Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The advantages are plenty and obvious. I'm interested to hear the the negatives. Car wasn't design for that much power, warranty issues, or any other concern you may have, please offer them here on this thread. I'm getting close to the point of getting that turbo hopefully and am getting cold feet a bit. My brother in-law says the car won't sell as well as stock if I wanted it to sell it. is that true? I would but a turbo charged SSR any day.

Oh ya, mine is first year edition. what ever that means...

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
From the looks of things - with all the mods being done on the SSR's - there shouldn't be too many 'ORIGINAL' trucks left.

I say go for it on the Turbo - are you considering the rear mounted version???

·
Registered
410 Posts
No

No I would not care to have one. That is my opinion. I like it the way it is. I have not done anything to mine and I am not going to. I have the right to say no just as someone else has the right to yes. :ssr :flag

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Buy an installed xupercharger WITH 3 year powertrain warranty, plus get the rear axle changed to 4.56.

The net result is MUCH quicker than the 05 stock SSR, for still a lot less money, as the supercharger installed with 3 yr warranty plus the rear axle change will cost you $7500, or $8000 at worst. You would have more peak power than the 05 (at least 350 hp even at moderate boost) and a LOT more low and midrange power.

The stock automatic transmission is not the storngest for this application, and that rear axle (the basic axle, not the 4.56 ratio) is also not the ideal, but if you use the truck REASONABLY (i.e. have fun but not abuse it), I doubt you would have any problems.

The only deterrent for me is he amount of actual one shot CASH needed. The ttal expenditure is actually not outrageous at all, but you need to divert about $6500 installed for the supercharger, plus $850 to $1000 for the rear axle ratio change, from wherever in ONE big chunk, rather than sread out as payments on an 05. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but with a son in 2nd year college, and a still unsold extra home in another state, I don't keep that kind of CASH just lying around.

Mind you, it's a great DEAL compared to the 05, as the $7500 or so is much less than the difference in cost between the 04 and 05.

I am starting to view the rear mounted turbo a little less positively, because:

1. With no specific kit being yet available for the SSR, you need to have a standard kit modified and adapted, which raises the cost closer to what a supercharger would cost

2. The rear mounted turbo doesn't produce meaningful power improvments below about 3000 rpm, and our heavy SSRs need the help BELOW that. The supercharger adds power considerbaly sooner than 3000 rpm, and is more linear with rpm than the turbo.

Jim G

·
Registered
322 Posts
Supercharger - Yahoo!!

Well, ours is wearin the Radix for the 05, it was installed by Magnuson.

All I can say, is when they publicly release it - ya gotta have it!! :thumbs

The SSR is a fun ride, but the SC adds a great big VROOM and is soooo much more fun!!! And it sounds cool :cool People have said they heard it light up and were amazed at how fast we take off!! I guess the POWER and COOL factor are it for us!! :flag

Never any issues with it mechanically, temp wise or anything else. If we were gonna break it, we would have already ;)

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I think most people wont' buy rides with add ons because they don't know how they were used. More power means going faster or trying to. so who knows what may have happened to it. If you aren't worried about resale buy it for yourself and have fun.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
wildcat66: You are right about that! Furthermore, if you trade it to a dealer, ANY aftermarket addons, and many costly factory options, are not worth much in HIS eyes either.

If you modify a vehicle, you have to accept that you probably won't recover much if any of that money when you sell or trade.

Jim G

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
this is a very interesting subject!

would it be easier to keep the tires hooked up with the rear mounted turbo?
:confused how do you do it axiom?
ultra high preformance is tonsa fun, but...
I'm looking for something I can use daily :flag

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish someone would post their 0-60 and their 1/4 mile on SC or turbo. How about the dynos?

B

·
0 Posts
dyno

try the search there has been a few post on this with the 5.3 L. MIne was 345 rear wheel hp. 235rwhp stock. Just waiting on the progamming for the 05. I will have one on this SSr also. I sold my 03 for $35,000 with 14000 mi because of mods to it. including interior. see picts on #2117. :thumbs :flag :seeya

·
Registered
322 Posts
mikepowell said:
would it be easier to keep the tires hooked up with the rear mounted turbo?
:confused how do you do it axiom?
ultra high preformance is tonsa fun, but...
I'm looking for something I can use daily :flag

I do have a dyno somewhere filed here, if I can find it, I will post it up :thumbs

How do I do it?? @ 130 MPH Baby!!! As much as possible!! LOL!

No, actually with a DETROIT LOCKER DIF SYSTEM, and the Magnuson SC, and my need for speed.

Roll back a few feet, stop, drop to low 1 and stomp on it!!!!!!! and I always leave a DOUBLE SS on the pavement!! :ssr
I think there is a photo of that in my gallery here. Ours is an experimental set up, automatic with a 6.0 - so my results my be different from others.

Lovin every minute of it!! Especially if I can spot another SSR and show em what she can do!!! But its not always about the HP, I do enjoy just cruizin sometimes and enjoying the view at a much slower pace :lol It is just as nice as a daily driver, the set up is smooth and gentle - unless you want it to behave otherwise - its up to the driver.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The stock 4l60e is a weak link if you plan on Drag racing it. Also are the warranty's transferable if you do decide to get rid of it?

Axiom does the 6.0 have the 4l80E?

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
another question for you Axiom: what did you need to do to the injectors & such?

also if using the rear turbo setup, to me it seems a larger radiator setup could be installed that might up the towing capacity.
I live close to sts turbo mabie I'll hafta make a trip.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
mikepowell: The cooling is THE limitation even with just stock power output. Adding the turbo is great for acceleration, but NOT for towing in this specific case (even though ST Turbo's original market was in mountain trailering), as there is simply no ROOM for a bigger radiator on the SSR. GM would have used a bigger one if they could have, but the shape and size of that front compartment really limited them (low hood and deep fenders limited the engine compartment space)

Jim G

·
Registered
322 Posts
Boosted - I think I need to check before i get that one wrong. As I mentioned - they did an experimental thing. I honestly believe the original is what is still in there. I do not recall hearing about any swaps with all the installs.

Mike- The Magnuson group did the install so they did whatever they wanted. ssshhhh ;) New Plans Workin in that direction next, injectors, throttle mods and some others - don't know if Before Power tour or after. But I do know that the 500+ HP is still the beginning - more modifications to the inner workings are planned to get closer to 600. Steep goal, but I'll enjoy myself either way :thumbs

I will find out more for you this week. :flag

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
look again jim!

without the air box in the way(relocated to the rear with the turb!) mabie a larger radiator and the extra air between the hood and the bowtie?
I think I think too much :flag

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
mikepowell: You COULD be right! It might be possible to cram a lager cooling system in there with the airbox gone.

Jim G

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
For those with the stock 04

Axiom said:
... Roll back a few feet, stop, drop to low 1 and stomp on it!!!!!!! ...
The following won't get you rubber, but it will impress your passenger.

Drop into 1st. Roll easy up to about 2000 rpm, level off and stomp it, level off at 4000 rpm for a moment, and stomp it again, but watch the redline.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Answering some questions

I worked on some of the questions you had for me.........lets see how I do :lol

The Dyno reports are on another "compuker", I need to dig it out of there! :lol

To attempt to explain the diff/trans mods I spoke with some of the project managers.

No need to switch gearing..just bolted in the Truetrac. Since we brought down wheel/tire size (diameter), the gearing is just right.

All SSRs have the 4L60 tranny and it should NOT be a weak link with the standard LS1/LS2 motor. We've thrashed the hell out of them while designing the first supercharger kits when we presented the Magncharger product launch and never had a problem. Testing a 4l60E for example - that was our primary mule.

Rumor has it the the factory has a newly developed 4L70E :thumbs

In regards to the existing Magnacharger Injector question:
The LS-1 Magnacharger kit includes a full set of 42 lb. injectors which supply the added fuel volume to work in concert with the boost requirements.

Here are some photos of the Magnuson SSR prior to her custom paint and mods for SEMA.
The supercharger here, is the Radix on the personal SSR of J. Magnuson.
Sure is Perty Under that Hood!!

Hope this gave some bit of info, didn't seem like much to me, might help tho'

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts