Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent some time thinking about my SSR and the bussiness plan that G.M. had for this truck.
I would like to hear comments on why the SSR ended up with the sales number that they did. Were to many made ? Not enough ?
As a proud owner it boggles the my mind that there are not more running around.
We all share stories of how well this product was recieved. Everywhere we go the general public falls all over this ride.

Was marketing poorly done ?
Was it to costly ?
Was it to radical ?
Was it to whatever ?
Was it not enough of whatever ?

Some thoughts???????????????????

Scott Doran #201

·
Registered
480 Posts
Scott Doran said:
I have spent some time thinking about my SSR and the bussiness plan that G.M. had for this truck.
I would like to hear comments on why the SSR ended up with the sales number that they did. Were to many made ? Not enough ?
As a proud owner it boggles the my mind that there are not more running around.
We all share stories of how well this product was recieved. Everywhere we go the general public falls all over this ride.

Was marketing poorly done ?
Was it to costly ?
Was it to radical ?
Was it to whatever ?
Was it not enough of whatever ?

Some thoughts???????????????????

Scott Doran #201
In my opinion, it was too expensive when it first came out and the greedy dealers put the kiss of death to it when they tried to charge up to a $10,000 premium for the PLEASURE of owning one. There was a limited market at best for this truck and the ignorant auto store owners pissed off the first buyers who were interested in buying the truck and since the market was limited, there were no other buyers behind them. Bad news travels much faster then good news. Also, the General could have put a more powerful engine in when they first came out. After all this was supposed to be a semi hot rod. When they didn't, the limited market became disenchanted and turned away and never came back. Even though the truck was designed great inside and out and was a bold statement by the General, I am afraid stupidity on their part and the store owners killed it. It's a sad commentary but I love mine and like many of you, will take it to the grave. :bs

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Flawed Plan from the Start

Two things- in the rush to get to production and "prove they could do it", GM proceeded with a flawed business plan that was based on 15K units per year for five years, at a market price of $45K on average. This rush to get to market created several design compromises, the biggest of which was the 5.3 instead of the LS-2 from the start.

The market for this vehicle was never that large, but it was very passionate(that's us). Did they meeth their sales goals? No. But the vehicle found its niche and price point, both much lower than estimated by GM. During these times of financial distress for GM, there is no way it could survive, but sooner or later it was destined to become extinct. After its all said and done, the limited production will make this a very special vehicle to own and I think we'll see prices bottom out and stabilize one the supply is exausted. GM and Chevy are both better off for having produced the SSR, but they should have learned some valuable lessons about their idnetity and the markets expectations.

my .02

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Joe Schuhriemen said:
In my opinion, it was too expensive when it first came out and the greedy dealers put the kiss of death to it when they tried to charge up to a $10,000 premium for the PLEASURE of owning one. Also, the General could have put a more powerful engine in when they first came out.

These are the main reasons I think it failed to be a bigger deal. On the other hand, I got one, where others failed to take notice the potential of it.

Their loss is my gain.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Generally what I call compromise vehicles have trouble. The SSR has great retro styling but that is a limited market just like the retractable roof is. As a truck, it sucks. As a performance vehicle it was sadly lacking out of the gate and even now is not available with a competitive automatic (a stinkin' four speed is NOT what should be in an '06! - there are 6, 7 and 8 speed automatics out there!). Most importantly was the fact that there was too much floor space and fixed cost tied up with a limited production vehicle. If they had offered the fixed roof and possibly other variations and kept the line moving, it might have done much better. Because of its weight, 400 h.p. is not competitive in its price range today. For Christ's sake!!!!!!! They are stickering over $50K !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Prowler faced the same situation but at least it was built with another vehicle to keep their plant running most of the time. As a halo vehicle it was quite successful and drew people into showrooms and many of them bought something else.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,830 Posts

I agree with everything said. And the first SSR in local Dealer showed up in 05.

·
Registered
97 Posts
What happened?

As usual another case of GM messing up a good thing. Bad marketing-how many times do we still get our babies out and someone asks us "what is that"? Over priced? well my 2500HD stickered for more than my SSR and while it works like heck is not near as fun to drive-so I call that a draw. I am happy with my 5.3's performance while still getting decent fuel economy but it should have had the 6.0 or more to start with, it is looked at as a performance vehicle by most people that do know what it is. GM needs to quit giving out the 7 figure bonuses to the brass that doesnt know brass, and spend more of thier time and money on marketing the good products they have and standing behind thier dealer body that has to sell thier products and they may take back some of the market share they have let slip away the last several years. The SSR should have used to catch peoples attention to the Chevrolet brand and get people into the show rooms but instead you hardly ever saw a SSR ad on TV-what a shame:nodno

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Went I went into the dealer's showroom and looked at the first '03 in this area. They had a price of $1000.00 over the MSRP. That pi**ed me off.:mad So I said KEEP IT. Two years later I bought an new '04 for $17,000.00 under MSRP. So I say GM go do the math. :eek

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
I checked it out in the beginning and thought as many others, not what is was intended to be and passed on it. There was absolutely no marketing in my area and never heard of or saw one again. Same thing happened to the Xtreme line, they marketed it as a modern version of the 90's Typhoon/Syclones, AWD,
LT1, T-5 trans. concept, SUV/truck/Blazer whatever you want to call it, version Then when they came out with a 6 cylinder, auto, RWD, I was dissappointed.

While the 90's Typhoons and Syclones have kept their market value, the Xtreme's, Impala SS's and probably & unfortunately, IMO, the SSr will not either, but I still LOVE IT! Stay tuned, we shall all see in the months and years to come if our predictions were correct. Something else will come up, but it will not be the Camaro. GM announced, Retro Mustang sales are too high to compete with and with all the Publicity of the Challenger, thanks to the naked chick LOL, they are not even going to try for fear of a total loss to these 2.

Years later now, on Oahu, we experienced the dreaded BS mark up of $10,000, they wanted $58K, said location, location, location, prime real estate, overhead all that BS and I said no thanks and they called every week for 3 months. Found mine on Maui months later at less than $50K.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
The idea was GREAT BUT,..The whole concept was poorly planned and executed from the start. The truck in my opnion was solely made as a promo vehicle. It would appear that GM really didn't want to sell this truck in any kind of numbers because they really didn't do much to try to make that happen. Chevrolet needed to bolster there image (as Plymouth also did with the Prowler) and so the SSr was hastily cobbeled up to do the job of bringing people to Chevy dealers to look at it but buy something else. Think back to 1953 sound familliar? The similarities between the 6cly "parts bin" Corvette of that era and the SSr are quite the same. What the SSr does not have is a Zora Duntov on its side to save it from extinction. Both started as halo concept units rushed into production still with many pre production type build flaws but still pleanty of showroom WoW appeal. I think once Chevy got out of the SSr what they wanted they just lost interest in it and no one at Chevrolet was willing to put the finishing touches of refinement and engineering in the SSR to take it from a saleble concept to a highly refined sports truck roadster that we could have today. This is why even late model SSrs still have tinks, clinks, and such. Our beloved trucks are more or less saleable concept cars lacking real world final refinement and engineering that most other new cars and trucks usually get before heading for the showrooms. This is one reason I was attracted to the SSr and why I tell people here to stop fooling around with driveline sounds etc. because it simply can't be fixed by a Dealer it needs engineering refinments that Chevy quite simply isn't going to invest in for us. I think they feel if someone is so unhappy with it they will just do a case by case buy back on each Truck rather than invest more money into it to make it right. Its indeed flawed but then again so am I, and I love it all the more because its so very unique and special. :ssr

·
Premium Member
5,744 Posts
:agree with Ricochet, another perfect example of a good thing gone wrong and it's too bad because so many of us all love the darn things!

4 times yesterday, what's that? a Kit car? a Boyd Custom? a Street Rod? an electric car? yeah lady, til I lit 'em up down the street and roared off into the distance. If I do this :ssr the tourists about pee their pants:glol

·
Registered
153 Posts
Can you say Holden

GM should have started with a re-body of the Holden SS Ute (Australian El Camino)
This would and could have led to a hole rang of rear wheel drive cars that GM badly needs in the U.S.A.:flag
Why should the Aussies have all the fun............

·
Registered
158 Posts
ssr

These babies will be worth more than the average vette in a few years. Marketing was a major flaw. Chevy should have put LS 2 in right away. LS 7 in 05S. Even with the price I think she would have flow. I see to many people with a lot of money that walk up and get all excited over this vehicle. This was a four year run by design. If chevy wants the muscle market they had better put the LS 7 in the camaro. Do not let the 6.1 dodge out do the camaro with a punny 425 hp.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Price

When first announced, I saw figures like $35k. I thought, hey I can afford $35k.
But 3 years later, sticker was $45k...AND of 17 dealers that I personally visited only ONE was going to offer it at MSRP and that one eventually told me that even though I was first on the list, the owner was going to take the first one and I could have the second! I heard quotes from $5k to $20k over MSRP or even "we're going to take the highest bidder".

I've been on this board 3 years now (wow has it been that long :eek ) and I saw a lot of people just throw their hands up and walk away to buy something else because of the pricing and run around from dealers....and I bet that winds up affecting a lot of future business as well as people can hold grudges when the get pissed off.

I think that for a lot of people that liked the SSR, price was the biggest reason they didn't buy it (but I have been wrong before......just can't remember when:jester )

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Price was a big factor for me. When I first started looking, a dealer was asking $52 for a truck that listed at $48. When I asked why he told me "because I can". :reddevil That attitude put me off for 2years, but I finally got a deal I could live with, but only because we were persistent in our search. So glad I found "Betsy Blue".:seeya

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
GM, Don't Blow it on the Camaro.....

walleye said:
These babies will be worth more than the average vette in a few years. Marketing was a major flaw. Chevy should have put LS 2 in right away. LS 7 in 05S. Even with the price I think she would have flow. I see to many people with a lot of money that walk up and get all excited over this vehicle. This was a four year run by design. If chevy wants the muscle market they had better put the LS 7 in the camaro. Do not let the 6.1 dodge out do the camaro with a punny 425 hp.
Ditto :agree

RickSSR :cool

·
Premium Member
31,669 Posts
No LS2 in 2003

I know everyone wanted more power in the early SSRs, but remember that the LS2 was not production ready. I also recall somebody mentioning (perhaps it was in the SSR book) that the LS1 5.7L wasn't acceptable because the intake wouldn't work and it isn't truck emissions certified. However, they do have the LQ9 HO 6.0 that's used in the Denali/Escalade/Silverado SS trucks. However, I think that even the LQ9 is still an iron block and only the 5.3 came in an all-aluminum version. I think it was simply a decision to go with the weight savings over the power gain on an already overweight vehicle.

The one thing that I wanted in the SSR wasn't there for 03 or 04, and that's the manual transmission. In my mind, a hot rod's gotta have a stick. I honestly think I would have been as satisfied with a 5.3 with a stick as I am with the 6.0 as it's not the brute power that I was after, it's the fun in shifting. Besides that, how many people do you know today that can drive a stick anymore? Keeps people from asking to take it out for a spin! :D

Also, as a reply about using a Holden as a base for the SSR. The GTO when it first came out was almost 100% Monaro underneath the skin. That was the one thing that the auto press hated about it because the cars down under were over-built to survive the very rough roads. That added a lot of unecessary dead weight to the suspension and made it handle very sloppy for the car it was supposed to represent. Not that it was a bad car, just didn't live up to the GTO name.

·
Registered
34 Posts
SSR as GM Poster Child

My SSR (2004-Slingshot Yellow) is a poster child for what is wrong with GM. The myriad of niggling problems have no excuse in a $45K vehicle. Manufacturing quality items such as a defective HVAC blower, faulty seatbelt retractor and rattling exhaust complement design faults like the door window mechanism which freezes in cold, wet weather so you can't get in the car and the chunk of plastic supporting the radiator, which breaks with the slightest parking curb contact.

GM has apparently never figured out that expensive vehicles can not be "cheap and cruddy" under the hood or behind trim panels. It is offensive to be insulted by unfinished edges, molding flash and tacky plastic clips when you had to pay so much.

SSR fanatics may have bought because of the presence of virtues rather than an absence of faults, but it remains a shame that such an inspirational concept isn't executed with much attention to detail or quality.

Having made these complaints, I have to emphasize that I love my SSR. It puts a smile on my face every time I drive it!

·
Registered
128 Posts
The SSR is not a failire.... consider:

All below are esentially 2 seat roadsters that are tough to use as every day drivers - except the SSR really.....

Chrysler built 11,600 Prowlers in five years (1997-2002), four actual model years. And they had to discount the last ones to get them sold.... I think there may still be some "never titled" new ones on the lots. So 11,600 cars and they had trouble getting rid of them.

Dodge built a little over 10,000 Vipers in the GENI and GENII Vipers (1992-2002). These too didn't fly out the door after the dust settled.

Marketing, Quality. Underpowered engines (not the Viper) , no Stick etc. all contributed. But I think that there are only so many people in the world who are willing to shell out 40-90K for a "toy" or even blessed enough to have the money to do so. Or the Garage space.

SSR - about 23-24 thousand Vehicles in a 5 year run. Again, many of the people who might have purchased them already had Prowlers, Vipers etc. The SSR has been successful in getting people to think that the Vette is not the only cool vehicle Chevy makes.

For what it's worth. Someday our kids are going to kick us for not buying everyone of these we could..... if car history repeats itself - come on, a 400 HP engine with a six speed , 3.73 Rear Gears, all the creature comforts AND a Retractable Hard top ?

It will be a while and Mine will have miles on it.... Cause I'm driving it. But they will be worth money when I am too old to care....

John

PS. Prowler values dropped and have been slowly inching up for the past year or two. GENI and GEN II Vipers are holding their own and I think that the SSR will drop further but will then start heading back up as well. Supply and demand.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts