Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you ever say "WHY ME". Last week I installed my new leather & chrome steering wheel. The weather here has been rainy and haven't driven the "TOY". Tuesday night went to back it out of the garage and the steering felt stiff at certain times and made a grinding noise. Drove it around the block and knew something isn't right. Put it in the garage and pulled new steering wheel off did not see any thing out of place. Reinstalled old wheel and same thing, grinding noise. Was going to drop column but after removing panels and saw what it involved decided against that. Got my mirror and small flashlight and after bending like a pretzel finally found the problem. There is a clamp that goes over the 2 pieces of the shaft. When I tapped on the nut with a brass rod to pull steering wheel somehow it moved this clamp against the frame of the dash. Pryed it away and tightened the bolt and all is good. Probably was never tight from factory. The only good thing is while I have every thing apart will install new Ignition switch. But again "WHY ME"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Was it a loud grinding noise, sometimes I hear a noise coming from mine every once in awhile not very loud though. What does the clamp actually do?

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was it a loud grinding noise, sometimes I hear a noise coming from mine every once in awhile not very loud though. What does the clamp actually do?
It is a grinding noise when you turn the wheel. It was real loud and steering felt like it was binding up. After awhile noise was faint but still there. Don't know why clamp is there. It is over 2 pieces of rod that one slides it to the other. Probable for easy installation on assembly line. if you are small you can get your head under dash and look at steering shaft. I had to use mirror and light.

·
Ms Donna's Driver
04’ Silver and 05’ Sinister
5,247 Posts
Sounds like you are getting to know your truck in a very personal but aggravating way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts