Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is there an extra charge for YELLOW? I guess I could understand an extra charge on the Aquablur (maybe that type of 'changing-color' is harder to paint?). Also, I think I've read that it is harder to paint black (shows flaws?), but no extra charge there.

Considering the price of the car, an extra $350 is really not a big deal to pay for ANY color if you want it, but I'm just curious why they charge extra.

I know Dodge charges extra for the RED on the Magnum, so maybe this is a common practice.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I know why. The yellow base coat paint is EXPENSIVE. When I couldn't find any touch-up paint locally, I went to have a pint (the least they will mix) mixed up at my local paint store. The yellow paint in PPG brand was $ 59.80 a pint. If you do the math that's almost $ 480.00 a gallon. I figure it would take 2-1/2 to 3 gallons to paint an SSR. The other colors are much less expensive.

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
yes yellow is more

the pigment is very expensive and it needs to be dense to cover. some one in your area should mix a touch up bottle instead of gobs you'll never use. 6 to 10 bucks. and they will check that it maches.
:flag

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got my touch up paint stick free from the dealer the week after I got my SSR.
I got one rock chip on the hood, and small as it was, it took me a WEEK to get it right. :cuss
I always apply a small amount, let dry, buff it down, then repeat until it's even, but it was ALWAYS too dark! :mad
I finally applied white touch up paint FIRST, then used yellow, now no one can tell but me. :thumbs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts