posts
What surprised me is the towing capacity is only 2500#, and my Tundra which weighs about the same has capacity of 4500# with less hp, and smaller brakes.

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,994 Posts
Full frame. All steel. Multiple roof panels and all of the hydraulics to run the top. Substantial body (and especially around the windshield frame) reinforcements.

The towing limitation is due to the limits of the cooling system not the frame, brakes, or other systems.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I've sniffed around the truck looking for ways to put her on a diet but haven't had much luck. Sure, you can do away with a few tid bits here and there. But to save a few hundred pounds would require major surgery and possibly put things in jeopardy. I ended up accepting the fact that I brought a fat girl to the dance and that's who I'm gonna dance with. At least she's shapely!!!

·
High Plains Roadster
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Full frame. All steel. Multiple roof panels and all of the hydraulics to run the top. Substantial body (and especially around the windshield frame) reinforcements."

Yup. It all makes sense. Thanks for the info.

They say that true love is when you love someone(thing?) with all their faults and limitations, even more because of them.

Guess that means it's true love for me and my hefty SSR.

BTW, when looking into this, I found that a 2005 C6 Corvette curb weight was 3130 lbs. while an SSR with the same engine is about 4700 lbs.

That means an SSR is 50% heavier than the Vette. Geez!!

I wonder how nimble I would be if someone put a pack with half my bodyweight on my back????

·
Premium Member
6,763 Posts
What surprised me is the towing capacity is only 2500#, and my Tundra which weighs about the same has capacity of 4500# with less hp, and smaller brakes.
Your "tuna" :frown2: and the SSR :smile2: are two completely different types of vehicles, so don't compare them. Compare your tuna with an Chevrolet Silverado :smile2:, Ford F150 :smile2: or a Dodge Ram :smile2:, 3 great American vehicles. tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
2,383 Posts
"Full frame. All steel. Multiple roof panels and all of the hydraulics to run the top. Substantial body (and especially around the windshield frame) reinforcements."

Yup. It all makes sense. Thanks for the info.

They say that true love is when you love someone(thing?) with all their faults and limitations, even more because of them.

Guess that means it's true love for me and my hefty SSR.

BTW, when looking into this, I found that a 2005 C6 Corvette curb weight was 3130 lbs. while an SSR with the same engine is about 4700 lbs.

That means an SSR is 50% heavier than the Vette. Geez!!

I wonder how nimble I would be if someone put a pack with half my bodyweight on my back????
The R is fairly well balanced though - I'll bump a thread "SSR weight" that has the #s.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Get over it............

Get over it Guys, it is a extremely nice "Cruiser" that everyone doesn't have. Now, having said that, some are very "Sudden Cruisers". But if you want to do a decent 1/4 mile you will spend big bucks and tear up a lot of parts. But if you just want to impress the boys down at the service station, my truck really works.

I think Mike said it best in a conversation the other day, "It all depends if you want to Look Fast or Go Fast".

Another food for thought, in Picayune,(very small town in southern MS) I have seen 9 Corvettes, and my SSR.

Another thought, next time you slide in or out of your truck, think about what it would require for you to get in that 3130# Corvette.

Jack

·
RED SLED
435 Posts
Get over it Guys, it is a extremely nice "Cruiser" that everyone doesn't have. Now, having said that, some are very "Sudden Cruisers". But if you want to do a decent 1/4 mile you will spend big bucks and tear up a lot of parts. But if you just want to impress the boys down at the service station, my truck really works.

I think Mike said it best in a conversation the other day, "It all depends if you want to Look Fast or Go Fast".

Another food for thought, in Picayune,(very small town in southern MS) I have seen 9 Corvettes, and my SSR.

Another thought, next time you slide in or out of your truck, think about what it would require for you to get in that 3130# Corvette.

Jack
Great answer :D

·
Daily Driver
8,776 Posts
Having the max weight over 6000 lbs subjects it to different Federal laws concerning fuel mileage and emissions to name a couple.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I'll go with "LOOK FAST" cause no matter how much $$$$$$$$ you throw in it, there is ALWAYS somebody faster and my pockets are not that deep..

·
My First Permagrin !
513 Posts
I've sniffed around the truck looking for ways to put her on a diet but haven't had much luck. Sure, you can do away with a few tid bits here and there. But to save a few hundred pounds would require major surgery and possibly put things in jeopardy. I ended up accepting the fact that I brought a fat girl to the dance and that's who I'm gonna dance with. At least she's shapely!!!
Hey Wizzr
I like my girl curvy, brash, powerful ,and she drops her top on demand .>:)
life is good ! permagrin ,Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
13 Participants
Jersey red
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing