Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,708 Posts
Maybe if I had an Indy parade car, FPR, a rare color or a two tone, I might think this way. Except that it has factory chrome wheels, my Red 04 is probably the largest production run.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
10,043 Posts
Never bought any of ours for "resale".... grandkids have already shouted... "Dibs"... Basically Stock so it starts the First Time and every time, but have personalized them to satisfy ourselves... daily drivers...

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
4,831 Posts
I am a car nut and horse power junkie. There are not many of my vehicles that have not seen the drag strip. And many of them did it with a hit of nitrous oxide flowing through them. My friends used to say if I had a dump truck, it would probably have nitrous on it. When I got the SSR my second thought was how fast are they and how fast can I make mine. So I did a little research and then it hit me. These things are 4800 pounds. My heaviest race car is only 3000 my lightest was 2350 with me in it.

I quickly realized that racing it was not the best idea. So I did a few mods to one, The black 05 has a cat back system, and a tune it. The 05 AB has an upgrade exhaust as well . I have plans for the black 05 to get a lot more because I want to, not because it will be worth more money or will increase in value. It will be getting the engine pulled and gone through, Trans will either be upgraded with a new convertor or seeing how Mike's 4L80E installation goes, I may go that route. It will get a better cam, heads, intake, injectors, headers and exhaust. It will not be a lot faster but it will sound better and will have more power to back up the sound. But it will still be able to drive across the country or to the local burger joint. It just might be able to do it a little quicker.

I have watched prices and seen a lot of modified trucks not bring the same money as a basic stock truck will. I have also seen a couple of modified trucks that had a LOT of work done and they either run like crap or just not all in line with each other and the owners give up on them. Modern electronic fuel injected stuff needs a complete plan and needs it done together to see the benefits. Putting on a better intake with stock injectors and stock exhaust is not going to help but may hurt performance over what it ran stock.

Here is a thought we are all getting older and this is the time to enjoy our selves. Do what you want with it, but most of all enjoy it. If you do something that makes it less drivable then either change it back or make it where you can drive it and enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
843 Posts
I am a car nut and horse power junkie. There are not many of my vehicles that have not seen the drag strip. And many of them did it with a hit of nitrous oxide flowing through them. My friends used to say if I had a dump truck, it would probably have nitrous on it. When I got the SSR my second thought was how fast are they and how fast can I make mine. So I did a little research and then it hit me. These things are 4800 pounds. My heaviest race car is only 3000 my lightest was 2350 with me in it.

I quickly realized that racing it was not the best idea. So I did a few mods to one, The black 05 has a cat back system, and a tune it. The 05 AB has an upgrade exhaust as well . I have plans for the black 05 to get a lot more because I want to, not because it will be worth more money or will increase in value. It will be getting the engine pulled and gone through, Trans will either be upgraded with a new convertor or seeing how Mike's 4L80E installation goes, I may go that route. It will get a better cam, heads, intake, injectors, headers and exhaust. It will not be a lot faster but it will sound better and will have more power to back up the sound. But it will still be able to drive across the country or to the local burger joint. It just might be able to do it a little quicker.

I have watched prices and seen a lot of modified trucks not bring the same money as a basic stock truck will. I have also seen a couple of modified trucks that had a LOT of work done and they either run like crap or just not all in line with each other and the owners give up on them. Modern electronic fuel injected stuff needs a complete plan and needs it done together to see the benefits. Putting on a better intake with stock injectors and stock exhaust is not going to help but may hurt performance over what it ran stock.

Here is a thought we are all getting older and this is the time to enjoy our selves. Do what you want with it, but most of all enjoy it. If you do something that makes it less drivable then either change it back or make it where you can drive it and enjoy it.
As I have noted in several threads in the past, I'd love to see someone put a 6L80/90E in one of these automatic trucks. The gear spread looks perfect for the 3.73 axle ratio and I refuse to believe there is no way to shift one. Looking at dimensions either should fit with no problem, mostly longer so driveshaft would have to be shortened. GM's comes with a TCM and there are a couple of aftermarket choices & if you can make one work in a street rod why not an SSR?

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Agree with you fits fitfishr, only paid 13,000 for my highly modified 04 Slingshot Yellow 2 years ago (61 Chevy Tailights, Chrome covered motor, Red & Black Katskin, just to name of couple of changes) Since I'm climbing the calendar to 82, I don't care what my 2 children do with it. Refer to George Straits big hit "Just Give It Away" Mine is an every day driver and I'm enjoying it everyday , rain, sleet or snow !!! tennesseecozydog 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸
I agree with you. Drive it everyday and enjoy the Permagrin. 👍🇺🇸👀🤠

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Another thing that I think gets some people into trouble on late model stuff is they get one part from one place and another from some one else, then the two places blame each other for why it is not working together. The person programming the tune is also very vital in the entire over all picture, and if everything is not matched up, it becomes a night mare for the tuner to try to get the mismatched stuff to live and play happy together.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
@fltsfshr you may end up with one of the problems I had. I really like my Aqua Blur and I started out with the thoughts of not going to do anything crazy with it. Of my three it is the lowest mileage and nicest looking one of the bunch. When I went to the mini rally in Branson it hit me. My aqua blur looks just like almost all of the other ones. So I have to do something to it to give it a little personal touch. I am swapping the running boards for the after market ones. But I still have to find something to make it stand a part from the rest of the crowd. I haven't figured out what yet but I will know it when I find it and then I will leave it alone. My black 05 is a different story it will be one of those never ending projects. But it has some very unique things coming for it.

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
And with the exception of putting Katskins on the seats, I realized that the value stock was a better collector choice. Originally I was going to do what I've done with other cars and enhance both the mechanics and the looks. This time I decided not to.

No flames, no pinstriping, no dressup and no power adders.. Anyone else feel that from a collector standpoint it's best left OE?

Maybe I'm just getting old.
These will never be collector items. Enjoy them.

·
Registered
2005 Chevrolet SSR Smokin Asphalt
38 Posts
I certainly did not buy my SSR for the next guy, I bought it for me. So any modifications I make to it are to make it mine. None of the cars and trucks I've had in the past were bought to resale. Now granted, I have lost money on some of my toys, but that's exactly what the were, toys.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Respectfully I would disagree. One thing we can agree on however is time will tell. Scarcity and unique design influence collectible values.
I bought my SSR for fun and it is.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
I can tell you first hand that even well done mods won’t pay back. If I were to do it again, and wanted to consider my R as a “Collector “ car, I’d modestly drive it and keep the Miles low, maintain it and keep it cosmetically as perfect as you can.
Unless you have something special like a pace truck or final production model, do mods for you, not for the hope of financial return.

Reactions: DOOPHUS

·
Registered
2004 - Ricochet Silver
15 Posts
I would really like to change the cam and add headers but am concerned that any modifications to the drive train may detract from the value. However, I believe that the recommended upgrades and stiffening plates do add value.
I would really like to change the cam and add headers but am concerned that any modifications to the drive train may detract from the value. However, I believe that the recommended upgrades and stiffening plates do add value.
Do what you want, it’s your car, make it your own. I recently added a cam, melling hi volume oil pump, LS timing Chan set. Headers and cat back corsa exhaust. Underdrive pulley and high stall converter

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Very interesting, Fltsfshr . . .

I have never been big on "extreme mods" as I usually keep my vehicles for at least a decade . . . usually much longer.

However, improvements are frequently considered.

! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: !
kool.....but not about to say no to BBQ here in NC

·
Registered
13 Posts
And with the exception of putting Katskins on the seats, I realized that the value stock was a better collector choice. Originally I was going to do what I've done with other cars and enhance both the mechanics and the looks. This time I decided not to.

No flames, no pinstriping, no dressup and no power adders.. Anyone else feel that from a collector standpoint it's best left OE?

I read from a Hagerty Newsletter awhile back: the average age of a SSR owner is 67 years old. With this in mind the analysis was that the SSR is not going to be huge in future value. Younger drivers are not really into the SSR. (they do no know what they are missing). I like my 2005 with a super charger and long tube headers. I enjoy the 540HP at the crank and 475HP at the wheels.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I agree with you (including your comment about the Katskins. What a great product!). My 2006 only has about 11,000 miles, so there's no visible wear anywhere. Just love it as is. One possibility would the backup camera. Any thoughts on this?

·
Premium Member
2005 aqua blur
300 Posts
We installed a new Kenwood system with touchscreen, Bluetooth, backup camera, Blindspot monitor, XM radio. It interfaces with the steering wheel controls and has Garmin navigation. We really like it.

One thing we discovered was that while low mileage is great, the hoses, belts, bushings and rubber seal are 16 years old and needed replacing or extra care.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I agree with you (including your comment about the Katskins. What a great product!). My 2006 only has about 11,000 miles, so there's no visible wear anywhere. Just love it as is. One possibility would the backup camera. Any thoughts on this?
I put a solar powered blue tooth license plate cam on for when I tow my flats boat Works great.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts