Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen threads about values, miles, to drive or not to drive, I thought I would give another take on the SSR. I was looking for another hotrod and was looking at building a truck. I had it narrowed down to a 1968 Chevy C10 short bed. I started looking for a truck to build when I saw my SSR on a dealers lot. When I compared the cost of the SSR to the build cost of the C10 the SSR was a no brainer. I wanted an LS engine, overdrive, good handling, air and power everything. The SSR has all that. The other big thing for me was it is easier to get insurance on the SSR than it is on a custom built hotrod. Plus the biggest advantage to the SSR is I am driving it now rather than working on a truck for a year.

Another plus with the SSR is you can walk into an auto parts store and ask for a common part and get it with out racking your brain trying to remember what parts came from what cars. Try asking an auto parts counter guy for a set of plugs for a 73 Nova with a 496. That gets a big blank stare quickly.

So I am looking forward to making a couple more upgrades to the truck but my main plan is to drive the thing as much as I can.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
I have seen threads about values, miles, to drive or not to drive, I thought I would give another take on the SSR. I was looking for another hotrod and was looking at building a truck. I had it narrowed down to a 1968 Chevy C10 short bed. I started looking for a truck to build when I saw my SSR on a dealers lot. When I compared the cost of the SSR to the build cost of the C10 the SSR was a no brainer. I wanted an LS engine, overdrive, good handling, air and power everything. The SSR has all that. The other big thing for me was it is easier to get insurance on the SSR than it is on a custom built hotrod. Plus the biggest advantage to the SSR is I am driving it now rather than working on a truck for a year.

Another plus with the SSR is you can walk into an auto parts store and ask for a common part and get it with out racking your brain trying to remember what parts came from what cars. Try asking an auto parts counter guy for a set of plugs for a 73 Nova with a 496. That gets a big blank stare quickly.

So I am looking forward to making a couple more upgrades to the truck but my main plan is to drive the thing as much as I can.
Good comments, common parts are easy to get, but body parts and interior parts are like winning the Lottery. (not to easy)

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
SWT RYD, SWT RYD, don't scare Stlhotrod like that :laugh: In St. Louis you can just go over on the East Side across the Mississippi River and probably find most any part you're lookin' for. :laugh: The man is a Genius if he can build Hot Rods from "scratch" "t c d" :ssr

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,362 Posts
Sounds like a good sensible plan, Saint Louie!!! -- :smile2:

===============
David :black:

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Similar story- I purchased a 1951 studebaker pickup restomod that needed a new engine and a lot of updating. After spending $5000 and untold hours to get it on the road, it still drives like an old truck and lacks most of the modern convenience and safety features.. It is fun, but not something I would want to use regularly. My C5 vette is a great driver, but with advancing age, it is harder for my wife and I to get in and out of. Then I started looking at SSR's and found a great compromise. Sports car performance, reliability, modern conveniences and much easier entrance and exit. Here's to many enjoyable miles!

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
"Triple B" excellent post ... the older you get, the more you appreciate the modern conveniences of the SSR !!! Would you even attempt to go from the Right Coast to the Left Coast in your 51 Studebaker ... probably not, but you sure can do it in your C H E V R O L E T SSR !!! Hey :00000732: aboard from the Nashville, Tennessee, area. Bob Alexander :ssr had the old "girl" 9 years. :smile2:

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SWT RYD, SWT RYD, don't scare Stlhotrod like that :laugh: In St. Louis you can just go over on the East Side across the Mississippi River and probably find most any part you're lookin' for. :laugh: The man is a Genius if he can build Hot Rods from "scratch" "t c d" :ssr

Yes having all the pick a part places across the river is nice for a lot of stuff. I had been looking at spoilers for the SSR and went and picked a couple to try out. I found one that I think will work and be different than everyone else.

Building cars is fun because you are not bound by rules or must have this or that to them. My current project is a 68 Chevelle SS factory big block car. I did this one as a frame off. The frame was blasted and painted, all new suspension including tubular control arms and coil over suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes. All of the plumbing is stainless. The chassis is done and the body is back on it. Engine and transmission are all done. The rearend is out, blasted, painted and waiting to be put back together. Once I have that back in it will be drivable again.

Sense I have gotten the SSR I have not touched the Chevelle or any parts of it. And there are a lot of parts for it still. I guess I got side tracked again.

When the Chevelle is done I know now that it will get driven less than the SSR just because the SSR has more comfort features and will ride better, handle better, stop better and get better mileage. The one thing the Chevelle will have is that it will be faster because it has a bigger engine. Driving old cars are fun but they are still old cars and modern muscle cars out perform the old cars in almost every aspect there is.

·
Premium Member
2,864 Posts
Because it was too d...m hard getting in and out of a Corvette or Jaguar.

Jack
Agreed! (Although never considered a Jaguar)

It had to be a convertible and I also wanted to get two sets of golf clubs with plenty of room left for cooler and overnight bags. EVEN WITH THE TOP DOWN. This is not possible in any other roadster. Add to it the membership of this forum and ability to also attend car shows with something most have never seen.
Seemed like a no brainer

·
Registered
44 Posts
Similar story- I purchased a 1951 studebaker pickup restomod that needed a new engine and a lot of updating. After spending $5000 and untold hours to get it on the road, it still drives like an old truck and lacks most of the modern convenience and safety features.. It is fun, but not something I would want to use regularly. My C5 vette is a great driver, but with advancing age, it is harder for my wife and I to get in and out of. Then I started looking at SSR's and found a great compromise. Sports car performance, reliability, modern conveniences and much easier entrance and exit. Here's to many enjoyable miles!
nice story, my thoughts are similar, some day will get a SSR, just not soon,

not being able (although willing) to fix the ssr, decided to go with a new camaro,

still find myself enjoying this site and wanting one,someday on the bucket list,

if more of my so called friends were closer and worked on these the decision would have gone the other way
AGREED that it is nice to have modern conveniences and the

SSR fits those requirements

Jeff

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Wanted one when they first came out but at that time no extra $$$ to buy one, had a 340 4 speed Roadrunner to drive around but without air in Florida didn't drive it that much. Time to move on and get something I could enjoy, be more reliable and actually drive around. Having moved up to Tn. from the traffic congestion in Fl. I am enjoying the hell out of driving around on these roads up here. Will it loose money as a collector car because it's not a garage queen to me the fun and the enjoyment of driving it is worth more right now. Planned trips this year Daytona, Maggie Valley, maybe a run to Watkins Glen and Warren Robbins. See you on the road someday I'll be in the Purple R with the big grin on his face.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
I had an Aqua Blur as a company car while working for GM and wanted to purchase it however they wouldn't let me since it was a carryover model year that I took out of dealer stock. Ended up buying the lake house that we live in now.
After retiring from GM we saw several . on Hot Rod Power Tour down in Baton Rouge. I told wife they had a lot bigger trunk than our Camaro convertible with the top down. She told me to start looking for one when we got home. Found a yellow one in KC a week later and it was priced right so we bought it.
Now we have a lot bigger trunk for power tour and my wife makes sure to fill it up.

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
Oh, so you don't think the better half will fill all available space? Are you married?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts