Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And with the exception of putting Katskins on the seats, I realized that the value stock was a better collector choice. Originally I was going to do what I've done with other cars and enhance both the mechanics and the looks. This time I decided not to.

No flames, no pinstriping, no dressup and no power adders.. Anyone else feel that from a collector standpoint it's best left OE?

Maybe I'm just getting old.

·
Premium Member
7,680 Posts
And with the exception of putting Katskins on the seats, I realized that the value stock was a better collector choice. Originally I was going to do what I've done with other cars and enhance both the mechanics and the looks. This time I decided not to.

No flames, no pinstriping, no dressup and no power adders.. Anyone else feel that from a collector standpoint it's best left OE?

Agree with you fits fitfishr, only paid 13,000 for my highly modified 04 Slingshot Yellow 2 years ago (61 Chevy Tailights, Chrome covered motor, Red & Black Katskin, just to name of couple of changes) Since I'm climbing the calendar to 82, I don't care what my 2 children do with it. Refer to George Straits big hit "Just Give It Away" Mine is an every day driver and I'm enjoying it everyday , rain, sleet or snow !!! tennesseecozydog 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts

Maybe I'm just getting old
This is just my opinion. I think you have a really low percent of SSR owners buying their truck as a collector. Bought mine in September 2015 with 20,000 miles now has 78500. Definitely no collector or garage Queen. Bling is beautiful but keeping if shinny is a getting to be a pain.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
3,416 Posts
I would think safety upgrades would be a plus.... Really anything beyond internal motor work would help resale in my opinion. Internal work might indicate there was an issue in the past.
Agree with the above that majority of owners/buyers drive theirs and not park them in a bubble.

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
Premium Member 2004 Smokin' Asphalt
50,794 Posts
All of my modifications have been bolt on with the exception of the MPD spoiler, but in my opinion the SSR will not be a collector item in my lifetime.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,833 Posts
A few of our early members might recall that I even turned down a free Windsuppresser and other nice SSR add on options due to wanting to use only stock OEM GM accessories. However, over the years I have decided to add a number of great enhancement parts from Mike in AZ & Dicktator.
  • Stronger LST rear cargo struts
  • Replacement Air Dam
  • Black Powder Coated front frame stiffening plate
  • ABS shield
  • SSR carbon fiber hood emblem support bracket
  • Cargo LED light & fuse conversion
*I do believe that adding many of @Mike in AZ & @Dicktator products have definitely enhanced and even added more value to my SSR.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
823 Posts

This is looking at my actual decision & may give some indication of the situation from a buyer's perspective. I was in the market for a 2005/6 GTO and had looked at & investigated several. Almost all were out of state(GA) and I generally crossed those off that had been modified, particularly not easily reversible engine modifications due to my concern they may not pass the metro ATL smog test. So in that case you may limit several large metro markets due to the perceived difficulty of bringing the vehicle into compliance. One also wonders about the quality of the mods affecting maintenance & longevity. I ended up with two almost identical cars in Hickory, NC & ended up rejecting the one that was highly performance modified for the one I bought which, except for an SLP Loudmouth exhaust & tune is basically as delivered. It is very quick as it is & I am not looking to make any other mods at this time. BTW, it passed the emissions test with flying colors.
My $.02

·
Registered
2004 UV
1,312 Posts
I bought mine to enjoy and drive although I have added the basic improvements from Simple Engineering fan. air dam, support cross member, etc. and will keep it as stock as possible. Do I expect it to become a collector vehicle someday and make some big money I highly doubt it but again that isn't why I bought it. Everyone has a different reason for buying a possible collector vehicle to enjoy driving it and showing it off or turn it into a garage queen to stare at it hoping it will bring them some big bucks when the sell it that's what owning this type of vehicle is all about.

·
Premium Member
May 2017 ROTM 2005 Redline Red .
6,437 Posts
I bought mine because it was unique, I drive her weekly.
I made several suspension, performance, and looks improvements to make her want I wanted.
Who would know she has a Corvette servo, 410 rears gears, high stall converter, better sway bars, shocks, simple engineering items, she is better than I found her.

·
Slingshot Rules!
81,120 Posts

Very interesting, Fltsfshr . . .

I have never been big on "extreme mods" as I usually keep my vehicles for at least a decade . . . usually much longer.

However, improvements are frequently considered.

! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: !

·
Premium Member
2,947 Posts
Marc you are right, Mike is defiantly a a Value Added Guy!
Jack
(y)
I totally agree with the "added value" brought by having many of the SE shop items. When I was looking for an SSR, I was focused on getting a six speed if I could find one and it had some of these "extras".

Most of my rides (cars/trucks/Harleys) have been red in color. Really did want a red one, but when I found this one with the attached list of goodies, I was hooked and my wife and I flew to Las Vegas to buy it and drive it back to No. Carolina.

After Market Equipment
1 K&N Air Intake System $461.99
2 5" Simple Engineering Stainless Exhaust Tips $135.00
3 Simple Engineering Main Radiator Fan $449.41
4 Simple Engineering Auxillary Radiator Fan $240.00
5 Simple Engineering Lower Radiator Support $207.99
6 Simple Engineering Antilock Brake Heat Shield $48.99
7 Simple Engineering Front Frame Stiffening Plate $254.88
8 Simple Engineering Hood Emblem Support $130.00
9 Simple Engineering Hood Struts $136.00
10 Simple Engineering Deck Struts $135.00
11 Simple Engineering Roof Struts $194.99
12 SSR Logo Valve Stem Caps $17.75
13 Two factory rear Crossmembers na
14 Car Cover factory option (new) $ 230.00
15 Factory Ball Mount Hitch $398.00
16 MGP Caliper Covers $230.00
17 Custom Tune by Joe Delano $260.00
18 ZZR Hood liner $195.00
19 ZZR Engine Cover $175.00
20 ZZR Engine Cover Insert $74.00
21 ZZR Hood Nose Emblem, Smooth $75.00
22 Dragon2U Billet Caps 6 at $20 ea $120.00
23 Dragon2u Polished Aluminum Radiator Expansion tank $410.00
24 Dash Stepper Motors Replaced 5 at $20each $100.00
25 MDF Running Boards $1,177.00
26 Bell Teck Lowering kit $ 424.00
27 Polished Billet Grille Chevy Emblem $ 44.00
28 Z06 Clutch Package $ 2,100.00
29 Clutch fluid changed from Dot 4 to Dot 5 synthetic oil
30 Tail Gate shaved
31 Optima Battery $ 215.00
32 Lloyd Custom Bed Mat $ 230.00
33 New Paint $3200

·
Premium Member
2006 Pac Blue 6-Speed
794 Posts
I bought mine in March 2020 with 2,300 miles on her, a one owner, bone stock 2006 SSR. I’ve added many of @Mike in AZ ’s Simple Engineering reliability and performance enhancements, and also the spare tire kit, SE’s Muth mirrors for visibility and safety, cargo struts, and exhaust tips. I’ve added @Dicktator ‘s cargo light for safety, and his puddle lamps and dash mat. A new head unit with Bluetooth and navigation makes trips safer and minimizes distracted driving. A retro tailgate fabricated by Lonnie (Sinister) and the SE dropped and tucked running board brackets are the only appearance-related changes I’ve made thus far.

Judy and I have added 10,000 joy-filled miles to the odometer since March 2020. I plan to add about 8-10K miles a year in pleasant weather. The additional miles detract from the SSR’s value more than any of the changes. So be it.

To hell with resale value. I bought this SSR to enjoy when I retired, and if I put another 100K miles on her it will be more than worth it.

·
Premium Member
7,680 Posts
I bought mine in March 2020 with 2,300 miles on her, a one owner, bone stock 2006 SSR. I’ve added many of @Mike in AZ ’s Simple Engineering reliability and performance enhancements, and also the spare tire kit, SE’s Muth mirrors for visibility and safety, cargo struts, and exhaust tips. I’ve added @Dicktator ‘s cargo light for safety, and his puddle lamps and dash mat. A new head unit with Bluetooth and navigation makes trips safer and minimizes distracted driving. A retro tailgate fabricated by Lonnie (Sinister) and the SE dropped and tucked running board brackets are the only appearance-related changes I’ve made thus far.

Judy and I have added 10,000 joy-filled miles to the odometer since March 2020. I plan to add about 8-10K miles a year in pleasant weather. The additional miles detract from the SSR’s value more than any of the changes. So be it.

To hell with resale value. I bought this SSR to enjoy when I retired, and if I put another 100K miles on her it will be more than worth it.
"To hell with resale value" Best SSR 2021 Quote of the Year !!! 10 uh C cozydog 🇺🇸 (y)🇺🇸(y)🇺🇸(y)🇺🇸(y)🇺🇸

·
Premium Member
2005 aqua blur
296 Posts
I bought mine because it was unique, I drive her weekly.
I made several suspension, performance, and looks improvements to make her want I wanted.
Who would know she has a Corvette servo, 410 rears gears, I high stall convertor, better sway bars, shocks, simple engineering items, she is better than I found her.
I agree. We bought it for retirement fun. We made the improvements we wanted to improve the ride and those suggested here to avoid known issues. We put the top down and cruise around town, grinning all the way.

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,690 Posts
Doing my modifications has been part of my enjoyment, the other part is driving it and showing off my modifications.
My return on investment is not measured in dollars and cents, it is measured in pride and joy! :D

This is probably the reason why I do not have a good file of what I have purchased/done, I don't think about it that way.

None of this includes the priceless value of attending rallies, local meet and greets, all of the friends that I made and the memories I have because of this unique little truck !

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought mine for fun as well and initially, and as usual, I was thinking of some pretty heavy modifications. I bought it with 8000 miles, a couple aftermarket bars added but with all the factory options. I decided to keep it stock when I saw the rise in prices. Every other vehicle I've owned have been fun to do but all of them when I was done with them sold for a lot less than what I had in them.

The SSR is multifaceted. It's good for a lot of things but not special in one thing. That makes it unique. What the future holds i have no idea.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts